main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The first game you ever played

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by General Immodet, Mar 23, 2013.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    What is the first game you ever played?
    Since I only had a computer available in 1999. The first game I played was Midtown Madness because I got it for free when we decided to buy a computer at home.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Uhh probably the Spyro series for the PS1

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    1st game that I played on my own home console is Super Mario Bros for NES in 1987.

But I've played arcade games and on friends' Ataris before that, can't really remember the 1st. Might've been the 1983 Star Wars Arcade, or maybe Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Q-Bert, Centipede. But for the sake of these boards, I'll go with Star Wars, lol

Lady_Misty likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think it was called Grit Ball and it was one of the first home game console games. It was basically a ripoff of Pong.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Probably one of the Solitaire games under Windows. My first (and only) console is the PS2 I got so I could play Bounty Hunter.

6. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Hmm.. It was either Star Wars Shadows of the Empire or somekind of flying game, think it was called Pilotwings for N64 :D

7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Rayman on PS1. Still love it today.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think it was Thexder or Alley Cat on the PC.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  10. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I can honestly say that I was too young to remember.

The first game I remember completing was Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. I still own the PS1 disc actually, and stick it in for nostalgia's sake every now and then.

11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Super Mario Bros.

Trimaj, Slash78 and Lady_Misty like this.
  12. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Probably Super Mario World, since the SNES was my first console. Though I can't remember for sure.

13. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    The first game I ever played would have been some sort of game at the local arcade around the late 1980s. I also would have played my cousin's Atari around the same time.

The first computer game I ever played was some golf game on my school's Apple ][ in 1989.

The first game I ever played on a machine we owned was Space Quest I in 1991 (on our new PC - a 386 IBM Compatible, with it's whopping huge 40mb hard drive :p ).

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Monopoly on the GameCube.

15. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    One of the first arcade games I remember playing was something at a skating rink with knock-offs of TIE Fighters. It might have been the game from the 1980 movie "Midnight Madness", but I'm guessing there were several similar games at the time when everyone was copying SW in some way or another.
    Here is the scene (1:17):

The first game I played at home was Combat because it was included with my Atari. I'm guessing I might have played Atari at someone else's house before that.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  16. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Either Gyromite or Duck Hunt, that's what came with the NES way back when.

Amazing.

17. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    When I think of it, I kind of miss the old arcade games. Although games have become better and better over the years, those arcade games were still fun to play back in the day.
    Somehow, it makes me feel nostalgic.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  18. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Agreed. I miss a bunch of those old games! Star Wars, Contra, Robocop, TMNT, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon(to name a few off the top of my head).

19. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I wish I had time and patience to get out my Nintendo games and play from beginning to end but I don't feel like putting in several hours just to die three times and have to start all over again. It is neat how I can remember where hidden items are located or know which way to go.
    The older arcade (and Atari) games were simple and didn't really have an ending. The same thing was just played over and over again and achievement was gauged through points, although I never cared about points. I just wanted to play. I never put my initials into a game when I was done. That can probably be psychoanalyzed some kind of way. Simple stuff like Defender or Warlords or Dig Dug allowed for the imagination to flourish while playing. I often read of the "Video Game Crash of 1984" or negative comments about the look of Atari's Pac-Man version, but to a little kid, none of that mattered. It was Pac-Man either way, and arcades were just as alluring and crowded for the rest of the decade.

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I simply can't remember. I'm pretty certain it was Pong or a variation thereof that I played in this Mattel console my uncle acquired so many decades ago. Then a little while later we somehow got a ahold of an Atari 2600. Regardless, I've always loved video games in one way our another.

21. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Omg! That was one of the first games i ever played. Well actually my dad played it, i watched :) I still have it somewhere, so many memories :3
    You're the first person i'v ever seen, to have owned that game :)

07jonesj likes this.
  22. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    :D

I actually pulled it out a couple of hours ago. Still a fun platformer, and I remember where some of the gems were. Astounds me how far games have come in a mere 15 years though.

Beat the first boss, and must have upped my gamer skill somewhat since I was young. I remember spending ages on that big duck.

hunter77 likes this.
  23. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm not actually sure if I remember the first game I ever played, but I certainly view Gex: Enter the Gecko as the earliest I remember. The first game and console(PS1) I ever got in Christmas of 98. I still own the disc and play through it occasionally today. I think the first video game I actually saw was Destruction Derby, but I'm not positive when I first really noticed video games but 98 was the big year I noticed them.

24. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    From memory the earliest one was Ghostbusters. On the Commodore 64.

...what? You think your fingers fall off when you hit 30 or something?

Trimaj, Life and 07jonesj like this.
  25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Thee earliest gaming memory I have is of playing Black Cauldron on my friends computer in the mid 80s. No clue if that was the first game I ever played though.