main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Luke FORCE CHOKES Jabba's Guards!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    I was recently watching ROTJ and I got the the part in the movie where Luke enters Jabba's Palace. As Jabba's guards try to stop Luke, Luke holds up his hand and the Guards grab their necks in pain, as if they were suffocating! So at that moment I'm thinking, woah, hold up, let me watch this over again, and i did, and it looked the same [face_plain] . I was wondering, and I feel like I know the answer to this question but... Isn't force choking not supposed to be used by Jedi (unless they are turning or something)?

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well. Long ago when dressed in black for his scenes Mark Hamil made the comment that he was satring to resemble Vader. GL said, "That's the point." So perhaps choking is a bad guy power and that is a very basic storytelling item that Luke is getting a tad "dark". At the same time there is no need to get too carried away, he could very well have Force Pushed them into a wall. Look at the PT and the use of The Force. The violent stuff is not evil.

KOBBRA, Jarren_Lee-Saber and ILNP like this.
  3. Twi'lekPrince

Mar 24, 2013
    I realize that Jedi's can force choke, it's just.... I've never seen any other Jedi's do it any of the other movies, UNLESS they were turning to the dark side.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Cinematically, you're supposed to be under the impression that perhaps Luke CAN turn, just as his father did, so it makes it all the more gripping and anxious when Palpatine is trying to turn him.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    As I implied, it is a symbol for Luke for just that very thing. Still, as a pragmatic use, jedi do all sorts of violent things from cutting off limbs to flat out killing.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It's possible that he did not kill them, he may have only incapacitated them as he passed.

Also, I agree that everything about Luke in that scene is meant to convey the idea that he is at a crossroads where his fall, like his father. is still a very real outcome.

T-R- likes this.
  7. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    I thought that this type of thing was to show that Luke was vulnerable to being drawn into the darkside. His black robes were symbolic of his potential to switch sides.
    Let's not forget that the last time we saw Luke;
    • Vader was trying to seduce him to the darkside in ESB,
    • he'd also just learnt that Vader was his father.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't think it was at all a tool to show Luke was vulnerable to falling to the dark side. That is a good in-universe explanation but I think that at the time of ROTJ release GL didn't really have an idea of light vs dark Force powers. So Force Choke wasn't seen as an evil power that was against the Jedi Code.

If anything I think that scene was used to show how powerful Luke had become and that now he is on par with Vader in terms of Force power.

kubricklynch and ILNP like this.
  9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think of force choke as a power at all. It's simply an extension of their telekinesis ability. They use it to crush a windpipe.

It's how they choose to use that telekinesis that informs us about the character. That's how I have always looked at it. It's not different power, it's different choices in how to use that power

I think it's a mistake to separate it as it's own power and say "you have to know the darkside to do this". I think any force user "can" do it.

10. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Well "Force Choke" is nonetheless listed as a Force power. Not to mention using the Force to crush a windpipe which another being needs to live, is inherently evil.

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What do you mean "listed"

And this, this is sort of my point

12. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Like if you google Force Choke it will be listed as a Force power.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Oh, lots of fans call it a force power. I know that. That's the way they choose to look at. I don't.

The Hellhammer and kubricklynch like this.
  14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    This topic does come up every so often, so a big yes to all of these:

To bring the PT into matters as well, Yoda seems to do much the same to Palpatine's guards when he causes them to collapse into unconsciousness as he enters Palpatine's Senate chambers in ROTS.

And yes, I'd be inclined to think that both Luke & Yoda merely incapacitated the guards, rather than killed them - killing them wasn't necessary.

T-R-, ILNP and Jcuk like this.
  15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Luke didn't kill the guards, he just choked them until they were unconscious.

16. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Honestly I think they just didn't think about that very much when they were filming it

The Hellhammer likes this.
  17. Twi'lekPrince

Mar 24, 2013
    I highly doubt that that the brilliant mind of George Lucas wouldn't just let this "slip" into the film, without thinking it through thoroughly.

18. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    1. cool avatar
    2. i could be wrong, hes just a person, i think star wars in those years was much less organized than it is now

19. Twi'lekPrince

Mar 24, 2013
    Hmm.. You could be correct. And thanks. There is much that we all do not know about Lucas and his ideas on how he created SW. And what was intended and what was not. :)

20. fenixbg

fenixbg Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2013
    I finding this more naive-Luke recently sensed his connection with Force,and he was in difficult situation-minimal Jedi training,no "regular Jedi pacifism"-he was using force like someone who got gun to rescue someone,and was using it on any possible way-just to get his goal... I don't think he had a list of forbidden powers... :)

21. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    And slicing someone in half with a laser sword isn't? Blasting them into a million pieces in a spaceship isn't? I think we're being awfully arbitrary about what's "inherently evil" and what isn't. Look, the Jedi are not the Space Amish. They practice non-aggression, but that's not exactly the same as pacifism. The Jedi only use violence when they must, but when they must, well, a Jedi's gotta do what a Jedi's gotta do.

Besides, if what you say is true, then a lot of our heroes are inherently evil. Not just Luke, either - on assumes that doing the same thing with a big metal chain isn't any different (if so, how?), so that makes Leia "inherently evil" for choking Jabba. It also makes Chewie "inherently evil" for nearly choking out Lando at Cloud City. I don't really think that's the case, so I don't buy that argument. Sorry.

Reveen and rumsmuggler like this.
  22. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Actually, now that I think about it, we've seen all three members of the Skywalker clan choke somebody out one way or another, haven't we? Maybe it isn't so much a light side or dark side thing as it just is a family tradition.

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think a big part of the difference is that "force choking", as the name implies, is using the Force to harm people. As Captain Tom Coughlin said earlier, I think it's more of an extension - or, perhaps more precisely, a perversion - of normal Force telekinesis than an independent power, and in that regard, I think using it is worse than cutting someone in two with a lightsaber.

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    This. It's entirely intentional.

25. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I think it shows that Luke is the new breed of Jedi one where the Dark and Light side aren't so easily separated