main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    When people say "Disney will do this, Disney won't do that", that's pretty much what's being implied.

By that logic, every decision is a business decision. I mean, a single line of dialogue could affect people's opinion of the film, which in turn could impact the box office. that doesn't mean that Disney is going to do that kind of micro-managing.

Do you really think any of the Disney executives care about whether the EU is followed or not? I don't. They just want a great movie. At the moment, Lucasfilm saying "we've hired an Oscar-winning screenwriter and a hot young blockbuster director" is of far more interest to them than "we're deliberately ignoring the post-Return of the Jedi timeline established by previous Lucasfilm products".

I agree. I just think that's going to be a Lucasfilm decision, not a Disney one.

I mean, I'm sure if they asked, Disney would say "don't worry about the spin-off books, just make the best film possible". But why would they, when that goes without saying?

Why make that explicit statement at all though? Just announce the new EU. The people who are hardcore about continuity will have worked it out for themselves already. The people who maybe read the Thrawn trilogy once, or played Jedi Knight a few years back, will just think "cool, new Star Wars".

"Final say" and "at the end of the day" to me imply that they can just veto any ideas they think are really dire, or would have absolutely no appeal to a mass audience. Lucasfilm will still handle the details.

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    IMO, following the EU or not is more than a small detail. That could potentially change everything about the movie.

3. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    To us? Sure.

To corporate types, and the general audience? Not really. All they care about is getting a great movie.

Like I say, if asked, Disney would probably tell them to ignore the EU and just make the best films possible. But Lucasfilm are probably working on that assumption anyway.

4. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Well, I don't think a Disney exec is sitting there going, "No, don't retcon the Vong!" or whatever. But if they felt it could cost them millions of dollars one way or the other, I'd bet they'd take an interest. Hypothetically, if Lucasfilm were demanding to follow the EU, Disney could easily say no.

EDIT: I'd more likely to consider the EU trivial if it weren't for the death of Chewie.

5. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    I agree. I just don't think that (a) they would take an interest in that level of detail, and (b) Lucasfilm would demand to follow the EU.

6. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes, judging by their track record so far, this would be about as likely as me hooking up with Scarlett Johannson.

7. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    "George Lucas included the droids in the prequel trilogies because, as he put it, he felt it was important that they be included--and close to the action--in all of the "Star Wars" movies, as a way to tie all of the stories together. Thus, Lucas apparently felt that their inclusion in all of the stories was more important than maintaining strict plot continuity in this regard." Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/faq#.2.1.7

George doesnt care about plot continuity. Only basic elemental themes to tie to each other - plot be damned. Expect more focus on the existing themes to widen the arc of the saga. It probably wont impact any future EU simply because the story will end there.
    It will take Star Wars Episode 1 The New Story of Someone Else thats not the Skywalkers for a true reboot - whats important as i have stated many many times...if you have lightsabers and the force thats all you need and a good story.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ever notice how science fiction is never represented in top 10 and top 100 lists of literature of all time?

I mean, I agree the EU has... ahem... flaws. But this certainly isn't the way to prove it.

9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Regardless of whether you like the EU or not, the fact of the matter is that a film has to appeal to the general public. Following the EU makes no sense in that regard. Sure, you wouldn't have to mention or explain everything in order for it to be left intact, but it seriously limits where the story can go if you had to follow everything. The audience would get lost, and the film would largely not make sense to most people.

The idea that "destroying the EU" would cost Disney millions is totally unrealistic in the sense that those books would still exist, and more will continue to come out. There may be a few die-hard EU folks who would leave, but very few if any, and new fans would be in line to replace them 10 to 1.

A few subtle nods and acknowlegments is all the EU is likely to get.

11. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Exactly. If anything, following the EU could cost Disney millions.

12. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I'm sure there have got to be a couple that have earned a reputation as good literature - Wells and Verne, and perhaps more recently Le Guin and Dick?

13. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    They should handle the E.U. like they did with The Clone Wars. Have an animated series that pays homage to the books storylines that is set between Episode VI and VII (Mark can do Voice Over too^:)^) . As for the movies, as I said, Keep the kids names the same. The question is will this movie just be the Solo kids? or will Ben Skywalker be involved cause then they will have to keep Mary Jade name the same also.

I just think Disney and Co would be dead wrong to mess with the names cause to me that could cause more damage to the E.U. then not following the stories. Changing the names would be like elimiating those characters. Also I never agreed with Chewy dying, I'm fine with them changing that. Like I said, A lot of the E.U. deals with "What If's", I've always view the films as the main Cannon of Star Wars.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And Bradbury, probably.

15. Denfra

Denfra Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2013
    no spam darthboba

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  17. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Actually, there are plenty of well regarded sci-fi literary authors, to name a few:
    Harlan Ellison
    Arthur Clark
    Ursula LeGuin
    William Gibson
    Orson Scott Card
    Isaac Asimov
    Jules Verne
    Philip K. Dick
    H. G. Wells
    Ray Bradbury
    Aldus Huxley
    George Orwell
    Wow, the list could go on and on--I even read some of these in high school English. So while sci-fi might be considered a lesser genre by some, these authors (and others) certainly have made it past that. Note: there are no spin-off novels from blockbuster franchise authors on this list. George Lucas, even with all his critics, is clearly in even more exalted company on similar lists of film makers, and that is why Disney wants to tap into that reputation, not that of EU and its stories and characters. And, fear not, there will be a new EU based on the new stories and characters; doubtless it will be of similar quality to the current EU, only different.

18. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    And Asimov and Heinlein and Clarke. Jeez, don't people remember classic sci fi any more?

19. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Every decision is a business decision. Ever hear a creative person use the term "noted to death"? I think every Disney exec. wants the movie to make money, and they have enough experience in the movie business to know how that you need the widest possible audience to come to a movie to make the most movie. And like Star Trek showed, the best way to appeal to a widest audience isn't by include lots of continuity and things that depend on knowing past stories.

Announcing a new EU would be making a public announcement about the old EU.

Its means that Lucasfilm won't be micromanaged, but has to answer to Disney, get their "big picture" marching orders from Disney and have to adher to Disney business policies (like, say, a cartoon show producing a certain amount of profit).

kubricklynch likes this.
  20. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I've made that same point about existing themes and repeating elements etc... Thats a big reason I don't think we'll see a character like Jaina Solo as the main character. If Episode VII took place after all the novels and used her as the main character you'd have a character in 30's, who is a Jedi Knight, experienced warrior, pilot, who is married, has fought in a galaxy wide war, numerous other large conflicts, had to kill her own twin brother etc... Compare her to were Anakin and Luke were at when they were introduced.

The main character of Episode VII will be in a similar position as Anakin and Luke were when Episode VII starts.

21. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    I hope so. Even though it is not likely I would like to see Jacen become Darth Caedus.

22. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Jaina Solo of the Sequel Trilogy does not have to have the same history, or be the same age, as Jaina Solo of the EU. There's no reason why a 20-something Jaina (or ANY Solo/Skywalker kid) can't be the protagonist, especially if the galaxy has been at peace for the past 30-some-odd years and she's never had a chance to really prove herself in combat.

Ryus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    His choice was to include these things from the EU. If he looked at an EU picture, or got told about an EU name, or however it ended up in there - It was George Lucas's choice to include those things. Your not even making sense at this point.

They are all small elements that are part of the story. No, they are not central to the plot but when characters and planets get mentioned by name "Master Vos is moving his troops to Boz Pity" its a nice little touch for EU fans.

Chewie is managable(and sure to happen imo), the other stuff less so but if Disney approaches it in a smart way things can be made to work on the EU side of things that will not effect the films what so ever. Isn't that what you want?

You don't want the films to be stuck with the EU? They don't have to be, they just don't have to contradict everything. Leave room for Mara, Ben and Jaina to exist, or have existed and do their own thing. Seems like this type of approach would work fine for you, the non EU fan, and work for the EU fans who don't want to see everything get bulldozed.

Really as of 40 ABY or so Jacen, Anakin & Mara are no longer even a part of the story so not mentioning them should be easy.(Heck, let the EU assign the ABY date to the film to make the most of it, the films never had the dates anyway). Chewie hasn't been the part of any post ROTJ story in a long time due to his death, so if he does get brought back the only thing that would be a huge contradiction is his death itself. The EU dealt with Fett, it can deal with Chewie.

The EU has always been a work in progress. So while yes, I'd like to see as few changes as possible, maintianing the status quo should not prove too difficult if Disney were to choose to do so.

In the several months since this sale happened LFL, via Disney, has cancelled The Clone Wars Cartoon, shelved the Detours comedy series, cancelled the 3D release of the remaining films and has stopped work on every current video game project at Lucas Arts.

Yes, I think Disney is the one calling the shots. LFL would not shut down everything that has been shut down without being forced to do so.

Ryus and JediMara77 like this.
  24. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Then its not really the same character is it?

Coruscant was left in because Sansweet told him it would make his job is a nightmare and eventually Lucas did it to make things easier on Steve. Aalya was, as far I've always read/seen/been told, was put in the movie by other people. As far is Lucas is concerned its just a Blue Twi'Lek in the movie.

Chewie is managabe? Just ignore that he died ina book, and pretend is in the 20+ books that come after? Thats a pretty big "stomp" on the continuity. I want them to make Episode VII the best it can be, the way for them to do that is ignore the EU. The more constrants they place on themselves, the more the movie will suffer. Having Luke, a beloved character, the main character of the last movies, get married, have a child and lose his wife all off screen is BAD storytelling. Its the same reason you don't have Anakin and Padme get married in a novel and start AotC with them together. Being forced to use a character like Jaina or Ben instead of creating the charaters that fit the story Lucas and Arndt want to tell is a BAD way to go about putting together a movie. And just ignoring things is BAD storytelling. You can't include Allana and not explain were she came from.

Disney and Luacsfilm could keep the EU intact, but at the expense of the movie, and they won't do that. Lucas has never been concerned with the EU and has no ZERO problem contridicting whenever he felt like. When the EU started up there was 1 universe, 1 continuity. Since then there has been a slow but steady move to seperating the two from Lucas's comments to different levels of cannon, to silly retcons and just allowing different elements to exists together. The ST will just speed the proccess up.

DarthPoppy likes this.
  25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Yes. Just like Tony Stark from The Avengers movie is the same Tony Stark from the Iron Man comics.

Ryus and Lane_Winree like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.