main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It makes absolutely zero sense.

V-2 likes this.
  2. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    HIS MOTHER IS LIVING AS A SLAVE. A SLAVE!!!!!

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Why does "Watto keeps Anakin on as an employee rather than a slave" make zero sense?

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    1. OT never made clear when did Owen make that opinion.
    2. He talked about some "damn fool idealistic crusade", which means he didn't like the choice of Anakin to join the war. And he didn't want Luke to follow the same path.
    3. In OT, we could come with a perfectly logical explanation, base on the lines of Obi Wan and the fact in EP V and EP VI.

Owen knew Anakin later died in the war/became Darth Vader, so of course Owen thought if he had stayed on Tatooine, he would not suffer such fate, probably have an ordinary life like they did, and be able to raise his own children.

4. PT didn't do anything to contradict this point.

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  5. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The whole concept. Yeah, right. This is what Owen meant. Sure it was. You guys are hysterical.

You uncle thought that your father should have remained here and lived with his mother, the slave, and worked for his slave labor boss, who was happy to give him a job for minimum wage and health benefits. Right, sure.

Really..............................................................................

V-2 likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And a free man (or rather, boy) can't share a slave's quarters?

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Go ahead and continue to ignore my point that you have no evidence that Watto would throw him out of the house. It is just as likely that he would want to keep Anakin working for him even if he has to pay him.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I didn't ignore you, I rejected this crazy theory

this is what your theory looks like to me

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually you are going with a theory with a vague line in the OT, and thought PT contradict with your own theory.

Compare to died in young age on the battlefield and become Vader, are you saying it's not better? And remember Shmi was freed later and had a good family.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually PT gave more reason to Owen's thoughts.

The Clone Wars itself is Palpatine's scheme, he used it to raise into power, build the Empire and vanquish the Jedi. Owen mostly knew a bit of it, of course he would think the war is foolish. Even Obi Wan and Yoda would not think that war is awesome, Yoda even mentioned it once.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I reject your crazy theory that he would throw him out into the street when he still has his mother as a slave. How much work do think Shmi would do for him if her son is out on the street.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    As much as she was told if she didn't want to get blown up. She is a slave. She does what she is told. You really don't understand the position these people were in at all.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Anakin also provide important help to Watto. As long as he makes more money than Watto would have to pay him, it's not something bad for him to hire Anakin.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Anakin, so glad you could come back. I could pay you, or you could watch while I press this button and make your mother's head explode in front of you. No? Don't want to see that? Welcome back to slavery!

You guys are hysterical

Jcuk likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It was actually Qui Gonn who he left with when he was 9. And how was the Clone wars an idealistic crusade? It was between disposable people and droids for the main part. Did they have families that grieved when they died in the 'war'?

16. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Watto would get exactly as much work out of Schmi as he wanted, no matter what, because otherwise Watto would set off the bomb he'd implanted in Schmi which guarantee her compliance.

V-2 and Captain Tom Coughlin like this.
  17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But he later followed Obi Wan to the Clone Wars.

I just post it.

The Clone Wars itself is Palpatine's scheme, he used it to raise into power, build the Empire and vanquish the Jedi. Owen mostly knew a bit of it(The Republic has become the Empire, Jedi were executed), of course he would think the war is foolish. Even Obi Wan and Yoda would not think that war is awesome, Yoda even mentioned it once.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I understand quite well actually. However, if Shmi has her son thrown out into the streets where he could very likely die do you really think she cares what threats are made on her?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Then she is no use, and she dies. And Anakin still has no home. You don't get it.

And then on top of all of this, you still have to have this in the context of Owen. That this was such a bright idea that he would held this opinion decades later. It's insane.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    If Anakin could not live well and it was because of Watto, why would Shmi still work for him simply because of her own life?

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That would mean he'd waste all the money she's worth in the first place. Aside from anything else- what makes you think he's that much of a monster?

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Then as I just said. If she doesn't work, she dies. And Anakin still has no home. They have no leverage, because she is a slave.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And Watto would lose another worker, would that give him any benefit? What would be better for him? Hire Anakin and let him work with Shmi to make him money, or threw Anakin to the street and quite possibly lose Shmi as well?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What makes me think this guy who owns a child slave is a monster.......................................................

Hysterical

V-2 likes this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And Watto lose 2 workers to work for him, are you saying it's better than hire Anakin and let Shmi take care of him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.