main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I liked Sleazebaggano!

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The main change seems to be that it's now his alias rather than his true name.
    It's funny in some ways- so over-the-top it's good. But it's not exactly "Star Wars-ish".

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Sincere question here: why should I bother to give any further credence to someone who starts talking about "true fans"?

Boba_Fat83 likes this.
  4. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    He was such a minor character I didn't think it mattered, but then I also don't think it's un-Star Warsish

5. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    My contention wasn't that screenwriters as a class were good writers, but rather that writing a Star Wars screenplay would be the holy grail of screen writing. Contrast this with literary writing (i.e. novels), writing Star Wars lit is about the bottom of the barrel for what any self-respecting ambitious literary author would want to be writing for a living. Not surprisingly, many EU writers use pseudonyms for this reason!

6. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Ya know, as opposed to those fake fans just pretending in order to be cool. Because being a SW fan is cool, riiiiiight? Right????

*crickets*

Boba_Fat83 likes this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Have you concidered some may just be fans who like writing Star Wars novels... a good portion of them just seem honest fans. Plus scifi/fantasy are very very hard genres to make a name for ones self in, since in these genres too many authors just get compared to the few greats... you almost gotta have a film or tv show adaptation to be concidered good these days, and worse some of these novels that are good just would be too expensive to adapt into a film or just too long of a running series for it to be adapted into even a ten season show.

Hmm as to your final comment... Im not thinking of many Star Wars authors who use pseudonyms... in fact, off hand, only one...Jude Watson is really Judy Blundell, she wrote what two books... Kristine Kathryn Rusch uses pseudonyms but put her real name on her one Star wars novel by chance.

However all the big Star Wars authors use their real name. As far as I know, and a quick dole check on wiki seeming confirmed Timothy Zahn, Kevin J Anderson, Aaron Allston, Michael Stackpole, Karen Traviss, Christie Golden, Drew Karpyshyn, Paul Kemp, A C Crispin, James Luceno, Steve Perry (though maybe now he should get one since he's not that Steve Perry), Sean Williams, Troy Denning, etc... all use there actual name. Sorry but I think the evidence you just stated as proof of your statement just isnt there. The vast bulk of Star Wars authors use their real names.

Next off when it comes to book authors (especially scifi or fantasy) most authors are never concidered high caliber authors just due to the genre, and the onces that are are too busy for anything but the uptenth million book in their famous series. Plus book author quality is a very subjective thing upon which the author is the only thing carrying thr book, when screen writers can have amazing actors and/or directors elevating their work. I get your point, I really do, but its a subjective opinion especially when put next to the countless other horribly written books in scifi and fantasy novels. Imho even the worst Star Wars book is infinatly better than some other scifi/fantasy novels I read, and I really really despise a few of the authors who wrote Star Wars novels so thats saying something. Plus you gotta remember when it comes to these genres you have authors who excel in some writing aspects such as world building or ideas but often they are just average or mediocar authors in far too many other aspects sadly.

Robimus likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And why? From the top of my head I can think of many potential stories that would be way more difficult to write than SW. The universe is already established, so are a lot of the characters and the heroes journey gives you a framework for the plot.

Ryus likes this.
  9. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    The producer did say they don't have a book series to serve a template for the movies, that would indicate they aren't pulling EU characters and using them.

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yes, they are.

http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2007/11/19/young_people_reading_a_lot_less/

Book stores are closing. I don't know what I'd be able to research at my local library. Yes people still read, just a lot less of them.

http://voices.yahoo.com/bookstore-closings-2010-fallout-the-5162669.html

LFL said there would be at least seven seasons of TCW. Lucas said there would never be a Sequel Trilogy. "Becasue they said so" means absolutly nothing. Go over to the TV forum and see how much fans there feel Disney cares about them.

Why do you think people will just blindly by new material? Your so certain that every pre existing fan of the EU is just going to carry on no matter what even when many of the fans your talking with here telling you that they are not.

When I say reboot I don't mean retcon. A ton of stuff has been retconned, or would be retconned yet if the EU is given time. A reboot would consist of everything we know being tossed aside and not reincorporated into the timeline in a different way. We really didn't lose anything from Jedi Trial in a pure sense, where it appears in the timeline would just be changed. It would largely and completely still exist within the reworked universe as best as it could.

Very few EU authors use a pseudonym. And when one has been used it hasn't been due to them trying to hide their name because they were ashamed of the quality of their work.

These writers communicate and interact regularly with Star Wars fans. And they are also trying to make a living as writers, that is their number one priority. I'm sure they would like to write the next Mark Twain like book that becomes a mainstay within the Literary community - but the reality is those are few and far between.

Best selling authors are folks like Stephen King, Stephanie Meyer and Dan Brown, and they all get regularly insulted for their efforts because they are not literary enough ...... just rich and popular.

I don't know how you would define "self respecting author" and liking an author is going to vary greatly from person to person.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Because thats what fans of things do. They bitch and complain on the internet, and they buy whatever is put out. Fans on here can say whatever they want, I simply don't believe them. I don't believe for a second that a fan who likes all the stuff a writer like Zahn has put out won't but the first book in a new EU Continuity that he writes and that ties into Episode VII.

I don't think that Disney has much interest in getting into retcon stuff.

12. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Your basically saying that people are sheep which is something I don't agree with at all.

I already know how you feel about this whole situation. In this instance I was talking with Anakinfan.

13. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    You can disagree all you want, history shows with lots of "fandoms" that the fans who complain are 1) A minority 2) They end up buying the new stuff anyway. Comics companies and Video game companies constantly get this kind of fan backlash, and their stuff still sells. Disney is no danger of not selling Star Wars movies, shows, comics and novels by either starting a new EU or changing the way EU and the movies relate to each other.

IF you don't want other people commenting on what you're saying, PM.

kubricklynch likes this.
  14. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    So everyone likes the same fan fiction then?

There is excellent fan fiction out there, but even at that fans of fan fiction don't universally seem to love the same authors.

When one looks at an author as successful as R.A. Salvatore is, and can't see why he is a popular author (or even accept the fact that he is a popular author), I just don't get it.

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    In my experience, a hack is always the writer you personally dislike for some reason or other. The word really gets thrown around a lot nowadays. It has become almost as meaningless as the term hipster.

That said, KJ Anderson is a total hack. Omg.

Ryus likes this.
  16. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I was talking about the difference bewtween a retcon and a reboot and you tried to swing that back towards your whole Disney is going to terminate the EU agenda. Maybe if you had actually commented on what I said, after quoting me, instead of going off in a completely different direction I'd feel differently.

Say whatever you want, so will I.

17. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    I only skimmed through the 151 pages so this may sound a little bit random or it may have already been discussed. I have a question and I don't know if anyone knows it yet because the information may have not been released. Is Star Wars Episode 7-9 going to be about something totally new, or the EU......? [face_plain]

18. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    A hack is a proffesional who does a job just for the money and does crappy work.

Robimus - you talked about how Jedi trail still fit in the continutiy and I pointed out that I don't think Diseny wants to get into that kind of thing. Its largely meaningless crap that a small section of fans care about. Their money and attention can be spend better on other things. As Is aid, if you have a problem with people responding to you, go to PM.

19. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Well in the videos they released, they said it would be an "original story" which heavily implies (if not outright states) that the ST will not be directly based on any EU books.

What they haven't stated so far is will the ST follow the continuity set forth by the EU or not. I believe it won't, but some disagree.

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Oh no, I never meant to imply that everyone likes or even should like the same authors - I just wanted to show a few stories from personal favorite fan fiction writers to show that not all good writers are necessarily Pro writers. Stephan King (IMHO) is a brilliant writer (although not immune from writing dreck either) but many people consider him a 'hack'- funny enough, I can't see him writing a Star Wars Novel (unless it was Luke centric) as his best writing seems to be when he's writing an everyman - mind you, if he did a Palpatine Short story (as his villains are wonderfully creepy) I would read that in a heartbeat...

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    Thank you. I said this earlier in this thread though it is highly unlikely but.. I want to see Jacen become Darth Caedus :D

22. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    No one knows yet, but we can take an educated guess given what has been said the history of some of the people involved. We know Arndt is writing it, but he is working off outlines that Lucas wrote, and we know from history that Lucas doesn't care about the EU and will stomp all over it when writing. Kennedy has said they don't have a series of books to serve as a template for the stories, that they will be completely original and come from Lucas's head. They hired a director who just went through a similar situation with Star Trek and decided that ignoring continuity was the wy to get the best story on the screen.

There is the story telling argument, that having to catch the audience up on events and explain who people are, since characters like Jaina, Jag, Allana etc.. are already established isn't how you make a good movie.

kubricklynch likes this.
  23. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Fixed

24. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Officially Disney has only said that the films will not be based on a pre existing story.

Past that there has been no official statement about the EU from Disney.

25. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Except the producer saying they don't have a series of books that could serve as a template for what the story might be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.