main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Warp Power's Chicago Pile Moment May Be Upon Us

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Nah, it's pretty much always stayed in the realm of implausible. Also, the negative mass requirement dwarfs all others in terms of complications/obstacles.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    As I've said before: stuck on earth for the remainder of our life as a species. Post-human machines can explore the universe at their leisure.

3. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Nah, all we need to do is figure out hyperspace cannons, and in 30,000 years...we get to go to coruscant.

remember doubters
    [​IMG]

TheGuardianofArlon likes this.
  4. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    If that is true, it will almost certainly be a social issue rather than a physics issue.

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    And you know this how?

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't view it as being "stuck" here. Earth is likely the only place humans will ever know of and possibly the only place in the galaxy or universe where we can stand on the surface without extensive protection and not ****ing die in 30 seconds or less.

7. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009

if one doesnt look we will never find, and on many places on earth not dying in thirty seconds just equals a slower but not any less certain death.

8. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm having trouble seeing where darth guy said that astrophysicists should stop the search for extrasolat planets that may be habitable.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    We can usually breathe, though. And extreme temperatures on Earth usually don't compare to extreme temperatures on planets and moons with different atmospheric compositions or barely any atmospheres at all. And even in the Sahara there is potential to find food and water.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Jonathan Archer is a fictional character.

Scott Bakula, however, has faith of the heart. Faith to believe. He can do anything, he's got strength of the soul. No one's gonna bend or break him, he can reach any star.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    We're totally gonna find a planet (given sufficient time) that we could grow plants on. Maybe breathe on, but that's much more of a long shot.

12. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Because interstellar travel is not physically impossible.

13. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah for people who were raised there, you drop a non beouin or a tuareg in the sahara like you or me we will likely be dead in 24 hours, less time in the artic or antartica, or the atakama deasert.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not sure how that counters my points.

15. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Terraforming, not that aeroforming. If we found other life it's not likely we will be able to eat it. visit other planets, we probably wont damage its ecosystem. Moving there...Likely we'll likely have to pull a Firefly, and terraform planets.

16. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I am not trying to counter your points just stating, living anywhere except the most pleasent sparts on earth require trial, error, learning and training, space is no diffrent. A far greater task than anything that came before, yes. But it just means doing what humanity has always done.

17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    That is hardly the only issue.

18. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Elaborate, because I am not in the mood for contrarian posturing.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Let's start with radiation shielding, efficient method to get from surface to space, food storage, etc.

20. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    But the same principle applies...none of those issues are impossible to deal with. Just difficult as balls.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, in terms of how sentences relate to one another, or to what I said.

22. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, in terms of how sentences relate to one another, or to what I said.[/quote]

Terraforming, making planets more earthlike? seeding or out right replacing alien life with Terran based lifeforms, so we can survive on other planets long term?

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Speed safety. Even if you had a giant shield meters thick and made of carbon nanotubes it will still not be safe to travel faster than 30% lightspeed. You might could clear the way as far as dust particles with a laser from home(or one onboard if you have the power to do so) and go a bit faster. Perhaps a giant magnetic field well ahead of the ship to move things out of the way?

If people go they are going ot have to go Rama for space and food and material and so forth, and even then the environment should be populated rural.

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You mixed Star Trek's deflector tech and Clarke's Rama craft within two sentences and still don't consider how either tech would be viable within the foreseeable - or not foreseeable - future (especially the Rama craft, with tech Clarke or Lee never bothered to explain since it was created by a vastly superior/unknowable intelligence).

*Sighs* As much as the physics majors here may damper our illusions with the sad reality of what we as a species are currently capable (or is that incapable?) of, I have to concur that dreaming about the sudden discovery of miraculous tech that will take us to the stars and beyond within (or beyond) our lifetimes is just that, a pipe dream. Might as well; the galaxy will be better off. History has shown that we as a species are far more disruptive and destructive than any of the space monsters our imaginations have conjured up.

JoinTheSchwarz and jp-30 like this.
  25. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001