main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why didn't Anakin bring Padme back from the dead?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 25, 2013.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    That has no relevance in the final film. It was never even hinted at.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    True. Neither did Plagueis.

According to Palpatine, Plagueis could keep the ones he cared about from dying. Not ressurrecting people.

3. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Sidious knew how to apply Plagueis's power to a certain extent, as evident by preserving Anakin's life on the trip to Coruscant, but he definitely couldn't master it to the level of resurrecting the dead by that point.

Plagueis killed and resurrected Darth Venamis, so I think Plagueis could definitely bring a dead Padme back to life.

The novelization mentioned it.

Well, it did save Anakin's life.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Not sure if Venamis agrees with you.:D

Yeah, his "Live Anakin, Live" was some serious Sith sorcery, wasn't it.:p

Klingon Padawan likes this.
  5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It's not a plot hole in the film. It's a plot hole caused by the EU. In the film itself, there is no contradiction or conflict. That's the point I'm trying to make here.

We don't all agree about whether or not Palpatine mastered the power or not. The only thing we know from the movie is that Palpatine has been lying to Anakin. The nature of the lie isn't fully known.

He may know the power and refuses to share it. The power may not even exist. He tempts Anakin. And he is mixing lies with the truth. As an audience, we are seeing this through Anakin's perspective, we don't fully know the nature of the lie anymore than he could. That's the point. I do agree that the film implies that Palpatine is using the power to keep Anakin alive after suffering is injuries in the Kenobi duel.

It's possible that Palpatine has fully mastered the power. Remember, he doesn' tell Anakin they have to master it. He tells him they have to discover it. He's lying about something

It's the EU that causes the logic problems, not the film itself.

In the film, his saying that Plagueis teaching the apprentice everything he knew, and later saying that they must work to discover the secret is not by itself a plothole. It simply shows us how Palpatine lied and manipulated Anakin.

darth ladnar and FRAGWAGON like this.
  6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Well, I'm not counting the EU. ;)

If he could ressurrect people, then Padmé's death wouldn't be a problem. Vader didn't seem to pursue The Secret™ after her death, which only corroborates the idea that Plagueis could avoid people from dying, but couldn't ressurrect them.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If the intent was clear- would we even be having these arguments?

8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The answer to that question will get me in trouble.

Chainmail_Jedi likes this.
  9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Alexrd Plagueis killed Venamis.

Then he revived the Bith.

Over and over and over... while Sidious sat there, in stunned silence.

Best part? That wasn't even the most impressive thing that Plagueis could do...
    The Muun learned how to heal his own damaged tissue.

Just think: if Vader could regenerate his arms and legs? Oh my...

10. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    What was that quote you posted in another thread? I remember you posted a quote from the Rise and Fall of Darth Vader novel, where Palpatine said that he had to exaggerate his abilities to save Padme, in order to turn Anakin to the darkside. I forgot where that thread was, so can you please post that quote here? Thanks.

Why would answering his question get you in trouble?

Exactly. Plagueis could bring the dead back to life, with the darkside. He had the power of resurrection.

Even if Palpatine couldn't save Padme, Plagueis could certainly do it. Anyway, what exactly would saving Padme have entailed? Putting more midichlorians into her? Healing her the same way Plagueis healed himself?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It was page 1 of this thread:

12. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    I mean the other quote where it mentioned Palpatine having to exaggerate his powers as a way to turn Anakin because of his attachment to Padme. I think it was in The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, but it was a different quote.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup- I've found it and fixed my post.

14. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks.

But in a different thread, you posted the entirety, or an entire paragraph that quote was a part of. I want to know the full quote because it helps me understand Palpatine's knowledge on Plagueis's power better.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Found it:

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm not saying he didn't do that in the EU. I was merely talking from a movie-only POV.

17. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    The novelization mentioned it.

It was even hinted slightly in the movie when Palpatine waved his hands over Anakin. It seemed like he was doing some darkside power on him.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Only skimmed the thread, but in answer to the title question:

Because that would be creepy as hell, even for someone desperate to keep the ones he loved from dying.

Maybe Anakin saw the Stephen King flick Pet Sematary and knew.

darth ladnar likes this.
  19. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    I watched that movie a while ago, and you're right, it was creepy. However, there's a difference between bringing Padme back from the dead and what happened in that Stephen King movie. Those resurrected pets were demonic beings possessing the bodies of dead pets. If you bring Padme back to life, it'll still be her.

Also, if Padme was alive, it's possible that she could've redeemed Anakin. She would join the rebels, and at one point or another, Vader would betray Palpatine to protect her, like he did with Luke.

That's why Palpatine didn't bring her back-she would be a threat to him. He didn't really care about saving her in the first place, she was just leverage to make Anakin join him.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I disagree, unless she came back as a Force ghost. She couldn't come back in her body and still be the same.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No sound, no power.;)

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I agree that it's reasonable to say that the scene where he is standing over an injured Anakin could be interpreted as him using his power to help Anakin.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Sidious took Vader aside and said "Lord Vader, sometimes, dead is better!"

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine said that he didn't achieve the power.

But, as has already been stated, it is only an assumption that "he" in "everything he knew" refers to Plagueis. It could also refer to the apprentice.

No, I outlined a scenario in which none of it was a lie. You may choose to reject that scenario, but it's still a way that it all makes sense.

darth ladnar and ILNP like this.
  25. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    That's a matter of interpretation. All you really see in that scene is Palpatine slowly lowering his hand to Anakin, and then withdrawing his hand. I can see interpretations for--
    (a) some use of a Dark Side power to stabilise Anakin;
    (b) a curiously grotesque display of affection for Anakin, similar to how one caresses a loved one when they're badly hurt; or
    (c) a certain level of curiosity and then revulsion by Palpatine, similar to how when you were a kid and you came across a dead animal, your instinct is to touch it and then, a second later, to pull back your hand: "ewww, gross!"

On the "regeneration of limbs" thing -- it's EU, but the Shadows of the Empire novel had one lovely moment where Vader does in fact succeed at self-healing a little. He focuses his hate, his rage at the injustice of his condition, channels it into the Force -- and his damaged lungs begin to heal, begin to knit themselves again. The problem being that when he then feels elation at this circumstance, the healing collapses - "joy drained power from the Dark Side as effectively as hate fuelled it," I think is the line.