main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

JUST saw TS3? [face_not_talking]

But yeah, although the whole TS series goes from strength to strength, T3 is the most heartwrenching and lovely 'transitions' from childhood to adult hood, and as may of us 'grew up' with the OT', I think he's going to nail us to the wall and make us beg for more....

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Toy Story 3 was the best example of a sequel I can think of, besides Empire Strikes Back and Return of the King of course. It just did everything right. It gave us an amazing end to our main character's fate, it gave us a tragic and well thought out villain with good motivation, a great plot, funny moments that weren't made for 3 year olds, etc. And of course, the feeling and style of the incinerator scene is how I imagine Han Solo or Luke Skywalker going out. The entire theme of Toy Story 3 is "giving up what you have to the next generation", and that would work great with the theme of "passing on what you have learned" that we're going to see in he sequels.

Abrams and Arndt, we're in good hands.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    No thanks. :p

I am in no way a fan of his directing style...

Arndt is great.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well said, my good man! :)

5. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is exactly how I feel.

FinleySlade likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't think it's sci-fi so much as it is trailers. I've wondered for years how anyone expects this kind of thing to get people interested in movies.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I'd seen the first two, but missed the third somehow. Last night I sat down and watched all three and I have to say that Toy Story 3 is definitely the best, imo. Arndt's script was just the most clever and emotionally moving.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Great hands. I was dragged to the theater to see LMS but I had a unexpected wonderful time. Same story with TS3. Arndt is perfect for Episode VII IMO and I hope he stays on for the last two as well.

Echo-07 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    If he wrote the 40-50 page treatment for the whole trilogy that's been reported he may very well write the scripts for all three.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, that's very much what I'm hoping for. A collaboration with Arndt, Kasdan and Kinberg seems like a great team for the sequel trilogy to me. Throw in the input from GL that the writers will get and I think we're good to go.

11. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Little Miss Sunshine is a movie my wife loves, so I have seen it. Call me superstitious, but I get nervous when everybody starts saying everything will be fine. Things may go well, but I am still nervous. I agree Arndt has a good track record.

12. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Yup. When you compare this amazing team with the PT (Lucas pretty much on his own with no critical appraisal), it gives me great confidence that the ST will far surpass the PT and be right up there with the OT.

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    What you mean the new film should have mutliple endings, completely leave out the resolution off the main villain from the previous two films, and completely re-write/ignore one of the most important parts of the book in regards to the main characters development.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    True that! But still, it was a pretty damn good movie.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Movies only have one ending. Oh, you thought you could leave whenever the screen went dark? Well, now you know better. By the way, if those moments count as "multiple endings", they were all right from the book, so cutting them out means taking important things out of the book. In fact, from the book's perspective, the only one that qualifies as an ending is the real ending, so even calling them "multiple endings" in the first place means we don't really care about remaining faithful to the book, right?

Yeah.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    The only movie that I can remember that had GOOD 'multiple endings' (and one hysterical final one) was "Clue"....

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    There was not mutliple endings in the book

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The scenes that you think of as "multiple endings" were all in the book, but are not endings. They weren't the end of the narrative of the book, and they're not endings in the film either. In fact the first one would be a ridiculous excuse for an ending. It was never meant to be any such thing. The screen went dark. Big deal. There's no rule that says you have to be rising out of your seat any time the screen goes dark.

eht13 and Vthuil like this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Speaking of endings, Michael Arndt is kinda known for writing good ones.

20. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Not sure why you wouldn't want to watch it -- it isn't a "chick flick." It's just an awesome movie (small yet BIG) that gives you every kind of emotion. It's a nearly flawless film.

I love it even more knowing that it is basically a BIG F U to Arnold Schwarzenschnitzel.

21. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    To have to star out the letter F.

22. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I did not say it was a bad movie. I was saying that without my wife I would not have been drawn to it. That said, it was a good movie, but not one I would watch repeatedly, such as TESB.

Jcuk likes this.
  23. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Abrams and Arndt...tehe. We need the new main star to have an A last name and we can call them the "Triple A's" :D

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  24. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Or we could just call Abrams and Arndt the 'Double A's'

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    What is your opinion of Terminator 2 and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?
    Maybe you meant it is a good example of a conclusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.