main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, and let's not forget that the HP books are strongly tainted by blatant pro-Gryffindor bias. Boo, JKR. Boo, I say!

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  3. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Actually according to Pottermore, the other three forced Salazar out of Hogwarts because his bigotry was getting so out of hand.

So... it really doesn't make sense why they kept a Slytherin House at the school after that. [face_plain]

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    But... but my fan theory! It was a good one.

At least let me think that the epilogue is the only part of Rowling's "Harry Potter biography" that she completely made up since it happens in the future. Because I just enjoy my head-canon that on one day she was sitting somewhere when Dumbledore walked by, had a discussion with her and asked her to write down Harry's story so it could one day be used to lift the Statute of Secrecy.

By the way, the charity books have written introductions by Albus Dumbledore for muggle readers (these creatures don't exist and can't hurt you) and so their muggle editions have to have been in production before 1997. Could Dumbledore have got the permission from the ministry by pointing towards the growing dementor problem and saying that giving the muggles some fun time could help keeping the dementor population down?

5. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    Hey! Did anyone else get annoyed by the fact that we nevet got to read what HP turned out to be? I was so hoping to learn that he became an auror (and don't say they are unnecessary now that Voldyboy is dead) but she didn't even mention it at all. She didn't say what any of them became, except for Neville, actually.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    She said it in interviews and stuff, and it will be in the encyclopedia as well as Pottermore, but none of that is really important.

The books began with the loss of Harry's family. He always wanted to be "just Harry." When he looked into the Mirror of Erised, he saw himself having a family.

The books end showing Harry, for the first time, having a family. And he's happy, he's just being himself, just being a father. I think that, if he could look into the Mirror of Erised right then, it would have been a perfect reflection. As Dumbledore said, the truly happy man would find nothing at all remarkable about the Mirror of Erised.

Jedi Merkurian , Rew and NYCitygurl like this.
  7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I quite like that theory.

I like the Slytherin one, too; too bad it doesn't mesh with the canon :p

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It would have been awesome for Harry to be the DADA teacher. He's already got plenty of experience on his résumé!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I don't see him as a permanent teacher, but I can see him coming to Hogwarts occasionally to give guest lessons/lectures. :p

10. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Oh, I do too! It's quite well thought out, and would've been fine up until a few months ago. :p

But yeah, there was a little bit of consternation among HP fans when that bit on Pottermore about Salazar went up last year, I remember.

I agree with what Summer Dreamer said about the story's ending, but thankfully JKR has added details about numerous characters' lives in interviews and such:
    - Harry goes on to become an Auror immediately after Deathly Hallows and by the time of the Epilogue has become the head of the Auror dept. (and the youngest to do so). Also, as Mar17swgirl indicated above, he sometimes guest lectures at Hogwarts DADA lessons but has never become a full-time professor.
    - Ron also foregoes his seventh year at Hogwarts to join Harry in the Auror dept. He eventually becomes Harry's second-in-command. JKR doesn't say this, but I think in this way Ron also fulfills his Mirror of Erised desire--he stands out from among his brothers, by his stand against the Dark Arts.
    - Hermione alone of the trio returns to Hogwarts for her seventh year. She eventually joins the Ministry and introduces a lot of progressive legislation, particularly in favor of beings like House-elves. So she fulfills that part of her that wanted to start SPEW. But I'm very sad that Rowling has never indicated that Hermione returns to teach, because I could totally see her becoming the next McGonagall.
    - Ginny I think becomes Gryffindor's next Quidditch captain and later in life becomes a Quidditch correspondent/analyst.
    - George marries Angelina and carries on the twins' shop in Fred's absence (Ron sometimes helps). JKR said he could never cast a Patronus again after Fred's death.
    - Luna marries the grandson of that Scamander guy who wrote Fantastical Beasts and Where to Find Them, and the two of them travel the world researching magical creatures. She eventually lets go of her belief in some of her mythical animals like the Crumple-horned Snorkack, etc.

11. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    It has now been over 14 and a half years since Harry got his sandwich from Kreacher. Wonder what the lot are up to right now? Abe and Rose are about 7 years old, Hugo is 5 and Lily is 4. The older kids are in the age where they need to be taught to read and write and have even little mathematical skills, because their school won't teach those (I wouldn't be surprised if Hermione put her children in a muggle school for the time before turning 11). Then they have their careers as aurors, Quidditch players and law-changers. At least no one is trying to kill them Hermione and Ginny forget it.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    -Heaven help George if he’s up against a Dementor, eh?
    -Poor Neville L
    -I imagine that a conversation between a couple of Dark Wizards would go something like…
    Who’s on our trail?
    Harry Potter.
    *wets pants*

13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Don't all Hogwarts students go to primary school before getting their Hogwarts acceptances at age 11? (Of course, students like Gregory Goyle might make us doubt the validity of that idea. :p)

This isn't canon, but I like to think that for those who aren't so good with positive thinking, fire would work pretty well against dementors (I guess because it worked so well against Ringwraiths in LotR, ha).

Nah, not really. He ended up marrying Hannah Abbott, who would take over ownership of the Three Broomsticks, where the couple came to live. Hogwarts kids found the couple "cool" because of that, according to JKR.

[face_cowboy]

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    You mean a regular, Muggle primary school? Only Muggle-born, I'd imagine, and possibly even half-bloods with one Muggle parent, but I can't imagine pureblood wizards sending their kids to Muggle schools. I imagine they teach their kids how to write and count at home.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I once did a bit of Chuck Norris-style listing of things that Harry Potter actually accomplished:

Harry Potter took down the most powerful Dark Wizard to have ever lived…and then went back to school.

Harry Potter blocked the Unblockable Curse. Three times.

Harry Potter is the first, last, and only master of the Deathly Hallows.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't there that one theory that Lupin was James Potter in disguise?8-}

17. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Most definitely. There was also a theory that Dumbledore is Ron from the future.

18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Certainly for Muggle parents, they would send their kids to a Muggle primary school. For magical families, I suspect they could home-school as you suggest here. I could easily see Mrs. Weasley doing that for her kids pre-Hogwarts, or a family like the Malfoys hiring a tutor. But I don't think it's hard to believe there wouldn't have been wizard-run primary schools (or a magical equivalent) that would teach the basics of language, math, etc. without any instruction in magic. After all, the latter half of the 20th century would've seen the same feminist boon of households with both parents working that the Muggle world did, so those kids would need outside instruction before receiving their first owl.

(And half-bloods could go either way, as you say!)

This theory is mental... brilliant, but mental.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I much prefer the way the movie handled Luna and Neville--outright showing that they get together. I always thought they were cute.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Who thought DH Part 2 was the best film of the series?

21. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I watched A Very Potter Senior Year the other night. Cried hysterical tears.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone watch A Very Potter Senior Year on youtube?

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That was perfect. Much more satisfying ending than the last movie to me.

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I went to the Potter section at Universal Studios a few days ago. It was awesome! The overall design was my favorite part. I loved all the buildings. I spent so much money in the candy store. I bought some of the every flavor jelly beans that I'm gonna stick in a bowl on my desk at work and dare people to eat them :D The butter beer was probably my second favorite part, my guide at Disney said it's about 1200 calories per glass lol.

25. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I finished my first read through a few weeks ago. Must say this was a really well done series of books. Have to say Deathly Hallows was my favorite, and was extremely disappointed that stuff in the book didn't happen the same way in the movie. The final Showdown with Voldemort was very cinematic in my opinion, and I could have easly seen that adapted for the screen.

Summer Dreamer likes this.