main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I know some people might argue about his performance in EP III. But his chest was choked by Windu. Also even Windu said Obi Wan would have the best chance against him in the novel.

More importantly, in EP III we already got the death of Dooku, the downfall of Anakin and his duel against Obi Wan, the reveal of Sidious and Order 66, GG is just a small part of it. But in The Clone Wars, no matter how cool Maul, the Dathomir Witches or Mortis are, the major conflict, the most important war is between the Republic and CIS. Since Sidious mostly has to stay behind the stage, Dooku and GG are the most important leaders of CIS, surely they should be portrayed as powerful and threatening villains to let the war become more exciting to watch, Dooku would mostly make the schemes, GG has to be the Jedi Killer. Not something like let Dooku get owned by pirates or witches, and surely not something like TCW GG.

2. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah, his battle droids help a lot. Let's take a look at how he did each season:

Season 1

Destroy Malevolence - Grievous vs. Obi-Wan: Neither of them overpowered each other.

Duel of the Droids - Grievous vs. Ahsoka: Grievous overpowered Ahsoka causing her to retreat.

Lair of Grievous - Grievous vs. Kit Fisto, Nahdar Vebb and Clones: They overpowered him, but he managed to escape and kill a few Clones with no legs.

Lair of Grievous - Grievous vs. Nahdar Vebb: Neither of them overpowered each other, but Grievous used a blaster to defeat him.

Lair of Grievous - Grievous vs. Kit Fisto: Kit Fisto started to overpower Grievous until his bodyguards appeared causing him to retreat.

Season 2

Grievous Intrigue - Grievous vs. Eeth Koth: Eeth Koth was overpowered the whole time because of Grievous' droids, but Eeth Koth managed to defend himself really well.

Grievous Intrigue - Grievous vs. Obi-Wan: Neither of them overpowered each other until Obi-Wan used a force push, then Grievous retreated.

Grievous Intrigue - Grievous vs. Obi-Wan: It was a very brief duel, but neither of them overpowered each other.

Grievous Intrigue - Grievous vs. Adi Gallia: Neither of them overpowered each other, but Grievous retreated.

The Deserter - Grievous vs. Obi-Wan: Neither of them overpowered each other, but Grievous managed to escape without Obi-Wan catching him.

Season 3

ARC Troopers - Grievous vs. Obi-Wan: Neither of them overpowered each other until Obi-Wan used a force push, then Grievous retreated, but he was going to engage him again until the platform was destroyed and he thought Obi-Wan had fallen into the water.

Season 4

Shadow Warrior - Grievous vs. Tarpals and Gungans: This was a draw, because even though Grievous killed Tarpals, he still managed to put a spear through him and then the Gungans ambushed him making him unable to move, so technically the Gungans defeated him.

Nomad Droids - Grievous vs. Adi Gallia: We only got to see a brief part of this fight, so we don't know of either of them were overpowering each other, but both Grievous and Adi Gallia managed to escape, making it a draw.

Massacre - Grievous vs. Ventress: Both of them had their moments when they were overpowering each other, but Ventress ended up getting the upper hand, so Grievous used his droids to make Ventress retreat, which makes this fight a draw.

Season 5

Bound for Rescue - Grievous vs. Obi-Wan and Clones: Grievous easily defeated the Clones and managed to push Obi-Wan away, so Obi-Wan and Cody used the explosives to briefly get the upper hand and then retreat, but then Grievous retreated as well when he found out the ship was going to be destroyed.

A Nessecary Bond - Grievous vs. Ahsoka: This was a brief fight on the ship, where neither of them were overpowering each other and R2-D2 managed to shake Grievous off of the ship, along with everyone else.

A Nessecary Bond - Grievous vs. Ahsoka: Neither of them overpowered each other until Grievous started to get the upper hand which caused Ahsoka to retreat, but then Hondo used Slave I to blast Grievous down.

So from all of this we can see that Grievous actually didn't use his droids a lot, but when he did he got the upper hand. But overall most of his fights were a draw and he occasionally overpowered his opponent causing them to retreat, and he even managed to defeat a couple of them.

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah it's clear, he couldn't even kill a knight without ambush and had to take a while to defeat a padawan. He should be a Jedi killer rather than just keep getting his ass kicked even by Gungans. Even Cad Bane and Savage, who should not play a big part like him are far more threatening.

Even in other EU, he kills other Jedi quite a lot, that includes Adi.

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Yeah, he should've definitely been given more Jedi kills, and one of them should've been a Jedi Master, because he isn't the leader if the biggest droid army in the galaxy for nothing.

5. VMeran

VMeran Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    One of my biggest complains about TCW is how they treated General Grievous. He should have been more like CW!Grievous, IMO.

Paparazzo likes this.
  6. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Soooooooo... They're releasing 'Lego Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out' on DVD, good to see Disney's listening to what the fans want! *Insert sarcasm here*

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I would have liked a happy medium somewhere. Maybe a competent swordsman, but not a "OMG, I'll take on 5 Jedi and win!" villain. Mostly because there's no real reason for the Jedi to not just do what Mace Windu did against him ALL of the time... Or to just Force push him every chance you get. Unless it gets written away that lightsabers offer some kind of defense against even telekinetic powers and that it's only when Grievous is disarmed or his defense is broken that he becomes vulnerable, then I don't see how I am supposed to accept that Grievous is a superb Jedi killing machine and never do the Jedi think to exploit the one advantage they have over him, to which he has no defense.

TCW I thought was more credible, since the Jedi do exploit their advantage with the Force over him, Force pushing him, which usually led to Grievous retreating.

But TCW made him pretty much just make use of his spinning-wrists, and if that failed he just looked like he was clumsily swinging four sabers and just hoping he'd hit something.

I would have appreciated a bit more finesse (but not microseries levels). My biggest complaint though is not so much his saber skills in TCW, but the fact that he isn't even portrayed as a competent commander.

8. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    That is a paradox! And the reason why we don't get Season 6! Because Season 6 is locked in the vault which is locked in Season 6 which has to be released to open the vault but it can't be released because it is locked in the vault and we can't open the vault without Season 6...

It would have been much easier if the vault had been in Season 5.

VMeran and 07jonesj like this.
  9. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I just thought about the Disney Vault (Vaultus Pointlessus) a couple of days ago and I wouldn't be surprised if Disney found a way for the TCW DVDs to end up there.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But doesn't Warner have distribution rights over the TCW DVDs and Blu-Rays?

In related news, if the two arcs news HERE is accurate, it looks like my prediction of "no more than 10 to 12 more episodes will be shown or made available" will be correct. :p

11. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    The TFN news is old at this point and contradictory to what Dave and the VA's are saying. Lets keep in mind there is probably alot of bitterness flying around internally right now and I'm expecting we'll get yanked around with the info we get for a while. Two arcs would be alot lamer than I'm hoping for. If that's true then they better damn well be as important as Dave alluded to because at minimum Rex and Maul need to be dealt with. They also had better not be just the left over season 5 arcs. That still leaves a ridiculous amount of tangling story strands with Boba, the CIS leaders in jail, Mandalore, Talzin, and Ventress. I don't mind it if Cad Bane, Aurra Singh, etc don't show up again but knowing an arc was nearly completed that would have dealing with Boba that would have also taken care of those characters is frustrating.

Watto and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This is the kind of inside dirt we'll be hearing about in 5-10 years' time, right?:p

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    If you only watch TCW, then it's going to be a mess when you watch ROTS.

Why are the CIS leaders out of jail?
    Where's Maul?
    Where's Rex?
    Why is Adi Gallia alive? (Stass Allie and Agen Kolar are never introduced nor mentioned, so I would suspect a kid would believe Agen to be Eeth and Adi is just suddenly alive, only to die on Saleucami).

I'm just trying to imagine what it would be like to be a 10 year old watching the show, not coming to TF.N, and not knowing anything about the EU outside of the show.

If I sat down and watch TPM, AOTC, TCW (S1-S5), ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ

I think the biggest questions I would have are - CIS leaders, where's Maul?, why is Adi Gallia alive?

I would just think Agen was Eeth Koth and so it would make sense to me (even if it is inaccurate). Asajj, Cad Bane and Ahsoka are just out there doing their own thing. Boba shows back up in ROTJ (by name), and I would just think that he continued to be a bounty hunter and grew up to be like his "father." His appearance would be teased in ANH (SE) and ESB - though I don't believe his name is ever stated until ROTJ (excluding credits).

Appo is never named on screen, nor is he called a commander. It's clearly not Rex (unless his armor changed), but for all I know, Rex could be in the Temple with Vader, or with Yularen (wherever he is).

Maul is a bigger issue because they establish that there can only be two, and yet tease that Palpatine is going to keep him alive despite already having an apprentice, but he never pops up again. Maybe I'd be smart enough to see the implication that Katuni dressed like Adi and realize that maybe the person in ROTS is someone else from the same culture or a family member (even if I have no idea of Stass Allie's existence).

But the CIS getting out of prison is a biggie.

Maybe they'll tack on a fate for Maul in his new novel coming out if they aren't too far along to do so.

14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    That's why we have the EU, to cover writers' asses when they don't know what the hell they're doing. :p

Oh wait, TCW is EU. Well, ****.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They did use Force Push, but GG dodged most of them.

If you look a bit close, you will find his fight in CW makes sense.

Those Jedi were tired, never met him before so they were not familiar with his fighting style, and his fan style is good in against multiple opponents. Even in LoE, he killed the 4 Jedi knights who were protecting Palpatine like it was nothing.

16. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Nothing says I have to like the microseries' representation of Grievous. I thought it was nonsense, just as many other things in the series were as part of a hyper-exaggerated representation of the Star Wars universe. A non-Force using cyborg taking on multiple Jedi makes no more sense than Mace taking on an army single handed. Yeah, it looked cool, but no it will never make sense to me that Sith like Maul, who train their whole lives to control a supernatural power, are going to be upstaged by some guy that had his body replaced with mechanical parts.

I liked his representation in TCW as far as downplaying his Jedi-killing into something that he really has to work for, not something he has an uncanny skill for. I did not like how clumsy he looked or his ineptitude as a commander though.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps Maul will appear in the ST?

18. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I doubt it. He'll be over a hundred years old when the ST takes place.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What is the Dathomirian life expectency?

20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    If the rumor about "Palpatine's disciple" being the bad guy is true, and if that disciple is Maul, I think I'll have to pack it in and give up on the franchise. I'm optimistic that they are not going such an absurd route as to bring back Maul 6 episodes after his "death" in TPM, and using the events of the cancelled TCW to springboard the character into the ST...

"I have other uses for you, but they won't manifest until 30-40 years after even I am dead, mwahahahahha"

Plus anyone that disregarded TCW will just be confused irreparably by the absurdity of the character returning - even more so than the segment of TCW fans that themselves were.

VMeran, Random Comments and 07jonesj like this.
  21. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Saw the season trailer on Cartoon Network (UK) earlier today and having watched the series all I could think as I watched is "yeah, it's often not that exciting". Every time they made Maul and Savage out to be major players through the entire season I wanted to cry.

22. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    I, for one, think that having Maul back in the ST would be Awesome.... They did wonders with him in TCW, I was against brining him back at the start but the results did not disappoint. I would love to see him as a main villain in a few SW movies.

23. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Is Season 5 finally going to begin airing in the UK then? If so... is there a date for it? I might try to catch it.

24. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    There was a date, but I can't remember. I'll keep an eye out though whilst watching Adventure Time.

25. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I like my fanon and its easy enough to fanon together an ending. Anything could happen to Rex. He could die. He could desert. Remember that picture of the clone sitting in the council chamber all depressed after the fact? That could be Rex and he was simply off screen when Vader and the 501st wiped out the Jedi Temple. Really without his ending on screen or in a book or comic anywhere for now I give him whatever fate I want.

The same is true of Ventress, Cad Bane, Hondo, etc. With Boba Fett we can say he grew up, learned from his mistakes in bounty, gained more influence and experience. He eventually kicked Hondo's pirate ass and took back slave one. We can say that the CIS leaders escape during the chaos of the battle of Coruscant. We can say that Sidious's plans for Maul were to keep him alive for just a little bit longer to torture him to death. To me that isn't enough.

TCW is supposed to function as a prequel to ROTS. Sure we could leave it to EU comics and books although whose to say what will happen with future releases of those in a couple years. Sure the Microseries was was a lead in to ROTS but TCW is more than that and enhances the movies IMO rather than just being a lead in. This is the kind of project that needs to be allowed to tie up its own story strands. These conclusions will come one way or the other I'm sure but for the animation it'll still be an abrupt end that leaves more questions than answers. Dave Filoni said this about the season 5 finale.

Most cartoon shows that get cancelled are either AU to their respective franchises or not connected to anything so its much easier to just shrug off their cancellations. Really that is one reason why I often prefer anime to western animation. I can weed out the short/ canned ones and stick with the ones that have conclusions even if they are almost as abrupt and often unfulfilled. Also most cancelled cartoons aren't supposed to be prequels to something.

CaptainRex115 likes this.