main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Sparing us three more Christie Golden books would be a merciful move on LFL's part.

Yes, I'm allowed to complain this much. Her FOTJ books were that bad.

S1thari, JackG and FatSmel like this.
  2. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    JAINA. It took her 20 years and the deaths of both her brothers to get this shot. I don't care if it's awful. If it gets Sunridered it will all have been for nothing.

Also, I'll cry into my Pepsi Max.

JackG, Draconarius, Reveen and 7 others like this.
  3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I seem to recall Obi-Wan having his hands really full with Jango Fett.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  4. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, with Jango and the kid in the cockpit of Slave I who started taking pot shots at him with the ship's cannon, sure. :p

6. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Obi-Wan in a robe / unarmed starfighter funded by republic taxpayers
    vs
    Jango Fett in a cool suit of armour with jet pack, blasters, rocket launcher, cables and fancy viewing helmet / in an awesome Starfighter with rapid-fire lasers and homing missiles payed for on a Bounty Hunter's salary

. . . that's a bit different

7. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

Jaina really strikes me as Siri type. her sense of duty is uncompromising, but she was allowed to love whom she wanted. Siri loved Obi-wan, but she was a Jedi first.

Jaina will leave Jag if she feels it's necessary.

kataja likes this.
  8. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I do like the idea of a Jedi being just, if not more, confused by overwhelming emotions form multiple vectors or being unsure how to react when their senses are telling them two different things (this person is my friend/DANGER! DANGER!), and I think Jaina is a good character to explore that sort of thing with.

I'm not a fan of Golden, but I think it's a shame that Jaina hasn't gotten more focus as a character. I honestly think he character is strong enough to easily carry a series of books, and I really hope that these are allowed to go through and kept in canon no matter what happens with the licensing agreements.

What's most annoying is that I think there's a large amount of Jaina's life that I don't think has been explored as much as possible because of the time jumps in the books. I'd love to see stories set during Mara's life and see Jaina and Mara interacting more. I thought they made a great pair in LoTF, and I'd love to see more interaction between not just that pair, but lots of the female characters that don't get enough attention like Mirax and others.

9. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    There is definitely a lot more to explore with Jaina. I too would like to see some interactions wit her and Mara...perhaps pre-Vong.

10. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I would prefer this. The whole post-FOTJ galaxy seems like a mess. And Jaina has just gotten more boring as the series' have rolled by.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Ten year olds are generally a good match for a Jedi :p

Ulicus likes this.
  12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Golden is not awful. yes sher is a Star Wars rookie, but I thought Ascension and Allies was decent. give her time

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    She has been given time. There's a famous baseball-themed metaphor that applies perfectly to her.

S1thari likes this.
  14. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    How many SW books has she written?

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The real question is... how many edited SW books has she written?

Jeff_Ferguson and CT-867-5309 like this.
  16. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Ok, how many edited ones has she written? Im genuinely curious...

17. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    She's written over two dozen books for other franchises and her prose is still clunky as hell and generally unstylish. With way, way too much tell don't show in regards to feelings and motivations.

Even if screwing up characterizations and minutiae is forgivable for a long running series reading her stuff still feels like trying to swim through molasses. Which is especially bad in a zip-bang space opera franchise.

FatSmel and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  18. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I can't say I'm a fan of Golden, but I agree with this. Her three Star Wars books (there's your answer Chewbacca89, although Google would have given it to you in about 15 seconds. Bummer) each got progressively better. And not just slightly better, I thought each one was a huge jump in quality from the last. Say what you will about the overall series quality or the constraints she was forced to work with, of course.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    She has good ideas, good intentions, good spirit, and was good with the Lost Tribe and her other creations... but not so good with existing characters, and awful with plotting and proofreading. Though Del Rey clearly should have gotten more editors to work with her, the latter is not entirely her fault.

20. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Zahn, Luceno, Stackpole, Allston, Denning (and every other SW author i can think of) didn't need to be given time.
    I actually can't think of an author who started poorly and then got significantly better.

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    This is really just a matter of opinion. I enjoyed Golden's entries in the FotJ series. Just because you think those authors haven't gotten better over time, doesn't mean Golden doesn't need some time. Every author is different and its foolish to put them all on the same scale.

22. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Yes it's a matter of opinion. When a lot of opinions are similar, that is called a "trend". Trends can be very telling.

Personally I expect little improvement from Christie Golden.

23. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So your saying it's a "trend" that all authors are great right from the start?

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think he's saying it's a trend that mediocre authors stay mediocre authors, good authors stay good authors, and bad authors stay bad authors. Christie Golden was a published writer for years before she got into Star Wars. I don't think she's a bad author, but she definitely need better editing, both of the proofreading kind and of the plotting/pacing kind.

25. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Not what I was saying at all, although now that you mentioned it, in my experience, yes they are.

That too.

But what I intended to say was that, while it is always a matter of opinion (some people think she is a good author, just as some people probably thought Hitler was a great man back in 1930s Germany), the trends (eg. a lot of people think person x is bad) can be telling.
    So the trend would be that a lot of people think Christie Golden is not a good star wars author.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.