main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ID4: Resurgence kicks the tires and lights the fires in 2016 (ID4 3 to follow?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    the moon

Juliet316 and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  2. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Get off my Plane?

DarthMak likes this.
  3. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    That hilarious! And once there done with those 2 movies, we could get a reboot called ID4 begins! Too bad its not ID4 returns which is the second movie!:p

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Emmerich Talks ID4 Sequels.

Emmerich says the story picks up twenty years after the original, after the distress call sent by the first wave of aliens finally brings reinforcements to Earth.

Bill Pullman will return as former President Whitmore, but the main thrust will shift to the stepson of Will Smith's Captain Steven Hiller character and several other younger leads.

"The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back, and they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that's 20 or 25 years."

"It's a changed world. It's like parallel history. [Humans] have harnessed all this alien technology. We don't know how to duplicate it because it's organically-grown technology, but we know how to take an anti-gravity device and put it in a human airplane.

The first sequel ends on a little success, but only enough to give the humans hope. And then in the second one they free themselves again [from the aliens]."

You know, with the talk of wormholes, I can't help but be reminded of the theory that ID4 probably started, conceptually, as a sequel to Stargate...

(and that 10,000 BC is a prequel ;))

Also, organic tech? The suits, yeah, sure, but all of the craft, from the City Destroyers to the Attackers to the Mothership (and, presumably, the Invaders) were clearly not organic tech- not to mention it makes the whole Powerbook virus upload even more implausible...

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    This would be why I didn't watch him play the President NBC's 1600 Penn comedy. Knowing the sequels were in the works, I wanted to keep that image of President Whitmore in my head, and from what I saw from the ads, Pullman's 1600 President is completely different (read: incompetent) from Whitmore.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How does this make sense?

Twenty five years later Will Smith is retired and his son is the hero, but we've had exactly the same "President" of the US all this time?

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He's an ex president.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It says "former President Whitmore".

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Or....President for Life.

I mean, George Washington was offered the title of King after the Revolution....and that was just fighting the British.

President fights aliens? That's like British times one hundred million.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Until the current one and all the cabinet and congress are nuked by the aliens. Then its' "Hello Mr. President" o_O

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, that article says former president. Not that I take the article as fact

12. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Do-ro'ick Vong Pratte!

13. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't anyone have any missiles left?!?!?!?!?

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    DarthTunick likes this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hopefully it will be good as the first one

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Excellent!

But, damn, will it have really been nineteen years since the first came out? 1996 was really like my second year as a film fanatic (and '95 was kinda just a warm-up year) and ID4 was the crown of that year- and it doesn't feel like it was all that long ago.

Maybe it's just that there were a few years inbetween that weren't particularly memorable, thus making the span seem much shorter than it actually was in memory...

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Fixed.

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Never understood how the first movie could be abbreviated "ID4". The 4 serves no function but to confuse.

Maybe the sequel will be ID42 -- a nice (if unintentional) nod to Doug Adams.

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I believe that was one of the first movies (I think Terminator 2 was the first) to feature that idiotic abbreviation bullcrap for publicity "catchphrasy" purposes. It's by far one of the worst offenders since the abbreviation made and still makes no sense whatsoever other than to reduce a five phrase long name to just three phrases. However, I don't hold that movie any esteem so the stupid abbreviation fits it like a tee. :p

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's kinda smart actually- not only does it give them a simple logo abbreviation that can be copyrighted ;and used in marketing and merchandise) but now the release date is "in the title" (granted they ended up opening it up 2 days early).

I assume the sequel title isn't going to use an additional numeral, just a subtitle like ID4: Second Wave or some such.

22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me ask you this: does "CD25" strike you as a reasonable abbreviation for a movie called "Christmas Day"? Or (you see where I'm going with this) "HD31" for a new Halloween movie? How 'bout "VD14" for a Mila Kunis rom-com? If you think these are reasonable abbrev's, I will say phooey to you good sir. [face_shame_on_you]

That's... pretty good, actually. I mean the "Second Wave" subtitle -- not the "ID4" part, which remains even dumber than the movie's dialogue. :D

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Of the ones you listed, none would work because people don't say "Halloween Day" they say "Halloween" (and HN for Halloween Night would sound like a news or shopping channel), are used to "Xmas" as an abbreviation for Christmas and "VD" has different connotations ;).

The bottom line is "ID4" looks and sounds better than just "ID", and, unlike "ID" and "Independence Day", can be trademarked.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    VD14 sounds like the latest super-virus.

Juliet316 and DarthTunick like this.
  25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I wonder if the alien ships will be better protected against laptops/Microsoft software.