main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How does Padme love Anakin? (Did she have too much whine?)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I think you're still confusing love with Scientology. That's okay. A great number of you human beings do this. Which is why when it comes to real love, most of you human beings are in a space volcano full of ghosts. [face_dancing]

2. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    ... What are you?

3. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't like smoking crack. No thank you.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  4. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I don't see how he begged for sex in the films, not at all.

Those men, women, and children all probably tourtured his mother, I can't really blame him. I would have killed them all too.

Brings his mother's corpse back for a proper burial after failing to rescue her, what is wrong with that?

Padme probably understands his frustration since she made it sound like she gets frustrated with the senate and her job and feeling overwhelmed sometimes, something they have in common.

At least he is not ten years older, backed her into a lonely corner of his ship, and physically forced himself on her despite her objecting like Han did with Leia. That is the best way to turn a woman off of you forever. I never understood how Leia could like Han after that.

5. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Where do we start?

6. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Seriously though Padme's dress in that movie... I probably would have been tempted to touch, too.

7. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Look at the 29 second mark in the video I posted above. When she says it's Lucas' first romance movie she goes to make quotation marks with her hands while her face kinda cringes. Then 1:05 - 1:20 he admits the OT didn't center around a love story and that he had to do so in the prequels in a 'condensed' fashion. The actors know he messed up, he knows he messed up. End of story. The Phantom Menace simply shouldn't have been made. It tied Lucas hands in the telling of the love story and in telling Anakins overall turn to the dark side. In other behind the scenes interviews/footage you see Haden questioning Lucas decision to make the transition to the darkside so quick and simplistic. Lucas said he wanted to have Haden portray a child like innocence while at the same time struggling with joining the darkside - and that, Lucas said, is how good people really turn bad. His entire vision was warped with the prequels. He really really should've had other people helping to write, produce and direct.

You see him basically repeat Lucas direction at the 2:29 - 2:35 mark in the video below

When his initial instinct was to play Anakin in a darker way as shown at the 0:50 - 0:56 mark in the video below

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  8. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    yeah...How many thousand threads on this subject??? and people still ask..

9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    How does Padme love Anakin? Because she emotionally connected to him.

How can anyone analyze love? Why would anyone try to analyze love? Why do people assume that someone's moral behavior is going to deter another person from falling in love?

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I don't see how TPM got in the way. It lays the foundations for Anakin and Padme's epic love.

"Anything and everything" is a strawman of that user's making. So is the "Scientology" dig. You can mock DRush76 if you must, but you've conveniently passed over more extreme remarks immediately above. If Lucas must be defended anywhere, why not on a prequel trilogy forum? What, so fans of Edgar Allan Poe, or The Beatles, or Andy Warhol, or Stanley Kubrick, can't express their love and admiration on fan sites for fear of being labelled deranged: implicitly or overtly? That's garbage. Lucas is a popular filmmaker that has taken his share of knocks; more than his share. Faking indignation at people who happen to LIKE his choices and are keen enough to SAY SO on public forums -- after this man has been nothing but decried, beaten, tarred, and feathered in the media/pop culture the past fourteen years -- is simply ridiculous. It's merely a measure of one's own frustration because the conversation isn't going your way: a cheap opportunity to malign others on the basis of a difference of opinion. No other filmmaker has had so much mud thrown at them. No other fanbase is so fractured. Some defence of the man and his work is completely healthy, and warranted, frankly.

I get the thrust of RLM's jibe where the "corpse" issue goes, but it doesn't strike me as much more than a cheap joke. In essence, Stoklasa turned the film into a crude series of puns. Once he'd done that, tearing it apart was like shooting fish in a barrel. And obviously -- at least, obvious to a prequel fan -- he divested the film of all context in order to do so. It's hard to believe some people take those "points" of his seriously sight unseen, but apparently they do.

If there's any reasonable observation to rescue from the jagged humour of that part of the RLM review, then it might be that the loss of Anakin's mom casts an unsettling pall over the romance, infusing it with a darker tone. To put this another way, the mother, in her burlap burial sack, is like some ceremonial gift that Anakin fetches for Padme: the warrior returning with his prize -- after being on the prowl all night -- to win the heart of his fair maiden. Only once Anakin has ritualistically mourned, placing his maternal guardian in the ground, in the sand, and left her sleeping corpse behind, is he entitled to a vow of chastity from his water goddess.

What the RLM review did is to twist everything around, creating some darkly comedic mirror of the film's actual romance, parodying it by playing it off of enlarged contemporary stereotypes. It worked a treat. But it also missed all that is mythic, unusual, and beautiful about the romance that George Lucas conceived and chose to work into his most brooding and allegorical work: his own cinematic monolith. It's sad that there isn't an equivalent video series that exists which explicitly argues FOR the prequels and extols them as interesting, multi-layered, sizeable works of art.

She has the most divine back. How many times do we get to see that side of feminine beauty shown so matter-of-factly -- yet, plainly, erotically -- in cinema of any kind, let alone a blockbuster movie? And Anakin may come from an arid dustbowl, but it's nice to see he's capable of appreciating the finer things in life.

More smack. The prequels got made according to Lucas' vision -- which is a pretty extraordinary one, in my view. TPM is a movie that puts all the major thematic pieces on the table; and is also both the table and its shadow. It does a tremendous amount in and of itself, constraining AOTC and ROTS in some ways, but setting them free in others. Good people turn bad in a variety of ways. Star Wars is allegorical. Nobody who turns bad has ever burned up on a lava planet, been rescued by a grim reaper, then been painfully remade into an iconic cyborg. Nobody. The "love story" cuts across all three prequels, but only the middle installment is a true romance: the way it was intended to be. I think Lucas did a fine job writing, producing (with Rick McCallum), and directing all three.

I don't see anything remotely problematic in the videos you've inputted. Could it be that you just don't understand these movies or care much about a colourful backstory in the first place?

11. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    From a woman's perspective, I don't think Anakin in AOTC was someone I'd want to be around with the sort of behavior he exhibited. I have no idea why Padme fell for him. I think that's one of the things in the PT that was a bit weak. GL sort of forced the situation rather than letting it happen more naturally. The fact is, you can't just be a whiny brat with violent tendencies and get the girl at the end of the day. Oh hell no. Now, Anakin at the beginning of ROTS... [face_love] At least until he starts becoming obsessed with the dark side.

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Anakin is the worst character ever put on film...

TOSCHESTATION and Jcuk like this.
  13. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I just watched AOTC again and I think there is a lot to be explained by Padme's immaturity when it comes to relationships. She's spent 10 years of her life married to her people and hasn't had any experience with things outside of that. She's like a teen girl with her first serious crush/budding relationship. And Anakin is devoted to her and pretty cute to boot - what we see as the awkwardness of a 19 year old date-virgin is endearing to her.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Mata2010 like this.
  14. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    That may be the best explanation I've seen. We tend to forget that while Padme may have been older, she wasn't really any more experienced in the love department than Anakin was.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Mata2010 like this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    He is?o_O

Now, I wanna go buy some deathsticks.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    He was bad enough that Lucas had him pretty much re-written in the TCW cartoon.

TOSCHESTATION and Darth kRud like this.
  17. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Speak for yourself, I am a women and I have no problem seeing why she fell for Anakin...He's pretty much the same man you see in ROTS, but a lot open and wishing for acceptance which make his frustrations the first thing you see if you will.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and minnishe like this.
  18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Agreed. But that doesn't make him the worst character ever put on film.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    She has bad taste in dudes though book Anakin is pretty badass.

20. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 26, 2005
    One of my New Year's resolutions for 2013 was to stop wasting time arguing about trivial things on the internet. I don't think I'm going to make it a regular habit again, but I just wanted to respond to some things I saw in the first post of this thread:

How are these negatives to Padme? Anakin's first small argument with Obi-Wan (and he's not that disrespectful to Obi-Wan in AOTC, fan exaggerations aside) was over how much they should do to help Padme. Anakin says that they'll do anything they can to hunt down her attempted killer. Obi-Wan dispassionately (and the prequel Jedi are defined by their lack of compassion) says that they'll do no such thing, because their mission is limited to protecting her.

Now why would Padme take Obi-Wan's side in this?! Anakin's the one who wants to do more for her, after all. Furthermore, one of Padme's defining traits in AOTC is her pronounced individualism. She goes against the Senate and constantly questions the Jedi assigned to protect her. She breaks rules and takes risks according to her own decisions, some of which are recklessly brave. Padme's the one who made up her own plan to draw out the assassin. Yet she's supposed to sit down and like it when Obi-Wan places limits on what she and Anakin are supposed to do in her defense?

Really, I can just stop right here because this is a perfect example of the kind of close-minded thinking behind a lot of prequel criticism. The first poster obviously favors Obi-Wan. Maybe he's an older Original Trilogy fan, and he likes the older Original Trilogy character. But whatever the reason, he seems to think that the characters in the movie should take the same sides that he does. This is ignoring that the characters have their own personalities and motivations. It's a failure to see past one's own opinion.

Same goes for Anakin wiping out the Tusken Raiders, who Padme only knows as murderous, inhuman monsters who killed his mother. In a real world where I've seen normal people dehumanizing entire countries or races, I don't find Padme's lack of sympathy for the Tuskens to be that unbelievable. Again, this is an anti-prequel fan projecting his dislike for Anakin onto the characters.

Padme and Anakin aren't supposed to have a healthy relationship. They're two people with isolated upbringings, who come together because they are passionate about their duty to serve a corrupted Republic that everyone else seems complacent about. Anakin also happens to bravely save her life multiple times, between continually giving her praise. It's a tragedy about two vulnerable people who came together and were eventually destroyed by their romance.

Whether you like or dislike that is your opinion. But again, this thread shines a light on some people's desire to reach beyond their subjective opinion and make shaky arguments about the logic of the films.

It happens again and again, because many people in the online SW fandom aren't interested in real analysis of the movies. To them, it's all about pushing the way that they feel, without thinking about the perspectives of other people, real or fictional.

21. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I also watched the deleted scenes at Padme's house after I made that post, and one of the explanatory bits for those scenes is that it's intended to show how isolated Padme is from the personal side of life, especially with relationships, though there seems to be a tiny bit of distance from her family too (she won't tell them exactly how much danger she's in). I think it all fits in well with my take.

With the awful sand scene, you can kind of see Anakin thinking (as he touches her hand and later her back) "Am I doing this right?" He's almost bitten his lip in anticipation of her response. Then he moves in slowly, almost jerkily, for the kiss, and they kiss, and she pulls away and says "I shouldn't have done that" and he says "I'm sorry" in this small voice.

I really think that if one goes back and watches these films with an open mind, they'll find a lot more redeeming qualities than they otherwise have.

22. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    ...Women love jerks? ;)

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's the way I saw the scene as well. I felt bad for Anakin. He's basically a kid on his first date, with a woman that he's had a crush on forever and wants very, very badly to impress her. He's nervous as hell.

Mata2010, lbr789 and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm sorry but the whole thing was done so gut wrenchingly badly that I just felt bad for the actors, because they are good actors. I'm suprised GL didnt chuck in a scene where they go to kiss a litte too excitedly and their teeth clash. Wouldn't of looked out of place to be honest. 'You are so beautiful' 'maybe that's because I'm so in love' 'no that's because I'm so in love with you' 'then love has blinded you?' What the ****????!!!!!! Who wrote this??!! You can physically see the actors are thinking that.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, that's a different scene.

Yeah, those lines are bad, but I did like the way they were looking at each other there. Anakin had not been home for a long time, and they were obviously happy to finally be together again. The scene was inserted to show that their marriage had been happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.