main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Darth Maul have lived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthanku, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Mackinder-Brzezinski

Mackinder-Brzezinski Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    The test was not to kill a Sith Lord was it?

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, I initially agreed 1100% with you, but actually I think Obi-Wan's "trial" was overcoming his hate to "kill" Maul no longer fueled by hate. And while the kill was not a kill, ordinarily it would be. But, yes, it takes back Obi-Wan's "achievement." But, then, Feloni ;) doesn't seem that fond of Obi-Wan and wants to beat him down so he's wanting to retire to the desert for 19 years.

Sitara likes this.
  3. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Maybe as a cyborg Maul could live for all 3 episodes, that would work, but not all red skinned devil looking. If i made the prequels, i possibly would have included Maul for all 3 episodes, but have him be like Errol from Jak 3, his entire body is machine and robotic, except for half of his face and maybe a few other parts, but otherwise 95-99% robotic. Vader's cyborg body was just his limbs. The suit and mask/helmet was not attached to his body. He was like 20-30% robotic.

As for the problem with darth maul and the Rule of two-only sith apprentices at a time, keep count dooku, but have Palpatine/Sidious believe his apprentice is dead. Maul ressurects as a cyborg and works for himself, a rogue dark-side force user. Solves the problem.[face_laugh]

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, I don't really belive the actual killing of a Sith was the specific rule for making a padawan a knight. I think it is simply viewed as the passing of a true test-to face the darkside, and defeat it without succumbing to it. (Much like what Luke went thru in the end of ROTJ)...But Obi-Wan's "promotion" was specifically because he did kill Darth Maul. (Or at least we thought so at the time...o_O )

I have never believed that was THE way to acheive knighthood or mastership...It was simply a valid "replacement" for the trials which I'm sure were made to in a way imitate such an occurrence.

I'd actually be interested in reading what exactly the Jedi students learn, and when. I mean what specific things are taught at what times, and what specific things are expected before promotion, or moving forward with their studies...That could be fun to see.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Initially I think we all thought that defeating a Sith was Obi-Wan's trial. But personally I've come to believe that his setting aside his anger while hanging in the pit and giving himself over to the Force was Obi-Wan's trial.

6. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Darth maul could have had the same role that Vader had in the prequels- a cyborg darksider villain who is defeated at the end, and Dooku be more of a Tarkin.

7. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Maul definately needed to survive ep 1, if not the entire PT. Then we could have had him in the tv series or epi 7+.

Dooku never needed to be a Force User, or at the least, a Sith. He could just have been a disillusioned Jedi, trying to remake the Galaxy into the way he thought was best. In the end, as Maul would cut him down in ROTS, Dooku would learn that he had been working for the Sith all along. His failure would then be complete.

Also, it should have been Maul that would have chopped off Anakins arms and legs in Mustafar (or wherever), in a fit of rage so that Anakin would never achieve his potential and thus surpass him.

However, somehow Obi Wan would have taken Maul by surprise, encase him in carbonite, and flush him out the airlock into deep space or something. That is how he would be found in EP7, by a student/descendant of Luke Skywalkers new Jedi Conclave.

8. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    Grevious already took over the role of the cyborg.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Obviously Maul doing it would preclude that.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It can't be, or else the entire Council were never legitimately knighted.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    darth maul died on Naboo :p

no amount of animated pixels can tell me otherwise :p

13. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    Too bad for you then that Maul's ressurection came from the higest SW power/cannon

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually T-Canon is usually considered "lower" than G-Canon- which is the six films, and anything in their adaptations (novelizations, radio plays, etc) that originates with Lucas.

15. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Am i sensing a reworking of the PT similar to what was done to the OT in the 90's with pointless pieces inserted. Will we see Maul in the back ground in the lower levels of Coruscant in AotC, working with Grevious in RotS, in the background of Mos Eisley in ANH, Jabba's Palace in RotJ? Conspiring with the bounty hunters in ESB?

Could Palpatine have stretches the rule of 2, so that the 2 junior sith never knew about each other it'd be alright and have kept Maul in the back ground?

Sitara likes this.
  16. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Personally i would've like to have seen him last til at least the end of AOTC. But that means the whole Dooku thing couldn't have happened and so on. But IMO he was sorely underused as a Sith villain.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    To paraphrase Captain Barbossa "It's more what you would call guideline than actual Rule."

18. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    Now you've got me thinking of the Black Pearl docking next to the Millenium Falcon, Disney mash-up? Actually if Jack Sparrow was a star wars character he'd be Jar-Jar, clumsy but it works out for him!

19. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    For crying out loud, why can't ppl get it into their heads that Dooku never had to be a force user. he could have been Tarkin V 0.1 or whatever. At the least, he could have been a disillusioned Jedi, not knowing he was working for the Sith (i.e. that both sides were being manipulated)

Hahaha, that would be awesome. But ofcourse, impractical.

What could happen though, but likely won't, is the ending of TPM is edited so that Maul isn't chopped in half. He just falls into the pit wounded. Or maybe he raises his saber to block Obi Wan's strike and Obi Wan kicks him or force pushes him into the pit.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Hondo in TCW is a pretty quirky pirate.

I could easily imagine a great many Cutler Beckett type merchant lords thriving in the Empire- especially in the Corporate Sector.

"It's just good business."

21. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Mar 18, 2013
    He could have been cyborg from the waist down in TPM so losing his lower half would have made no difference. See it's easy to be GL and just think up excuses so you can take your characters and re-use them and say it was all puposeful mis-direction.

Jcuk likes this.
  22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    For crying out loud? Easy there chief just giving my opinion.

23. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Too bad for you then that Maul's ressurection came from the higest SW power/cannon
    --

uhhm no

:p

24. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Maul should've been kept around until the beginning of ROTS. Hell, the rule of two should've been history as Sidious master effectively ended it.

25. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    it's times like this I wish Darth Plagueis was never published

HATE that book.