main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    They were just examples of the type of villain. Why would the movie Mandos or Vong have to be the same as the books anyway?

The Joker. Alex, from a Clockwork Orange. Hannibal Lector. Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. Tommy De Vito from Goodfellas.

Sure, Chaotic Evil can be boring, but that doesn't mean it can't be awesome as well. ;)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    From those, only Alex and Tommy seem really chaotic evil to me. And those are both scary protagonists, not antagonists.

The Joker is fairly methodical, Patrick Bateman extremely so and Lector as well. Sure they follow their selfish desires, but that applies to lawful evil villains as well.

King Terak likes this.
  3. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Though, how many of those villains do you use before they are "overused", kinda like that word "Epic" :p.

4. Darth Lycan

Darth Lycan Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 28, 2013
    If I could have my wish about the enemy in the ST. I would have a invading army so terrible that former enemies would need to join sides similar to some themes from the eu. I would have Luke seek out the Sith in hiding & the mandalorians to ask for their assistance. During this terrible war Luke will lose some Jedi to the war & the dark side. In the end, the great enemy will be defeated, but Luke is left having to deal with the fallen Jedi & Sith. The Mandos & the new Jedi order have found brotherhood in battle & have earned their redemption in the eyes of the republic & go their own way. This way we get the sith vs Jedi. We have the invading alien race & get to see the Mandos in action. I could also forsee intersting dialog between the sith & the jedi in their interrpretation of the force. Most will be happy in this scenario, maybe?

5. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Flip the POV and they would be villains for sure.

I think we are approaching the concept of being "Chaotic Evil" from different angles. You seem to be suggesting that a Chaotic character can't make plans or be thorough, which I don't believe to be the case.

All three (Joker, Bateman, Lector) indulge in hideous acts of violence and depravity for no reason other than because they enjoy it. That's the very definition of Chaotic Evil. To paraphrase Alfred in The Dark Knight, they don't want money or power, they just want to watch the world burn.

That's a type of villain we haven't seen in Star Wars (the closest we've really had are Maul and Grievous, who both fight for bigger causes but really just enjoy taking out Jedi), and could give us something fresh and interesting. It would have to be well-written, but then so would any villain.

6. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    I agree, I thought Fatal Alliance was a decent novel, breaking from the whole "Jedi vs Sith", giving us something different.

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That might be.

That is wrong. Joker wants to prove a philosophical point (boat scene). Everything he did was geared towards that end goal. Lector also wants to prove a point as shown in dialogue. He wants to prove to Starling what a beast human is. Those are greater (if somewhat selfish) causes which don't fit with the whole chaotic evil philosophy.

Bateman is simply insane though.

Hm, yes, a good hunter character would be nice.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  9. Darth Lycan

Darth Lycan Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 28, 2013
    Yes I concur

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    D'oh!

It's late here, sorry. But anyways, shortly afterwards Maul died himself.

11. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Slave wars like the old Roman times. Since the Jedi weren't interested in freeing slaves the Sith take advantage and invade the inner rim with an army of freed slaves from the outer rim. What would the new Jedi order do....fight to re-enslave the x-slaves? Their refusal to help end slavery or to fight slavery led to the destruction of the Jedi order in the first place.Have them be led by
    led by Darth Spartikos.

12. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Well, that's just one version of the Joker, and strangely enough I would say one of the least insane (vicious and deranged yes, but not as unstable as some interpretations).

Even so, the Joker only spends some of the time trying to make a philosophical point in The Dark Knight. The writers deliberately didn't communicate with each other in regards to the Joker's motivation, hence it's contradictory throughout the movie. Sometimes he's interested in Batman, sometimes in Harvey Dent. Sometimes he wants to kill Batman, sometimes he wants Batman to kill him.

Heck, dude gives a speech saying how great chaos is. How is that not chaotic? :D

Again, that's just one thing Lector does, and he does it because it interests him. He was a monster long before he met Clarice Starling. He murders and eats people because he wants to, and he sees no reason why he shouldn't.

But anyway, this isn't really the place to debate D&D alignment. PM me if you want to carry it on. :)

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Interesting. I didn't know TDK joker was actually written by different authors.

Still, he plans meticulously and his most important scenes are about lecturing humanity. Considering that his agency is "chaos" he acts in a surprisingly straight manner.

Again, that's just one thing Lector does, and he does it because it interests him. He was a monster long before he met Clarice Starling. He murders and eats people because he wants to, and he sees no reason why he shouldn't.[/quote]

He does that because in his worldview man is an animal anyway. Okay, I guess that is fairly chaotic.

14. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    I think a lot of people forget about (or deliberately miss out to focus on the anarchic elements) that part of the TDK!Joker, that's he's a complete hypocrite in regards to the intricate plans and systems he claims to despise. One of my favourite parts of that Joker to be honest. He's so completely and utterly psychotic that you can't reason with him nor ever trust a word he says because he'll use anything you give him against you.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"

Nope, Mr J. That's what makes you so dangerous.

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

Even Ian agrees its, CANON!!!!!! MUHARHARHAR.........

16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    So I guess Ralph Fiennes is the perfect one to play him?

17. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    Haha. Nice. I know it doesn't mean anything, but it's really cool that he actually read the book.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Too bad he didn't voice Palpatine in the audio book .

19. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    In that case which actor would you have play Plagueis? I'd say a rather unknown but they could do something similar to Vader. One actor in a sort of suit or 'costume' and another does the voice. I'd rather not see a CGI villain.

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I liked Dark Empire's storyline, myself, mainly because I felt his fall in ROTJ was a bit weak. But now after seeing ROTS, it makes even more sense to say that he might have discovered the secret to immortality in the use of clones.

I hope one day someone films DE.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  21. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Me too or does some kind of re-interpretation.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    After 34 pages i am not sure if this was mentioned before. Dark Empire is interesting in that it what the original films were supposed to be. Return Of The Jedi was to end with Luke defeating Vader, then episodes 7 - 9 would be fighting Imperial remains, Luke searching for his sister who was not going to be Leia, and Luke confronting Palpatine.

So, since the films turned out as they did the story treatment used and changed and we get Dark Empire. Disney did say it would be a new storyline, but I think the basic idea of Plagueis returning is something GL will use since he is having a hand in the story.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well personally I think he has little to do with Luke but a lot to do with Anakin, since he indeed is Anakin's father.

24. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    To be honest, I absolutely suck in this. I would imagine someone who would actually pull of angelic charisma at the first glance, absolutely nothing like Palpatine and actally somehow reminding of younger Luke and yet be able of mesmerizing look (lol, homophones) in his eyes telling he has a mind of twisted genius. From the geeky movies actors I would say Michael Fassbender (wow, this guy is as old as the saga is). When it comes to female Plagueis, now that could be fun....

Darth kRud likes this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Ralph is perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.