main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series For Discussion of Old TCW episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Nov 19, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Assassin:

Ugh, I can see right away that this is another Ahsoka orgasm episode.

And I got three minutes into it before wanting to go through my TV screen and knock the hell out of her. She thinks she's too good to stay back and study? Or that Anakin won't make it without her?

Oh for ****'s sake, Yoda, tell her to train herself to let go of everything she fears to lose and send her on. Don't accelerate the already high bull**** level here.

And Padme, you still need a new character model. And you need to tell Ahsoka to put down the death sticks and slowly walk away. "How could you go knowing the threat to your life?" Because she doesn't make her decisions based on the predictions of egotistical teenagers.

The girl-bonding moment was cool. All they needed were hair accessories and strawberry lip gloss.

Bad AOTC flashback. Baaaad. Didn't even have the cool sexual innuendo of Anakin on Padme's bed with his lightsaber ignited.

Holy ****, Alderaan is beautiful. I don't know where in the real world it's modeled after but I want to go. But you'd think Ahsoka would be cold in those snowy mountains in that tube top.

I'm glad Aurra Sing is alive only because that means Ahsoka didn't kill her.

At least Padme got off the stun shot.

I see shapes and purple. ROTFLMAO.

And epic fail visit to an androgynous hysterical Hutt.

Ugh all around.

2/10

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I sense I might need to revisit Assassin.

The Shadow Emperor and 07jonesj like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Evil Plans:

I liked the Anakin/Padme domestic scene; showed their marriage at a better time. I actually felt bad for Padme stressed about kissing political ass, and I liked Anakin trying to settle her down.

3PO bargaining. LOL. And R2's beeped out "**** you, you've been an ass to me all day and I most certainly will be going to the droid spa." Even better.

So Cad Bane has 3PO, who doesn't stop talking even while being electrocuted.

The droids are after R2 and I think we're supposed to worry about the damn fruit.

3PO's "It's all coming back to me now" put that Meatloaf song in my head. Ye gods.

They get unceremoniously tossed out just beside the ass-kiss fruit. How convenient.

Cad Bane gets paid, and the Hutt Council...more obesity there than in the deep-frying capitals of the South.

And...the droids return just in time to keep Anakin from having to sleep on the couch. Well played.

This one amused me. And for that...

8/10

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hunt for Ziro:

Ziro, you are just gross and a scum bag. This is going to be a long 22 minutes.

LOL could Obi-Wan's dislike for Vos be any more obvious?

"That's like, your opinion, man." I was waiting for Vos to light up a bong before he started the ship.

Oh gods, which Harlequin novel did Ziro and Sy steal those lines from?

Obi-Wan vs the sea creature was amusing.

Mama Hutt: "all these years of not calling and you show up at dinner time." And she sold him out. Hilarious.

Holy hell, Sy. You go girl. My respect for you just multiplied by a factor of about a million.

Good cliff fight at the end.

4/10

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I noticed a few things when we watched the S2 Mandalore arc as part of our Death Watch marathon viewing party the other night that hadn't stuck out in my memory and watching reminded me of.

These are pretty brutal episodes. TCW was pretty brutal from the beginning, with lightsaber stabbings in Duel of the Droids and Cloak of Darkness and Cad Bane blasting a senator in Hostage Crisis, but this arc had a few steps beyond that, especially in the arc opener, The Mandalore Plot. Most notably, it had a pretty graphic suicide involving a guy jumping off a building and ker-splatting pretty hard, cracking the ground. This is a bit of a precursor to the jumping suicide later in S4's slaver arc. Later, Pre Viszla kills one of his own men with a shot to the head for something really minor, which I think is definitely a step beyond the Hostage Crisis example since it was one of his own men and it was for practically nothing. It really makes life seem expendable to him, even more than Cad.

I remembered there being some mention of ancient Jedi history in the arc, but there was more than I remembered, it wasn't just one perfunctory line or anything. Ancient Jedi history is one of my absolute favorite topics for TCW to cover, and it only does so rarely, so it was great hearing more about it than I remembered.

Last and most importantly, there was an appearance from Darth Sidious in Duchess of Mandalore I totally forgot about, another item on the list of my absolute top things for a TCW episode to have. And the especially cool thing about it was he was talking to Darth Tyranus about his personal interest in seeing Mandalore taken over. To me, this has a big impact on the S5 Darth Maul arc. Darth Sidious really wanted that planet taken over, and Darth Tyranus wasn't able to get the job done where Darth Maul could. It's not clear whether Darth Maul did what he did to impress Sidious as he claims in The Lawless, but if he was, we know from the Duchess of Mandalore scene that he couldn't have done a better job of picking out his goal and accomplishing it. Even if he was really trying to strike out on his own and not trying to impress Sidious, it still shows how much his mind has been shaped by Sidious that their ideas were aligned so exactly.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin stabbing Merric in the back while he (Merric) was arguing with Obi-Wan and Satine over who would be willing to be the cold-blooded killer, made me laugh and cringe at the same time. My first reaction was, "Damn...no, he didn't just do that," and then, "Well, yeah, he did...he's Anakin." :p

As much as I dislike displays of brutality just for brutality's sake, I think these episodes were more realistic, given that there is nothing pretty about war and they don't need to Disney-fy it. (Pun intended.)

The most brutal displays so far in any episodes for me have been the displays of torture; Ropal was the worst IMO but there have been several others.

I'm planning to watch Heroes on Both Sides and Pursuit of Peace in a bit, as soon as the big kiddo finishes his homework.

7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Torture in SW doesn't affect me because it's always electrocution. I'm aware that would likely be very painful but I honestly smile every time it pops up due to that apparently being the only torture method available in GFFA.

Electrocuting 3PO in Evil Plans just makes it more hilarious.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's because 3PO always yells some equivalent of "It's a nightmare!!!" over and over even when he's being electrocuted. Plus the whole discussion about his having an empty head was funny.

The torture of Shmi in AOTC wasn't shown but that wasn't electrocution.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Probably because electrocution is one of the Cartoon Network friendly forms of torture. Well besides tying Johnny from Ed, Edd, and Eddy down to a chair and denying him a restroom.

10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, this conversation transitioned from amusing to dark in a single sentence. I forgot about this. :(

Unrelated note, but I swear that Double D is a woman. Also, Kenny from Beyblade...

You know maybe I have some sort of gender identification problem in regards to cartoons. [face_thinking]

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, that was in the film. I think Seerow is right, electrocution is CN friendly.

The Ropal scene almost literally made me sick though. And Dooku electrocuting Anakin wasn't fun to watch either.

12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    They stuck Ropal's tongue out after he died. :p

I guess I'm used to seeing torture in horror stuff and squirming at that, so I've become desensitized to the more tame stuff. That, or it's because we knew Ropal for approximately 45 seconds before he died.

Emotional turmoil has always hit me harder than physical pain in fiction anyway. A character seeing a loved one die is worse than any torture that can be afflicted physically.

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    As far as torture in TCW goes, I actually think some of the psychological torture has been the worst. Two examples that immediately spring to mind are the group of slaves dropped down the bottomless pit in Slaves of the Republic and Darth Maul gloating as he kills Satine, both to break Obi-Wan Kenobi.

And the way Anakin just shrugs off the murder as justified without a second thought makes it even more chilling and really drives home that the "cold-blooded killer" line really does apply to him.

Circular_Logic and 07jonesj like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Heroes on Both Sides:

This hits a little close to reality in the beginning. ****ing ***hole war profiteers.

Padme being the "center of the problem" seems a little much. She doesn't really seem to be a threat to the war profiteers at all, as no one in the Senate is listening to her.

Anakin is naive in thinking there is no corruption in the Republic, and Ahsoka talks back to him. *sigh*

Mina Bonteri. How the hell did Padme's mentor on Naboo become a Separatist?

And enter Justin Bieber Edward Cullen Lux. And Ahsoka rebuffs his gentlemanly advances. LMAO.

"Seems boys are the same..." Yes, Ahsoka, he's checking out your curves. And?

"Unlike the Republic, corporations do not rule us." LOL green people.

Ah, war profiteer ***holes. "Oh noes!!! They don't want to fight!" It would be funny if I didn't know that they really exist.

Ahsoka: 'I could kick your ass in battle.' That's a weird way of picking up a guy.

Oh hell. Time to blow **** up and send everyone into a panic.

And Anakin--really? Get off your high horse.

Moral of this story: they who have the gold make the rules.

I was either bored or annoyed the entire time.

1/10. (My son gave it the same, after having a WTF? expression on his face the whole time. He only liked the sweeper droid bombers.)

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Pursuit of Peace:

Ugh, people shouldn't elect toddlers to represent them in the Senate. Padme is the only one making sense.

Poor Padme, finding out about Mina in that way.

Banking Clan: "War is distasteful." Unless I'm making a ****load of money on it.

Dooku threatening Padme in a bar. Again why are they afraid of her? Nobody listens to her.

"I'll pay another visit to those still undecided." Don't forget the fruit.

Ugh. "We created the clones to die in this war." That dude has some sweet fish tanks though.

"I'd like to walk" a block in the Coruscant ghetto. Padme, you dumbass.

Hang on, people fly like bats out of hell in Coruscant all the time, Anakin jumps into other people's speeders and flies through power couplings, but Padme gets busted by the cops? Really? What is this, police profiling of short chicks with overused character models?

At least Padme understands that the Senate doesn't listen to her.

Short version of Padme's speech: Tecla's kids are smelly because the Republic needs more clones. (Padme, let Tecla and her kids use your fancy penthouse bathroom. Thanks and your welcome.)

One point for Palpatine being super-creepy in the end.

2/10

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    After looking through this thread, I realized that Tomboy had the exact thoughts on Mortis as I did. Like, word for word. I've got it written down right here in front of me, and it's almost exact. I don't have much else to say, most of my material was just pointing out Ahsoka's role as Captain Obvious, but here it is, FWIW.

Overlords

Anakin, don't go into the light!
    [​IMG]

Daughter: It is forbidden for you to touch me!

She doesn't like to be touched! Even to save her life! They're really taking the detached light side avatar all the way.

Anakin: Enough with the riddles, old man.

Ha, I like this Anakin. Well, for about two seconds.

I just hated Qui-Gon's appearance. Remember that scene from ROTS that went something like this?

YODA: Master Kenobi, a moment. In your solitude on Tatooine, training I have for you.
    OBI-WAN: Training??
    YODA: An old friend has learned the path to immortality.
    YODA: One who has returned from the netherworld of the Force. . . your old Master.
    OBI-WAN: Oh, you mean Qui-Gon? Yeah that's old news, we had a chat on Mortis.

Anakin: The only love I feel in my heart is haunted by what would happen should I let go.

It's so good to have Anakin the Poet back. No, really.

Anakin: Who are you?
    The Son (as Shmi): YOUR FATE!

Subtle.

I, too, had a good laugh when Kenobi said Anakin "will not be easy to deceive". Oh, you kidders.

Time to brush off an old meme:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anakin's taming of the Force was just a total ****. Everything in this trilogy is a total ****.

Btw, Mortis should have ended with Overlords, it's pretty much wrapped up by the end, it can definitely stand on its own, and the rest is just a rehash of the same tired crap.

0/10

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Dude wasn't it so epic the way Anakin channeled his inner Christian Bale when he yelled "ON YOUR KNEES!!!"

By the way I am planning on writing that final answer for the interview some time tomorrow.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I like Mortis. Especially Overlords. But I can understand why y'all dislike it. I just like to get lost in the mysticism and ignore some of the weird and stupid ****.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't do mysticism for some of the same reasons I didn't like poetry when I was in school.

It looks like I've got the Nightsisters arc, which I remember as awesome, next, and then this.

20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Again, reading Tomboy's thoughts on Altar, and it's like he totally stole my act, I'm not even sure what to say. Sorry for the crappy quality images.

Altar of Mortis

Tomboy nailed Witwer playing the Son up as Sidious. The Son was trying to win over Anakin, and he gives us a Sidious "my friend", even though it's totally creepy. But that makes total sense, because Anakin was totally creepy with Padme and he has a boner for Palpatine, soooooooo....good move?

Yeah, Sauron's tower. And how to get there? Follow the yellow brick road through Mordor, of course.
    [​IMG]

At this point, the obvious symbols all over the place are just driving me crazy. Here we get a balance wheel on the floor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jealous! Cuz I'm out getting mine
    Shay with the gauge and Vanilla with the nine.

I'm not sure what that has to do with this episode, but it's kinda like poetry, it rhymes. Hopefully it'll work.

The Son's dark side Yoda bit was a complete waste of time because I'm pretty sure that bite would have turned Ahsoka regardless. Still, we did get to see a boob-holed jailbait all tied up.

Fanboy mentioned this, but....

Kenobi: How do I even find the father?
    [​IMG]

Fanboy mentioned this one, too...

Son (to the Father): I HATE YOU!

Apparently for no reason other than to quote the films. Seriously, the Father seems like an okay dad. It's like they're having a conversation by playing the quote game in the Star Wars Community forum.

Daughter: I cannot interfere with the ways of the Force.

Because I represent "too much light", and apparently that means I have to sit on my ass, because the logical conclusion to detachment is to do nothing.

Kenobi gets the Ajanti dagger from The Golden Child.
    [​IMG]

Let's just have some fun with Ahsoka's turn. We have:

Ahsoka boob touch:
    [​IMG]
    Ahsoka coy crouch
    [​IMG]
    Ahsoka coy stance
    [​IMG]
    Ahsoka coy laugh
    [​IMG]
    Ahsoka "I am evul" smile
    [​IMG]
    "I'm about to do something evil" smile
    [​IMG]
    Over the shoulder evil smile
    [​IMG]
    Ahsoka having an orgasm, or faking one if you follow Meg Ryan
    [​IMG]
    And you know I never miss these, a look at the rear
    [​IMG]

But there's no sexuality here, move along. Move along.

Son: Done? I've done what is right or what is wrong, depending on your point of view.

Another great example of trivializing an otherwise sapient message of perspectives.

Ahsoka: And now, the student will kill the Master.
    Anakin: Getting ahead of yourself, aren't you Snips?

Ha. This leads to Ahsoka's out of the blue "I hate it when you call me that" and the idiotic sounding "two Jedi, finally a challenge".

And Witwer is just going full Sidious at this point. Everybody knows you never go full Sidious. Contrary to popular misconception, you CAN go full retard in Star Wars, but you cannot go full Sidious. Check it out. Ahmed Best, Jar Jar Binks, look retarded, act retarded, is retarded. Juggled booma, won the Battle of the Grassy Plains. Retarded. How many retarded war heroes do you know? Now you know at least one. But he ain't evil and he gets a happy ending in ROTJ. You know, Dave Fennoy, 'Pong Krell.' Slow to adapt, yes. Retarded, maybe. Double double lightsabers. But he earned his name by winning a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. He was a war hero, too. But he had fire in his eyes, started cackling and declaring treason. He went full Sidious and got shot in the back. Witwer went full Sidious.

While Fanboy pointed out the obvious Yoda vs Sidious rip off, I'd like to show you:

The Son's closed fist style:
    [​IMG]

vs

The Daughter's open palm style:
    [​IMG]
    Even their kung fu is symbolic! The Daughter also basically practices dance fighting.

At one point I just said to myself, "Oh hey. I'm watching a gargoyle vs a hippogriff. In Star Wars."

Dammit, Fanboy already mentioned this, but I still have to point it out:

Son: Everything has transpired exactly as I have planned.

Really? Again, are they even trying at this point?

The Son is shocking Father, and you can tell this is where Daughter is supposed to step in......but she does nothing. Again, you know, because she's full light side, and that means she can't get involved, or something.

The powers of the Father, the Son and Anakin have just been all over the place so far, but at this point that's completely obscured by the absurdity of it all.

Son: You will die.

Again, we're just watching a saga clip show.

The healing at the end is just more ****ing.

0/10

21. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Again, Fanboy and I are soul mates, we're telekinesic. I'll just do the same bit again anyway and see if works.

This reminds me of Gilbert Gottfried's roast of Hugh Hefner, when he claimed that Ice-T stole his "angry black man will rape you" act.

"He who seeks to control fate shall never find peace"

I know what they're trying to say, but you know what, **** them. This just sounds like they're saying everything is pre-determined, everyone has a destiny that they cannot hope to alter, so you just have to bend over and take it. Sorry, that's just your lot in life, so don't bother trying. Just accept everything "fate" gives you, because you don't have a choice. Just lobotomize yourself and go along with the plan until it's your time to die. Thanks for living, though.

As Fanboy mentioned, why isn't Anakin the mechanical genius fixing the ship? Oh right, it's so we can see begoggled Ahsoka. They wanted you to see it, so here it is.
    [​IMG]
    Awwwww.

Again, I'm just parroting Fanboy here:

Anakin: If I don't get the Father's blessing to leave, it'll haunt me forever.

No, it won't. You'll never show any signs of remembering this ever again. None of this matters. And what is with Anakin and the word "haunt" ? Lay off the emo.

Aaaaand the Father is burying the dagger with The Daughter. Why? He says he must kill his Son, so maybe he should hang on to the dagger. Let's just bury it with his Daughter despite it really having no significance to her, personally.

Anakin: I can help you.
    Father: The choice is no longer yours to make.

WTF? Why? The answer is it's just another rip off of a movie quote. As is his next line:

Father: Both our destinies are clouded.

References!

Qui-Gon: Do you believe you are the Chosen One?
    Anakin: How can I know?

REALLY? After all this nonsense?

Anakin: Do I leave or do I stay and kill him?
    Jinn: Neither. Look deeper, you will find another way.

OR, you could just tell him, you ******* jerk. It seems pretty important, and you definitely seem to know, ****.

Apparently this episode is about Ahsoka's goggles, which is why they're so prominent. No, really, they added this episode for this sole purpose, which is why it's ****.
    [​IMG]
    And she's ******* sleeping while she's supposed to be fixing the ship. Anyway, I think Ahsoka's goggles are the key to Mortis. At least, that's what I'm getting from the episode.

Hey Kenobi, why don't you help fix the ship, you lazy bastard. Mortis just makes everyone and everything look bad.

Look guyz da lava is da yin and da yang.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This whole trilogy is full of this ****, it's like nothing can just be what it is, it also has to be a symbol. AND IT HAS TO BE OBVIOUS. Symbolization overload. They should have spent more time on trivial things like writing instead of jamming a symbol into every shot. Or maybe they should have tossed this idea in the trash. Mortis is the Lady Gaga of Star Wars, except I can't dance to it.

And we get to the genius of the episode, Anakin Skywalker, who sees himself turn dark and all the destruction that goes along with it and decides to turn dark to stop himself from turning dark.

Father: Your destiny can change just as quickly as the love in one's heart can change.

OMG THAT'S SO PROPHETIC. It's like they've seen ROTS or something.

And then we get to the memory erase.

Father: What you have seen must be forgotten.

WHY? WHY? WHY? Why doesn't someone just tell Anakin about self-fulfilling prophecies, *** DAMMIT. Why is everyone purposely withholding vital information from the *** damn Chosen One? Do they want him to fail? Everyone can see how much he's struggling, help the guy out already. Can I get a "always in motion the future is" from Yoda already? I guess he's saving that one.

Father: My Son broke the laws of time and showed you what you should never have seen.

If we carry that out logically, so do the Jedi every time they have a vision of the future. What's the difference?

Christian Taylor has no idea what the **** is going on in his own episodes.

Btw, memory erase....what a great way to solve the problem of dark side Anakin. It's so nuanced and personal, like how Anakin turns from the dark side in ROTJ. It's not at all lazy.

Father (to Son): I always knew there was good in you.

What an insult to the saga.

Anakin sees the Father disappear, which again trivializes Ben's trick in ANH.

0/10

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You just summed up in one paragraph everything I hate about this idiotic arc and the lame-ass "Chosen One prophecy" in the prequels.

Yeah, no ****.

Your whole review was spot on but those two paragraphs really stood out.

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Ashley's voice is super annoying.

24. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    CT-867-5309 I didn't read any of the stuff you wrote, but I did see the large prominent screencaps of Ahsoka's goggles you posted and my spirits soared! Thank you!

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nightsisters:

Nice opening. Even Ventress' ship is cool.

Damn, Sidious...feeling threatened by the woman, are you? ;).

Anakin and Obi-Wan: "Looks like I'm her favorite." "Only the droids follow me." LOL, love it.

Dooku, you cowardly ***hole. Poor Asajj, she didn't see that coming.

"You're not looking well." "She never does." Um, boys? She's fighting you wearing a long dress. And up until the last minute...winning. Look at that double Force choke.

And she gets away, and hot ****ing damn, choking three bounty hunters at once, while injured. =D=

Dathomir, the fog and all that red. I liked the scenery here.

Mother Talzin welcoming Ventress. And...I had to stop. The flashbacks made me too sad. This is one reason I like Ventress so much. I love what a tough badass she is, and I want to give her a hug...and I can have both of those thoughts in the same minute.

Ventress and two invisible Nightsisters vs Dooku...in bed. And he gets his ass kicked until he pulls out the old lightning.

And wow, does Mother Talzin have him nailed. He wants a new apprentice alright.

Easy 10/10. This was epic, no criticisms whatsoever.