main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Its considered to be Spielberg's only genuine flop.

2. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Triage
    Drama. Colin Farrel and his friend are professional photographers in Iraqi Kurdistan in 1988. Colin's buddy wants to get back home in time for his girlfriend's child delivery which is due in two weeks. Colin's character wants to stay, so they separate. When Colin gets back home, he finds his friend never returned. From here on, it's primarily a story about guilt, but it's not too depressing and worth watching. Especially as the film doesn't drag on. It's only about 90 minutes long. Colin gives a nice understated performance. The narrative style is thankfully very bare bones; no melodramatic slow-motion shots with muffled sound and sweeping strings here. There's one particular scene in the film that has a bit too exposition-heavy dialogue and, while the information was necessary, it makes the conversation sound artificial. I think you'll recognise it when you see it. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

4 out of 5.

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Finally got to see the Dredd gritty reboot. Sometimes you need uberviolence in your life. The low budget cg didn't bug me too much. This movie needs a sequel.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The cinematography was definitely the best thing about it.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    'The Da Vinci Code'

A brilliant, complex and pretty intelligent thriller from Ron Howard based on the book by Dan Brown, and followed up with 'Angels & Demons' and hopefully 'The Lost Symbol'.

Tom Hanks is as watchable as ever with great support from Audrey Tautou, Alfred Molina, Sir Ian McKellen, Jurgen Prochnow and Paul Bettany. It's easy to lose track of the cryptic clues and leads, but stick without for a great thriller with lots of twists and turns.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah. Awesome movie. Have you seen The Raid: Redemption? Kinda the same concept. Also an awesome movie.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    $50 million movie made $32 million worldwide, returning about $16 million to studios. But it might have made another $25-30 million in video sales/rentals. Overall, probably still did not break even. Hopefully, no sequel. Ever.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Jabbadabbado, you make me wish there was a Dislike option.

Juliet316 and Jabbadabbado like this.
  9. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I'll have to check out The Raid.

More like jabbawocky, amirite? Or slimyjabba.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    How is it that the incredibly talented Karl Urban became the go-to guy for low budget sci fi/horror/fantasy flops? Star Trek is one of the only movies he's made since LOTR that has come even close to turning a profit.

11. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Because he can growl "I am the law"

12. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Well.....Curiosity got the better of me...

And last night I watched Battleship.

And. Oh. My. God. Battleship is without a doubt the second-worst alien invasion movie ever. (Shyamalan's Signs beats it by a few points though, by the simple virtue that their aliens were water-soluble.)

1. Rihanna is not Vasquez. She never will be Vasquez. You can't convince me that the producers weren't thinking about Vasquez when they came up with the character.

2. All this crap was started by a microwave chicken burrito. That's it. A. Microwave. Chicken. Burrito.

3. Inept Alien Invasion....okay so....you build ships that can travel across galaxies....yet your windows can be shot out by two guys with 50 cal rifles?
    Seriously? All of the rocks and particles and debris in space......and your windows can get shot out? Must have had Union labor building the ships....

4. IAI 2: Okay....and your ships can't really function in water....so you land in water....and KEEP FIGHTING in water......despite the fact that you can't really travel across an ocean and just kind of leapfrog-crash from place to place.

5. IAI 3: These aliens are not the Predator. In Predator, it made sense for the Predator to not shoot an unarmed target ("No sport!" - Arnold)
    But these ignorant ***holes....will climb aboard a ship that was just shooting on them....and deem all the humans onboard (you know....FIGHTERS) to be not a threat and leave them alone. Hell if you want to kill these guys all you need to do is stand still, let them walk past you, and then shoot them in the back.

6. And the turd that had me changing the channel....Sucking up to the Greatest Generation via plot device. Don't get me wrong.....I don't hate our WWII vets at all.

However the fact remains that when the technologically-advanced aliens are beaten by a group of Oct- and Nonagenarians, on board a floating museum (which by all means WOULD TAKE AT LEAST SEVEN MONTHS TO BE FULLY BATTLE-READY AGAIN).....yeah you're just kissing ass right there.

At that point I changed the channel to IFC to watch Emilio Estevez fight the Green Goblin.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Peter Jackson's King Kong

Ehh not a bad movie, little long though

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That was a movie where I kinda hoped they wouldn't go to NYC and just stick to skull island adventure. I think that was clearly where Jackson's interest was.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Only thing I remember about Kong was that it was way too long and the killing of the T-rex made me grimace and wonder if it was really necessary.

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I like what Peter Jackson tried with the movie, but it was the first evidence that Jackson is to self indulgent. Kill a good hour of the movie, and you have a great movie. Jackson is big on character developement. Which is good, but unfortunatly this is a film where everyone has come to see the Monster, not the characters that will be canon fodder. There was some miscasting issues as well. Plus the story of King Kong just isn't EPIC style movie material.

The original is much better, and I like the portrayal of Kong as more of a monster instead of a minunderstood monster. I bought the original on Blu Ray and still love it. Especially the parts where he reeks havoc in NY. Like dropping the chick out the window and bashing the train with people falling out the other side.

Anyway, just watched "THE KILLER JOE." Pretty Awesome film. The last 30 minutes are just gold.

Bacon164 likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Indeed. The T-Rex fight sequence (really, why was it that determined?) and his bullet time typewriter scene were two sure signs of how stupid that movie would prove to be .

18. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    I still cringe when I think of how the cook died in that movie
    Sure hope I don't die that way

19. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    to be fair King Kong kills the T-Rex the same way in the original. Still, as said, fighting 2(or 3 can't remember) was a little self indulgent. Jackson didn't have to up the stakes that much just to make hte film different.

The Kong and Rex fight was better in the original anyway.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The thing is, the fight was about essentially nothing, and went on for a good 37 minutes. What possible justification could there be? Even if it was fighting to undo the whole extinction of the dinosaurs, the T-Rex wouldn't have struggled so hard.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That was probably favourite scene out of the whole movie was Kong vs the T-Rex

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the V-Rex (not sure why they call it that) fight was the highlight of the movie and among the few times the film reaches greatness.

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Finally saw Argo last night with friends. They may have overbaked the look and feel of the end of the Carter era. Although I love the phones. Those old Ma Bell phones. And even the CIA guys look comparatively like hippies. My son read the book, so luckily he was on hand to point out every moment the film deviated from it, which apparently was quite a bit. From my son: the movie vastly overstated the drama of the escape, but ignored all the tension of the six moving around Tehran after they were forced to leave the Canadian embassy as well as some of the cool technical spy stuff about getting the Canadian passports into the country, etc. Probably all good choices for a fun movie. Which this definitely was. I wouldn't have given it a Best Picture Oscar, but Affleck certainly deserves to be back on top of the A list.

Life likes this.
  24. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I saw Oz the Great and Powerful on Sunday. It was good,but I found that Theodora's storyline was stupid.She eats an apple and becomes green and evil.I just found it stupid. No offense to the actress or anything, but she wasn't right for the part.I wanted to laugh at the parts where she was being "evil" because it seemed fake. I did like James Franco though.

25. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I hate you so much right now! :p

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61677

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.