main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did the Rebels blow up their own guys?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Jan 4, 2013.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Innocent lives? The Death Star was the deadliest weapon in the galaxy, and a legitimate military target. If there were prisoners? Too bad, their deaths ensure freedom for countless others. And any retailers or contractors working on either of the Death Stars knew where they were working and did so at their own risk. If you wanted to set up a pizza shop would you do it on a military rig patrolling the North Korean peninsula? Probably not.

2. A'den Skirata

A'den Skirata Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    I'am sure there were hundreds of rebel prisoners that died when The Death Star was destroyed.

3. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    While you have fair points, I should again say what I said before.

The retailers and contractors probably thought there was no risk. Why? The way all those bigwigs in the Empire were going about the station's invincibility, the retailers/contractors were probably to concede that nothing would happen. They fell into what I like to call "Titanic Syndrome".

Your analogy isn't good IMO because we know only an idiot would try to do that. We KNOW North Korea has risks and dangers. The Death Star I? For all intents and purposes, we would be under the impression it IS invincible.

You would do well to remember that the discovery of the thermal exhaust port was just a lucky chance, and the chances of shooting down a proton torpedo were slim for people that weren't called Luke Skywalker. While we may say it's not impossible, it's HIGHLY unlikely that the station would be destroyed because the gauntlet the Rebels had to run was extremely tough.

Now the Death Star II on the other hand? Those people would clearly know the risk now. They figure "oh crap, if the 1st Death Star could be destroyed, what about the second one?"

I concede to the whole innocent lives=unfortunate thing because its a war and anything can tragically happen, but don't forget the poor unfortunate souls who were roped in by the Empire on to working their gigantic planet-busting ball because they were made to believe it was invincible.

4. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    If you take a job on a military vessel you are at risk for military strikes. NO weapon or fortress is truly invincible. History has proven this time and time again. Stupidity isn't an excuse to consider them innocent lives.

5. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Who's history? Let's not forget that this is set in the past, a long long time ago.

What was Luke suppossed to do, just cause a power cut? No giant laser, no way of removing the shields to launch vehicles, etc etc it'd just sit there floating!!

6. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't understand the reference to Luke. But even in Star Wars history, the Star Forge, the Dark Reaper, Centerpoint Station, heck most people though the Republic was invincible and even that was toppled. Assuming something is invincible is not intelligent at all. Not to mention if they were working on a planet destroying space station because they thought it was invincible then their scumbags who deserve to die. Will they quit their jobs when the Death Star points it's laser at their homeworlds?