main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will this new Trilogy be a precursor to another Prequel?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Immortiss, Mar 10, 2013.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Benefit of the doubt. You're just trying to have a conversation. I am gonna go post in one of the 17 Mark Hamill threads on the first page... talk to you later...

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think as long as Episode 7 is successful and I wholey expect it to be then we will see a continuation up to 12 episodes.

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    You're probably right. My only thought, though was the last trilogy will not have the main protagonists in them. There will be no Luke Skywalker. And this is 30 years ofter ROTJ and really not much of a sequel then. But more SW the better.

4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I think we'll see prequel material for Episode VII as well. Whether it be a post RotJ cartoon series or spin-off movies etc...

5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, but that's the thing Disney has always stated -- they want to move on to a new generation. Other than the droids and perhaps Chewie all the original characters will be killed off or fade away.Passing the torch to a new generation mean sthey can go in virtually any direction the story takes them without being limited by the original cast and their age etc...

6. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    Having read some of you subsequent posts i understand better where you were coming from with regard to your original posting.
    However as much as us geeks might freak out (in a good way) if we were to see EpX appear in 2015, i think the general cinema-going public (and lets face it that is who these films are made for) would be simply confused.
    In my opinion the public understand a sequel to Jedi and are looking forward to seeing what comes next. Change that to it's a sequel but so far down the line we will be delivering the prequels which will be the actual sequel at a later date, and it will just confuse and annoy the general cinema-going public. I dont see tptb deciding this is a wise course of action.

7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Absolutely! As they should. And that's inevitable. But I still think back to Lucas and his M.O. He's always changing or tampering with these movies. Technology always went hand in hand at Lucasfilm. They will push on. I don't think we see the last of Luke Skywalker and friends in the ST. Their too important to the Disney/Lucasfilm portfolio. They're all set to recast Han Solo in a standalone. As time goes on various actors will be playing these parts. Non-actors, if you consider animation and a greater push to realism in technology. At any rate, these characters will be recast. As time goes on the old and new actors playing these characters will be mixed and enmeshed. I would like to see the new actor who plays Han in the standalone play Han in trilogy the precedes this new ST.

Also, concerning these Skywalker trilogies, the writers are limited to certain themes of motifs or they wouldn't be SW. Their hands are tied to some degree or another. Whether it is a new generation of Skywalkers or not. Which is what I'm proposing. By making this EPISODE VII, they lose a great opportunity for another trilogy with younger characters and and a recast with younger actors.

8. Resolution

Resolution Jedi Padawan

Mar 12, 2013
    There should not be a prequel to everything. You can fill in the gaps with your own stories in your mind on what happened between ROTJ and the ST. It's okay, really. I have done that with before ANH and in between each movie. My own version of events.

9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Not everything needs a sequel either. The prequel I'm talking about is actually a sequel, but this gets so darn confusing. Love the blue milk.

10. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Excuse the lack of clarity, difficulty trying to get my thoughts out.

You're probably right. TPTB will play conservatively, but JJ Abrams could be considered an edgy pick for this film.

For once I would like to get the geeks pumped up and not disappointed. But whatever you do, someone's bound to be upset.

11. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I have no story in my head except Luke being a jedi and rocking and Han and Leia rocking.

I'm pretty sure I'll be satisfied.

lbr789, Khalil O. and Sean Sinclair like this.
  12. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    Very true - particularly where Star Wars is concerned!

13. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Hopefully they're not rocking in chairs:)

14. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I like the idea. Even if it was a one-off film or standalone. There's too much story potential between the films too ignore. I don't care what anybody says about rebooting. I think people LOVE the characters of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo...not to mention the Droids, who have always been my absolute favorites, to neglect giving those characters new life. It's the stories that make a film(s) fantastic and enduring. I know, I know, who could play Han like Harrison. You just have to get the best actor out their to play a great version, that might bring a new, interesting direction to the character. People change...Han of of the Battle of Yavin is not going to be the same as Han 10-20 years ABY. Let's hope not if we want the characters to evolve and change.

I think what is so exciting about these new films is the last chance to see the originals portray their long lost friends!

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Prequel trilogy to Star Wars Episode 7 is actually Star Wars Episodes 4-6.

Did I just blow your mind?

Jcuk and Sean Sinclair like this.
  16. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Have you ever read any of the comics? Why imagine, unless you're a writer. Some of the comics do a great job of filling the stories. I would like to see official versions on film, with the music and special effects and the swashbuckling and all the rest of that great tradition of cinema. It's our imaginations that were sparked by the films and I long to see much more, if possible.

17. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes! Totally! I NEVER thought of that. I have to admit...the title of the my thread is terrible.

All SW Films have a backstory and I thought that it would be in tradition to create one, and that is probably happening now to some extent, because it has been an important part of the storytelling in SW up to this point. I think the thread says that all wrong. I just want to see all 12 movies made, I'm so freaking consumed. I'm sick...I want to know the backstory before the story...I just want a lot of stories.

18. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I beg to differ. Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, et, al. are too valuable to the Lucasfilm and now Disney Portfolios. Those characters are iconic and enduring. We have not seen the last of them after this trilogy. I wish I can guarantee that, but it would be darn right idiotic to 'move on' from these characters. They're beloved all over the world and part of the cultural lexicon.

19. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    It will be interesting how many episodic movies they go up to. It indeed would be silly to go all the way up to episode XX or XXX though. One thing they could do if all these films are very successful is they could just put a time period on the current group of Star Wars movies and give it a name. Then they could go into a different time period and start all over at Ep. I

20. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Sometimes showing to much of a character is a bad thing. There is going to come a point where all the story of Luke. Leia, and Han that needs to be told has been told and it will be best to move on to a different group of characters.

21. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Personally, I don't think they'll go beyond Episode IX. I mean, it's going to be pretty hard to provide a full conclusion to Episodes I-VIII as it is. Plus, film studios are traditionally reluctant to keep using sequel numbers once they get above 5 or so.

Don't see that happening. It'll be confusing to new fans, and let's face it, Disney and Lucasfilm are not going to want the new film to be mistaken for TPM. :p

22. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Do you think they will just continue to make more standalone movies? I seriously doubt they would just stop making Star Wars films altogether unless there was not enough interest in it to warrant them.

23. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I'm sure they'll continue to make films, both standalones and sub-series, but they want use the "Episode" title any more.

I mean, this is just my hunch, there hasn't been any official confirmation.

24. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    i get what your saying and makes some sense....

If they recast the big 3 like in 20 years, nobody would be offended and they could pick up after ROTJ.... in the mean time, use the big 3 for later episodes....

That being said, I don't think it will happen.... The sequal/prequal thing was a one time thing, I think disney needs to take this in a new direction while respecting the integrity of the story....

also, i dont think replaying the life of annakin with luke or one of his kids will work, disney needs to be careful there...

25. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I was thinking along the lines of even changing Episode numbers as a way to adjust. Purists would hate the idea, but it's not like you are changing the Title, its just a number in the end.

Also, I used be completely put off by the EU and the PT. But the more I think of Lucas and his vision and the more I learn, I come to the conclusion that I'm the one who is not looking closer at the larger vision. It's like GL is still fighting executives at FOX in 1975, trying to get them to see his vision. He's still trying to get us to see. He is an incredible genius.