main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Yoda Species

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    I always wondered what species Yoda was. So eventually my curiosity brought me to Wookieepedia where I searched Yoda's species. It turned out, this "Yoda's species" didn't even have a recorded name! :eek: And the home world Yoda and "his" species is from is also unknown. Why is it that one of the greatest Jedi's (if not the greatest Jedi) doesn't even have a name or home world for his species. I know this question may sound naive, and it may be because he is so wise, or mysterious, or I don't know for sure, but does anyone have an idea on why this may be?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    According to starwars.com, Yoda deliberately kept his background a secret.

3. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    What about Yaddle? Secret too?

klooney and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  5. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    I'd already checked. Just thought i'd play along too. It does feel a bit wierd that after all this time nothing's been put down for Yoda's back story, it's suppose to create mystery, but it just looks a bit of a poor effort really.

2 of his species are on the Jedi council, but i don't recall any others in the 6 films. We even have an E.T. delegation in the senate but none of Yoda's guys there.

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I personally believe that when something is deliberately kept a mystery, GL has plans intends to "solve the mystery" in the future and doesn't want anyone else giving conflicting information.

7. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    Yoda spin off movie then? Yoda: the first 800 years - Part I, II, II...............

For some reason I imagine a young Yoda to have a shell a bit like a turtle, not sure why tho.

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Can he still do that now that Disney owns Star Wars?

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Why would Disney object?

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
  11. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Man, you beat me to it.

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Lucas has confirmed in an interview that his species is called "Frog".

13. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Coincidentally enough, obi-rob-kenobi4 just posted an interview here in which GL answers the very question of this thread:

GL: But he (Obi-Wan) couldn't do everything, I needed a physical body there to do things, and so I needed something, and I created Yoda, who is two feet tall... large green ears... but to be very honest with you, I never really figured out where he came from, what his species is called, it doesn't even have a name. Maybe it's somewhere, but I don't know what it is. So he's a mystery character, he's a magical character. He has no background. He comes and he goes. He's the subversive secret mysterious stranger that enters the film and then exits at the end.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

As much as we like to believe Lucas had this master plan for everything, sometimes he just needed a character to do certain things and that was it. It doesn't mean Lucas didn't eventually come up with something, but Yoda is this unassuming Jedi Master no one would think of as a great jedi at first glance. And Lucas wanted it that way.

As for explaining his origins, I'm genuinely torn. But it would have to be something tied into the saga as a whole to justify it IMHO. If it's just something unconnected altogether, then just don't bother and leave it a mystery.

I remember here back in the PT days I used to think perhaps it would be revealed that Yoda knew of the rule of two for the sith because he was there at the end of their reign and knew something more. Yeah, he's not old enough quite, but I was fudging a bit.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I like to think that Yoda is from a secret race that lives on Dagoba.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The ESB novel tends to refer to him as "elf".

17. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    This would be fine if others of his species didn't feature in the PT. Once there are more brought in it would indicate that their species is more prominent.

18. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I agree to that,

why say something like that and then create Yaddle..

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it merely indicates that he's not the only one from his species. And the fact that we only see two members of their species in all six movies and we don't know all that much about them clearly indicates that they are still mysterious.

Source?

20. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Exactly...what is the point to Yaddle then at all?

21. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    But to have 2 of the same species on the Jedi council would indicate quite a strong force sensitivity, she's not just a character that we see in the street after all. We see two of them across 6 films, but we only see one of a lot of the characters in the canteena and Jabb's palace and they have their species descibed.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yaddle was created from a rejected version of Yoda's puppet for TPM that was deemed too young.

For those two.

Which only corroborates my point that their mysterious nature and origin is still intact.

23. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    This is hardly keeping with the story telling is it?

If their species is so mysterious who identified them and their force ability?

24. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    That reminds me of what happened with Matt Damon in Team America - the puppet head came out of its mold looking a bit wonky, so that's when they first came up with the idea of the character being a bit 'special'. It had nothing to do with any particular incident or animosity towards Matt Damon himself.
    Isn't that fascinating?

From Wookieepedia:

[​IMG]
    Technically, this is the official backstory for Yoda - it was fan fiction & art entered in the 'Design an Alien' contest in the old Topps Star Wars Galaxy Magazine, the prize being your work getting included in the official SW canon.
    So barely even EU canon, but for all intents & purposes, that's all there is.

25. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That was the strength of the character as well, they should leave well enough alone. I think the PT damaged the character enough as it is, I don't feel like exploring this character's origins or his species will do anything other than further that damage.