main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A more perfect union? The Official Galactic Federation Triumvirate Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Mar 21, 2013.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I once postulated in an RP a constitutional monarchy where the Senators and other democrats ruled the 'Lower House', and the Moffs, Lords and Barons ruled the 'Upper House' of a legislative body, with the Chancellor as the executive working for the monarch, the Emperor, who themselves also acted as the head of the Upper House and sat on the executive council, all under the moniker of the 'Restored Republic', being as the Galactic Empire and Galactic Alliance are fundamentally claiming to be the legitimate successor of the Old Republic anyway; they're working to restore their version of the Republic...

... in my mind the Triumvirate being layered atop the bureaucratic that served the GA, itself having the Empire layered over it by the Sith, works best.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    My dream government is essentially a restore Republic that takes the very best parts of the Old Republic. A Senate that governs (on the galactic level) democractically while leaving each member world to choose it's own form of government. A strong federal Navy in the model of the best days of the Old Republic or the later federal model of the Galactic Alliance. A fully separate and independent judiciary and executive would form a nice check and balance to the Senate as well.

--Adm. Nick

3. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    That sounds pretty good to me. My only additionally check would be on the Republic itself, by making sure that the combined military forces of the major individual members (say Corellia, Kuat, Alsakan..etc) exceed that of the federal Republic forces.

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Isn't the beef between Jedi and IK mostly related to the Sith-Imperial War where the IKs were basically the Force-users on the frontlines fighting the Jedi while the Sith stuck to the shadows until the very end?

Jedi and IK seemed pretty settled by the end of War, to me.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Roan Fel never allowed the IK's to fight in the war, they never fought the Jedi.

The Jedi thought Roan Fel ordered the Massacre of Ossus, which Marasiah clarified. The Imperial Knights thought the Jedi weren't being proactive enough after Krayt took control.

Ulicus likes this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    To be honest, with the exception of the Imperial Era, I think that the combined naval forces of the galaxy's individual worlds has always exceeded the forces of the main government. Heck, even in the Imperial Era, the only reason this worked is that the Empire nationalized the PSF's in the aftermath of a costly war, when the galaxy was weary and unwilling to stand up to Palpatine.

The Republic Navy and the Galactic Alliance Navy (post-LOTF) are the model to follow. A strong federal force that can defend the borders, protect trade routes, aid members, and deter any foreign aggressor. Anything more is excessive.

--Adm. Nick

7. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I would certainly hope the combined PSF's were much larger:)

I have no issue with a fairly large federal Republic Navy performing all of the above roles, but I would like to see a military balance against a potential Republic dictator. I wouldn't want to see another Galactic Alliance Jacen Solo-type figure centralizing power or implementing unwelcome restrictions on local planetary governments. What can I say, I am Alsakani at heart and I just don't see Coruscant as being the center of the universe:)

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The Jedi don't really believe in what the Imperial Knights represent and I suspect the feeling is mutual. They have never gone specifically head to head with each other, except for a couple rare instances with Cade's gaggle.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are accepting enough to coexist with each other. But the mistrust will always be there and could cause problems down the road.

For instance I suspect once word gets out than an Imperial Knight is causing trouble on Carreras I suspect problems will follow until such time as the truth is known.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There can be no understanding between the hands and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Bumping in light of the Legacy Vol.2 #6 solicitation. It contained the following blurb:

"When word comes that the Sith are being sought out and murdered by another Sith, Ania Solo and Imperial Knight Jao want to find out why. The only things standing in their way are the Empire, the Jedi, the Galactic Alliance, and the Imperial Knights!"

No exactly concrete, but it does seem to point to an arrangement within the Galactic Federation Triumvirate that each government or organization continues to exist separately. Either way, I look forward to the issue!

--Adm. Nick

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Interesting that the Second Empire and the Imperial Knights are listed separately...

12. Crimson Zephyr

Crimson Zephyr Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2013
    If that's true, it'll just end up in another war. I can't imagine every planet, or even most of them, will be particularly receptive to another Empire considering how the last one handed the galaxy on a silver platter to the Sith. I also want the truth about Roan Fel's death to come out, Harvey Dent style, just so that Marasiah gets knocked off her high horse. And I want to know what powerful planets like Corellia think about this arrangement. I can't imagine they're thrilled about getting their marching orders from a government that is simultaneously an absolute monarchy, military dictatorship, and theocracy.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Second Empire wasn't an absolute monarchy, so I don't think the Triumvirate could possibly be one.

14. Crimson Zephyr

May 8, 2013
    It wasn't a constitutional one, seeing as the Emperor isn't a monarch limited in legislative or judicial power by an elected parliament or court, and the moffs don't have land-holdings that are autonomous in their administration or defense, so we're not dealing with feudalism or an oligarchy. Yes, a Moff Council runs under him, but that doesn't necessarily make him (or her) not an absolute monarch, seeing as courtiers existed in absolute monarchies. But the whole "serve the Force as embodied by the Emperor" is just a blatant aping of the "divine right of kings".

As for the Triumvirate, where is the Senate? Do the Jedi have land holdings a la the Papal States? Are there planets that are unwilling to have Jedi, Imperial, or even Allied leadership? Is Stazi just a supreme commander or is he the equivalent of the Alliance's Chief of State? The fact that the Triumvirate is ruled by a body of just three individuals makes me feel like they're trying to bamboozle the galaxy into accepting being ruled by a dictatorial junta.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Just because the monarch is the fons potestatis doesn't mean that it's an absolute monarchy. Absolutism was a new doctrine, in response to the diffusion of power among several entities. It's unclear to what extent, besides, that the Fel dynasty had legislative or judicial authority -- we only see the Empire-in-exile, an entity divorced of any normal governmental apparatus (which have been taken over by the Sith, who govern with a fiat completely alien to the mofference -- which is telling!).

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I was surprised by that as well. I wonder if the Imperial Knights more akin to the Jedi Order. In that, even though the Jedi Order has historically been independent, it was always a guardian & supporter of the Republic. But NOT officially tied to the Republic. Perhaps the IK have evolved into a similar role for the Fel Empire? Guardians of the Empire, but not under it's authority? It would make for a very interesting parallel, with both governments having an independent but affiliated group of Force users. [face_thinking]

I totally get your desire to learn more about the Triumvirate and the status of the Galactic Senate in 138 ABY, but we also have to remember that there have only been two issues so far. ;)

I expect that with each issue we will learn a bit more about the various governments, the overarching Galactic Federation Triumvirate, and what sort of representative assembly there is. If the Galactic Alliance is in fact a separate government that is part of the GFT, that would imply at least a Galactic Alliance Senate. However, it is entirely possible for their to be a Galactic Federation Senate as well. However, until we learn more, all of this is purely speculation.

But hey, half the reason I post here is to speculate. :D

--Adm. Nick

17. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Actually the Moffs forced the Alliance with the Sith against objection from the Emperor so I am guessing they have some sort of override power.

18. Crimson Zephyr

May 8, 2013
    Or they were just traitorous and Roan Fel was a weaker ruler than he presented himself.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I thought the Senate still existed under Krayt? Ditto the triumvirate?

20. Crimson Zephyr

May 8, 2013
    Presumably not, seeing as they were never shown, and the Sith never consulted them. The triumvirate existed, but they were basically Sith pawns.

I also want to see regional governments like Corellia and Kuat, and I want to see some governments that are hardcore small-R republican, with the same opinion of monarchism we would have of Nazism.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ...so when the evidence doesn't suit your theory, ignore it and make up an alternative that doesn't fit?

Yeah, but then isn't that the whole thing that separates IK from Jedi? The close association with government -- or at least, the person of the Imperial sovereign? They're both independent from other political authorities, it is true, but it's still really odd...

22. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah the IK don't work for the Empire. They work for the Emperor. So while the military might be loyal to the throne. The IK are loyal to throne.

So both Jedis and IKs are autonomous and not directly part of their governments apparatus..

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It did under Krayt. LECG. Its power was probably insignificant, however.

24. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    It was probably like the UN ineffectual but a useful enough forum to make people feel good.

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Didn’t the LECG mention that it was pretty much up to nobles created by the Empire to run their planets?