main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Retcons and fitting in TCW into the broader EU

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by General Immodet, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Ignore all the EU getting used as well

**** it is EU as far as I'm concerned seeing how it isn't the movies

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes, they use EU. But in a way that often contradicts previous portrayals. They used Ryloth but took away it's defining characteristic. Lucas just considers the EU to be a well of ideas that can be altered at will.

3. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
  4. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    See, the very fact that these threads exist proves the point about why the way that Lucas has run the EU was flawed and why Disney won't do things the same way. You have multiple threads full of fans saying, essentially, "I hate Star Wars Story X because I invested money, time, effort, and caring into Star Wars Story Y, and then X came along and totally contradicted it, making all my investment in Y worthless". Well, that's a good point, and it's one that Disney both is well aware of and is going to avoid like the plague. Disney wants every fan to like (and want to spend money on) every single piece of Star Wars product they push out the door - they want you to want to buy every comic, read every novel, listen to every CD, see every movie, watch every TV show, play with every toy, build every model, wear every costume, and collect every Taco Bell 32-ounce plastic cup that has the Star Wars logo on it. If you say: "I'm not going to buy/read/listen/see/watch/play/build/wear/collect that, because it contradicts this other Star Wars story I really liked", then Disney has failed - they've lost money that they could have gotten from you if you'd decided to spend your money on it.

I know I've just gotten through saying that Disney will totally ignore the EU, so that seems a little contradictory, so let me clear that up. Disney will roundly ignore any EU that isn't "theirs" - by which I mean, more or less, anything produced before the buyout or that was "in the pipeline" before it such that it isn't practical to cancel it. But once they get "their own" franchise properties (i.e. games, novels, comics, TV shows, etc.) going, they will make damn sure that all of it builds on the franchise (and makes you want more of it) instead of contradicting and tearing down any part of it (and thus making you not want some of it). This, by the way, is one reason why Disney is dumping the PT era wholesale to concentrate on the ST era - they want their own sandbox to play in, where they control the story completely. It'll be a clean sweep and a fresh start. This is Year Zero, and history starts now.

5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Intends to make theme park with EU included
    Nope
    http://www.slashfilm.com/theme-park...versal-studios-announces-vip-experience-tour/

6. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Sorry, I'm not seeing that in the article you linked to. Unless I've very much missed something, all the article really says is that Disney has passed out a bunch of surveys that some guy on Twitter thinks might lead to a Star Wars theme park, which may or may not ever happen, and if it does, may or may not contain EU characters. To get from there to "Disney is going to build a theme park with EU in it" takes wild-ass speculation on a truly galactic level.

Even if there is a theme park, it will not have EU in it. Not. Gonna. Happen. Space in any theme park is limited. Once Disney develops its own set of characters for the ST, those are the ones it's going to devote precious floor space to, not to Juno Eclipse or Dash Rendar. Sorry.

kubricklynch likes this.
  7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Meets facts with baseless assumptions
    >The dudes twitter and Survey are two different things
    >Survey ****ing says "How familiar are you with the Star Wars universe? By "Star Wars universe", we mean people, places and stories in the Star Wars movies, books and games."

8. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    >Bullet points do not make your ideas any weightier
    >Not impressed
    >Please cut it out.

Also, again, you guys are reading huge amounts of imaginary significance into that question. This single question on a survey is the new "Pull the building" of the Star Wars universe - a minor comment that people are going to read all kinds of things they want to believe into.

9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Tries to meet facts and logical assumptions with nonsense

10. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Yeah yeah - all hardcore conspiracy theorists accuse anyone who's not willing to make the huge, unsupported leaps of logic that they are of being blind, willfully or otherwise. If you don't think that "Pull the building" is proof of a huge conspiracy, you're one of the sheeple. Sorry, but neither "Pull the building" nor your survey question prove a damn thing.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  11. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Hey, I was in Disneyland the other day, and someone who worked there asked me if I knew what time it was. Clearly, that means that Disney plans to build a theme park based on the mid-1960s TV series The Time Tunnel. Don't you see it? They wouldn't have asked about time otherwise.

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Do you guys always have to argue? [face_sigh]

13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Now your comparing me with a conspiracy theorist when my information has some basis? Are you on that stuff?
    He keeps acting like I'm pulling stuff out of my ass like I'm some ST fourm regular and has nothing concrete to refute it. I'm offended

14. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Why do they always have to argue?

15. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    They were just trying to figure out how much people knew about Star Wars. They mentioned the books, but that doesn't mean they're planning on using book elements in the theme park that may or may not even come to fruition. And even if they did use EU elements, that doesn't mean that Disney is going to keep the old EU in continuity.

If Disney make their "own" EU, we might see a few characters, locations, etc from the old EU. But they could be changed or in radically different situations or eras.

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That's pants on head retarded

17. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    What a brilliant argument, you've convinced me! Clearly, Disney will slavishly adhere to all EU, the ST will feature Trioculus and Ken Palpatine.

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I was going to elaborate more. For example, what resoning would they have for changing it? Nothing. The only proof you have is in your mind

19. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Because, in all likelihood the ST will not follow EU. I highly doubt Lucas's outline considers the EU. Why keep an EU alive that will be contradicted by their new trilogy

Lucas ignored the EU for the PT and TCW, but suddenly for the ST he will care?

20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You keep saying this but I continue to see baseless speculation and assumption

21. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    If they ran over continuity for a cartoon that has a tenth of the potential audience for the ST, then why wouldn't they do it for the ST as well?

22. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Esg, even if we really want it to, let's be honest, it's most likely not going to follow the EU.

23. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Exactly. And i'm not saying this as anti-EU person, I used to be obsessed with the EU. A lot of is better than some of the movies.

24. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, it's about being realistic. Better to adjust your expectations now than to be hugely disappointed in 2015.

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not gonna let pessimism cloud the fact we have no proof either way. So until I actually see something extreme I'm not buckling anytime soon