main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    I loved the show as a kid. Believe it or not, it came as a shock to me in middle school when my Mom told me that it was supposed to be funny. I insisted that no, it was a serious show. Now I watch it and think, "Oh...yeah..."

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    It's like a dream.

[​IMG]

3. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    So I have news to report. Bad news is twofold: one is that my brief romance with Doctor Who is over. Try as I might, I became bored and no longer cared what happened to the Doctor and his companion. The other bit of bad news is that something that happens to me rather rarely. I am unable to finish a book. That book being Running with the Demon by Terry Brooks. I have attempted several times to get into this Shannarah book, but to no avail. It. Is. Boring.

On the good news front, I have engrossed myself in a different series. Though I do find it hard to admit that, up until now, I had never read Ender's Game. And I'm glad I finally did.

4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Re: Terry Brooks - if it's any comfort, the original Sword of Shannara was no better.

Re: Ender's Game - congratulations on reading one of the better science fiction books out there. Don't know about the rest of the series, and Orson Scott Card has really written nothing else in his entire career that comes close to it, but Ender's Game is a gorgeous piece of work.

5. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    I agree. Ender's Game was a great work of literature IMO. It's been years since I picked up that book or any in its series however...

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Ender's Game is great; the author, however, is a total bigot in my eyes.

7. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Ender's Game is great. The sequel is awful.

8. Rampani

Feb 25, 2003
    I really can't explain why I took so long to read Ender's Game. I mean, I've known about it forever. I just never made the leap into reading it. Once I did pick it up, however, I couldn't put it down. Though I will say that I kinda saw the "twist" at the end coming, that didn't take away from the gravity of the event.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Speaking of twists, I just watched The Great Silence for the first time.

And really, all I can say about the ending is
    [​IMG]

10. Rampani

Feb 25, 2003
    NOTE: Ramza, Penguinator, if you would like, you may edit this post in any way you see fit, even if it means deleting the whole thing. You both know whats best for the RPF and I trust you to do what is in the best interest of the forum.

On a serious note, I'm going to ask the RPF crowd a serious question. Yes, this is actually serious and not an attempt to be witty and sarcastic. I know, I know, so unlike me. Anyway, part of the reason I ask is that I tend to find this group of people trustworthy and able to give good advice. The question thus follows....

Last August I told (in a letter) a girl who I had been seeing that, although I loved her, it would be better that we went our separate ways because she had a tendency to hurt me emotionally. I ended up moving away (1100 miles) after graduating from college and didn't hear from this girl for the longest time. Then, the day before Christmas Eve, she contacted me me. The text consisted of how she missed the time we spent together. I responded by telling her that I still cared about her as much as I had in the letter. She never responded.

I made a decision that this upcoming April that I would make a trip to see the friends I had made in my college town. The trip would consist of a week of hanging out with college friends and generally having a good time. The question I have for my RPF friends thus follows: Should I contact this girl and arrange a meeting with her or should I just walk away from the whole situation?

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Given the rationale for your break-up, I think it's best to just avoid what's potentially a raw emotional spot. It doesn't sound like the potential to just be friends is really there; and even if there were, given the "she had a tendency to hurt me emotionally," that's all you should aspire to. People who legitimately care about people don't hurt those people - that BS about "hurting the ones we love the most" is just that, BS.

That said standard rule of thumb regarding asking the JC for personal advice ("That's a bad idea but we'll allow it") applies. :p

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Why do we fall? So that we may learn to pick ourselves back up.

You get hurt, you'll learn from it, but you might not get hurt. At the end of the day, you're the one calling the shots about your life.

13. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Walk away, Rampani. Don't believe the lie that there's only one person for you in the whole world and that Destiny Is Unfulfilled If You Do Not Meet Them. Someone once said to me "If someone says they're breaking up with you because you're not suited to each other, they are always correct, whether you agree with them or not." If she's not that interested in responding to your reply, then why bother? If she was that desperate to talk to you after you confessing your feelings for her, she'd have replied. Don't. Don't do it. On this one I can assure you from personal experience that, even for the most un-self-confident guy on the world in what is the most remote city on the planet, there is more than one person in the world you can fall in love with. It's just a matter of finding them - and sticking to the sensible but essential criteria you have for a relationship, No. 1 of which is "No twisted, emotionally sadistic partners need apply." Move on, find one of the majority of people on the planet who aren't screwed up, have a happy life. :)

14. Rampani

Feb 25, 2003
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it. And now, back to the totally irreverent side of me....

So I found this thing. Seems like a fairly awesome thing.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I KNOW, RIGHT?

They actually got Alan Young to come out of pseudo-retirement to record Scrooge's dialogue! The music is being re-recorded! Some third thing!

Soon Gamespot's Greatest Sidekick (Chosen by /v/ /co/ and /mu/ the internet) will ride again!

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Can one of you please explain to me the big deal? I don't know why DuckTales being remastered is such a thing.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's a really fun game and the remastering looks spectacular from both a technical and a nostalgic "MAH CHILDHOOD" perspective.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Double post but:
    [​IMG]

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You like bonking piano's?

20. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    *Walks into new Hoopers for the first time in too long.* Equines bonking piano's you say? My Word! This calls for a double shot of coffee and a bowl of coffee ice-cream with cascaded cold coffee to make a float. By George I think that'll do it!

Now, *quack* I must go count my credits. Maybe swim in them until my fingers are scrapped. :p

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sure. Back in 19-dickety-2 - we had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word for twenty - we used to go around all day, bonking our heads on pianos. Now young Barney McGee - from the banks of the Lee - he would come up to me, and he'd say "Hey Ramza, I know you're bonking a piano right now, but where'd you get that snazzy onion?" Now, I was wearing an onion because that was the style at the time. We would take a big old yellow onion - we didn't have red onions, because of the war - tie it on some string, and loop it around our arms. Back in those days a good yellow onion would cost you a nickel - which, at the time, had pictures of bees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Anyway Barney asks me where I got that snazzy onion, and I'd reply that I'd gotten them from the onion vendor over in Shelbyville. In those days you could catch the trolley to Shelbyville from downtown for a penny, or "Honest Abes" as they were known. So we bonk on down to the station and give the guy a bee and we get four Honest Abes change. The important thing, of course, was that I was wearing an onion - as was the style at the time...

[​IMG]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. Rampani

Feb 25, 2003
    Penguinator, its awesome because Launchpad McQuack. Not to mention the fact that the reveal trailer is a sing-a-long. A SING-A-LONG.

23. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    A catchy one at that :p

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Launchpad McQuack is awesome when he's Darkwing Duck, man!

25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    *When he's IN Darkwing Duck, even.