main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Palpatine's Origins...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Mar 22, 2013.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Would you care to explain a bit? I have never read the novel.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody is "destined" to do anything.

Palpatine made his own choices. He chose to become a Sith. Had he not met Plagueis, he most likely would have chosen to do something evil other than being a Sith.

But it would have been his choice.

I don't see the Palpatine we met in Plagueis choosing to do anything good or compassionate with his life, but could he have chosen to do so? Absolutely. It just wasn't likely.

On the racing: Wild Space mentioned that Palpatine won several racing cups when he was younger. He was discussing this with Bail and Padme as he flew them out to see the damage from a bomb in the Senatorial District. They were surprised that he was flying his own speeder. He said he never mentioned his winning cups because "likes to fly large vehicles really fast" wouldn't have been much of a campaign slogan. (Paraphrase on my part, I don't have the book in front of me.)

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I do:

"You're going to fly us?" said Bail, comically surprised. "Sir, I can-"

"No, no, that won't be necessary," said Palpatine, waving aside his concern. Actually, I'm quite an accomplished pilot. And every so often I enjoy carting myself about the place. Not that this is a pleasure trip, obviously. But I'd like you both to concentrate on the results of the Separatists' attack." Taking in their continued hesitation, he added, "Did you want to see my licence? It is current, I promise. You'll be perfectly safe."

Padme grinned. She couldn't help it. Here was the Palpatine she remembered of old. Energetic, unexpected, with a sly sense of the ridiculous. She turned to Bail. "The Chancellor's right, Senator. You'll be quite safe. He won several cups for airspeeder racing back on Naboo."

"He did?" said Bail, relaxing. "I don't recall that being mentioned in the Senate."

"Oh yes," said Palpatine drily. "What a useful recommendation for my candidacy. Likes to drive dangerous machines very fast."

"Well, if you do, Supreme Chancellor, you're not alone," said Bail. "I've been known to break a speed limit myself, once or twice."

Palpatine's smile was conspiratorial. "And it shall remain our secret, my friend. Now, Senators, if you'd care to join me?"

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    That...seems...very fanfic-y, but that could just be me.

Darth_Kiryan and Sable_Hart like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's actually a fun book, Jack.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I found it fun, at least. The next two by Miller, less so- but I didn't find them especially horrible, either.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked the books for the Anakin and Obi-Wan friendship. I also enjoyed seeing Padme as a brilliant politician, and her friendship with Bail, which was completely platonic of course--it's always good to see an author who can write a male and female character as close friends without it having to lead to ****ing. Also, Palpatine was well done, slimy, sneaky, made me want a shower after reading scenes with him in it.

Plus there was a nice A/P scene in Wild Space involving the two of them in bed with Anakin getting naughty with some fruit.

8. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    It was kinda bizarre at first, but I suppose Palpatine's hobbies can't just extend to torturing furry animals.

AusStig and CT-867-5309 like this.
  9. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Oh Lord. "Padme, do you wanna see something else that is messy and gets everywhere... but isn't sand?"

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL. But no, Anakin was actually smooth in this scene.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  11. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    My reading of the racing stuff in Plagueis was that Palpatine used it as an excuse to kill people. I think that's why Luceno put it there (apart from having to put it there because of Wild Space), but maybe that's just my interpretation. I think it's quite clear that he ran over those pedestrians on purpose, though.

P.S. I'm so sure he wouldn't have a valid driver's license by the Clone Wars.... :p

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Then I must ask, who are those pedestrians he ran over? If he ran them over on purpose, they must be of some importence (unless Palpatine truly enjoys killing innocent people).

13. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Good question. Do we know the names of the people he ran over?

14. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    We don't. But think like an unhinged murderous psychopath: what's the fun of killing people you know? Innocent strangers' where it's at. [face_devil]

15. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    True. I guess the question is did he kill just for the fun of it, or were they a target of some sort due to a personal vendetta?

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You realise that this just further goes to show that Qui-Gon Jinn messed everything up.

If Qui-Gon hadn't interfered, Anakin would have gone on to be a galaxy-famous Pod Racer. Palpatine, the racing fan, would have gone to watch one of his races. During the race, Anakin would have suddenly received a "hey, just swerve a little" nudge from the Force and have followed it, like he did all his instincts. Then, boom, he'd have gone thundering into the spectators' box, killing Palpatine and bringing balance to the Force.

RC-1991, Gorefiend, Zorrixor and 12 others like this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    [face_laugh]

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    All Miller's books read like fanfic. Sometimes it's kind of interesting, but usually . . . yeah, it's weird.

19. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    This is going to sound incredibly sexist . . . but I haven't read a Star wars book written by a female that i've found to be of great quality. Perhaps with the execption of The Truce at Bakura/Balance Point.

I know it sounds bad, but it's the truth.

20. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    ^Add Hard Contact onto that list

21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It's probably because the authors are women, not because Star Wars books tend to be low quality in general.

fett 4, JackG, V-2 and 2 others like this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Come on, the description of the dinner party in The Truce at Bakura was exquisite.

V-2 likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Probably because of the proportion of female to male Star Wars book authors.

24. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    It's probably because the authors are women, not because Star Wars books tend to be low quality in general.[/quote]

Once again, this is purely what i have found, but off the top of my head I can't think of an adult SW book that hasn't been written by woman, and that I haven't liked.
    I think karen Traviss had the potential, but ruined it with her twisted journalistic viewpoints.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You like a hell of a lot more of the books than I do.

darklordoftech likes this.