main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Or maybe Watto allows Anakin to stay and not only does he still have a slave but also possibly Anakin stays on as an employee. See we can both make our own little assumptions but in the end all that matters is what is in the film. Anakin has the choice to stay with his mother. That is what is shown in the film and there is no getting around it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a difference between continuing to own someone you've won in a bet- and killing them out-of-hand. Watto is not Jabba.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually he is not a bad person according to EU, and even if he was, he would not simply do evil with the cost of his own benefit.

It's not good or evil, it's about which way would bring more benefit to you.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    You don't have to explain the story to me. I know it, oddly enough.

5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Well, then there is only one thing left to say. If what you guys are saying was meant to be the truth, Owen may be the dumbest man in the galaxy. Too funny, that you guys even believe what you type amazes me.

"Your uncle didn't hold with your father's ideals. He thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved. He believed that your nine year old father should have returned to his mother in slavery, and asked his former slave boss who was still angry over losing him for a job, because who knows? Maybe that slave driving junk dealer has a heart of gold. Your uncle thought that Anakin should have lived there with his slave mom in their slave hut, and Anakin could have worked for his former slave boss, who was just itching to pay your father for his work. Becaue you know, those are the ideals your uncle agreed with" LOL

Right, this makes perfect sense. How could I have not seen this myself!

V-2 and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It amazes me how much you exaggerate things to make it look like our views are silly. I would say that Owen thought Anakin was better off staying with his mother and eventually coming to live with the Larses. Anakin and Owen could have grown up as brothers and eventually taken over the farm together. Lived the simple life with families of their own. That's the kind of life I'm saying Owen could have wished for Anakin to have. But no your right getting himself killed or worse in a war is much better in Owen's eyes, right? :rolleyes:

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's the gist of it, whether or not that makes you comfortable or not. That was the situation. That is basically what you are expecting us to buy into.

8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think we're forgetting that scene in TPM with Anakin rescuing Jarjar from Sebulba...

Without Anakin's slave status, he'd have become fair game. Any potential podracing career would likely have been cut short, probably by Sebulba himself. I'd think Schmi would realise this too.

9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That's an excellent point. That world is filled with dangerous gangsters. Sebulba one of countless.I mentioned that a few times.

10. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    This is an excellent and accurate interpretation of the GL apologist's version of what Owen really meant. I was in the middle of typing out this this very thing when you posted. Good Work, Captain Tom Coughlin.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well Anakin proved his as a young star and winner, so there is going to be businessmen to support him because he would bring them money and attract attention of the game. People want to see new and young faces rather than Sebulba dominate the game. Don't forget Sebulba was also once a slave, only became the star because of his racing skills.

That's how business works.

Andy Wylde and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So you are still ignoring what happened to Anakin later?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    To be honest, it's fascinating to me that people stand by these opinions.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm also quite fascinated of you keep thinking stay on Tatooine is surely worse than Anakin's end in the Clone Wars.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Never underestimate people's desire to win an argument no matter how ridiculous a stance into which it forces them.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Are you talking about throw out a theory of Owen should be proud of his brother, ignoring the OT and then later started some meaningless questions?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No sorry that is not the gist of it. Your ignoring half the story because it doesn't fit with your nice dialogue there. Owen's father is the one who freed Shmi from slavery so of course Owen wouldn't have wanted them to remain in that situation, that's silly. He knows though that Anakin would have come with his mother to the Lars homestead and they could have built a better life there. Anakin would never have left to become and Jedi and he would never have become involved in the wars. He would have never gotten himself killed or became Darth Vader. But go ahead and tell me why Owen is wrong in thinking that Anakin could have found a better life on the homestead.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    There are fans that don't like being confronted with obvious flaws in the narrative. I have seen some crazy explanations here in my short time on this board.

TOSCHESTATION, V-2 and Jcuk like this.
  19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Owen's father wasn't there at the time, though. Was he. I'm not ignoring anything. I get your point. I got it yesterday. I don't find it remotely plausible. I won't tomorrow or next week either.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    A case could be made that Lucas changed Anakin's backstory from "ex-farmer" to "ex-slave" .

Thus, making previous statements make less sense.

ANH novel supports the notion that Anakin was a farmer for a while:

"Owen Lars didn't agree with your fathers ideas, opinions, or his philosophy of life. He believed that your father should have stayed here on Tatooine and not gotten involved in ... " Again the seemingly indifferent shrug. "Well, he thought he should have stayed here and minded his farming."

Still- we don't know that for sure.

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think it's clear that Lucas changed the story. That's why they don't line up.

TOSCHESTATION, V-2 and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Problem is "Anakin was a farmer" isn't in the movie- only the book ;)

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It is a problem. And that is the context of this conversation. Critics talking about the flaws in the series. Obviously, what we hear from Obi-Wan in ANH does not match up well with the PT. That's the only point anyone here is making.

Had something like that been shown to us, it would have fit better

TOSCHESTATION and V-2 like this.
  24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    But he didnt know Anakin. And if that's how he felt then why not take it up with them when they turned up? Hey I've got a bone to pick with you Jedi! And it was the Jedi that presented Anakin with the chance to gain freedom. If Anakin had lost the pod race, who's to say him and his mum would've ended up at the Lars homestead? Rubbish IMO

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't understand why is it still going on.

Firstly you come up with a vague line, which never made clear of when and why Owen thought that way. Then you come up with your own theory and was keep changing your idea through the conversation, saying other people understanding is fan theory.

Seriously, in OT, which makes more sense? Owen didn't agree Anakin's idea and choice, thought he should have stayed on Tatooine because

1. So Anakin would not become a Jedi to fulfill his dream, to fight for peace and justice, became a hero, and Owen didn't want Luke to go the same way.

OR

2. So Anakin would not die in such a young age or become Vader, and Owen didn't want Luke to go the same way?

Actually PT added more sense to Owen's thought.

He thought it's just some foolish ideal crusade because the Clone Wars is just a scheme by Palpatine to rise on power and vanquish the Jedi.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.