main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Anakin's ghost?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Vader's Chest Plate, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Obviously this is what he would have said if the petulant Vader hadn't then struck him down.....just shows you should always let people finish speaking.

Infact that whole conversation doesn't fit after seeing RotS.

The following would be better;
    DV: "You tried to kill me and left me on planet full of molten hot Magma you s-- of a b----"
    OK: "Errrrm"
    DV: "Now I am the master (well not in a Sith way, but best not tell him that)"
    OK: "Only a master of evil"
    DV: " (at least he doesn't know i'm NOT the master)What've you been doing for the past 19 years?"
    OK: "Not much just hiding (can't mention Tatooine or his son really), if you strike me down i'll become more powerful than you can imagine!"
    DV: "How much power do you think i can imagine, we're on a space station the size of a small moon that's pretty powerful infact we just destroyed Alderaan, the distubance in the force it caused was pretty powerful"

Fight commences, Vader strikes down Obi-Wan and his body vanishes. Vader looks puzzled.

Later as they are waiting for the Death Star to reach Yavin IV, Vader starts thinking what happened to his body, wonder if he became a ghost? How'd he do that? I'll build a meditation chamber and think about it!!

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Enough with this back and forth bickering and demands for 'proof'. Both of you.

3. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    What I don't get is, why is Anakin's ghost at the end of ROTJ Hayden Christensen and not the original old Anakin?

I understand why GL put HC in but it makes no sense to me. Can the Jedi choose which age to project? Why is Obi-Wan still an old man but Anakin young?

How cut would the original guy feel.

With regards to learning how to become force ghosts I just assumed it was something that happened to good Jedi when they died peacefully or semi-peacefully. Clearly that isn't the case but when Vader died maybe Obi-Wan and Yoda intervened when his spirit was on its way to 'heaven' and gave him the chance to become a force ghost based on his self sacrifice to save Luke (and Leia) and also for killing The Emperor.

It's not something I've really dwelt on. It's Star Wars. Strange **** happen.

4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It makes no sense whatsoever.

5. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Which part? Becoming a force ghost or the Anakin force ghost changing?

6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The change from Old Anakin to young Anakin

7. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Is it not to resemble the time when he was a Jedi?

8. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    OK people, the Hayden vs Shaw controversy has its own thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-new-official-hayden-vs-shaw-thread.30794015/

This one, however, is about how the in-universe character became a Force Ghost at all, not the debate over his appearance.
    I wouldn't normally stop discussion from heading off onto such an obvious tangent, but it's one of the most heated SW topics there is (62 pages & counting - that's the NEW Hayden vs Shaw thread).

Death T likes this.
  9. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I always assumed Anakin was allowed to become a force ghost because of his redemption. It goes back to Anakin's metaphorical demise as described by Obi-wan in A New Hope. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the force and murdered Anakin. In Return of the Jedi, Anakin is redeemed--and Vader is subsequently killed. Therefore, Anakin survives and is allowed to carry on as a force ghost with Yoda and Obi-wan.

I'm just sharing my observations from watching the movie at face value. I suppose I'm willing to accept any answers offered by Lucas and/or the EU, but they probably superseded the above explanation (or perhaps a similar reason). Like so many people said earlier, Lucas seems to make things up as he goes along.

As for the Hayden/Shaw thing--the reasoning behind the change is pretty easy to grasp. It goes back to Anakin's metaphorical demise that I spoke about earlier. Anakin was 'killed by Vader when he went to the dark side, fought Obi-wan, and got all burnt up. His transformation was both physical and spiritual. From Jedi to Sith. When Anakin dies after being redeemed, his force ghost resembles his form and persona pre-Vader. Also, perhaps Shaw was also intended to represent pre-Vader--rather than just being a cleaner and more presentable good guy Anakin that was the same age he was when he died. If Shaw is meant to be pre-Vader, then Lucas inserted Hayden to show the pre-Vader Anakin that we know from the prequel trilogy for both purposes of original intent and consistency.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Hayden vs. Shaw or any of that. Just giving my two cents on why Lucas might have made the change other than "LOL I LOVE EDITING STUFF".

lbr789 likes this.
  10. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    GL explains it in an interview that was on here earlier, Anakin returned to the form of who he was before he turned to evil. I'm guessing that because he was so deeply connected to the Force (being the Chosen One and all) he naturally had the talent of Force Ghosting and didn't really need to learn it.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the DVD commentary, Lucas addresses both topics; he says that ( paraphrased ) "Anakin returned to the form of who he was before he turned to evil", but also makes clear that his ghosting was due to the assistance of Yoda and Obi-Wan.

12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    We're still talking about that, I thought we were told by the moderator not to on this thread?

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually:

So we're still on topic.

14. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Yep. Just didn't want the Hayden vs Shaw debate taking over, which it easily could.

It's inevitable that it'll get mentioned, much as the occasional EU reference crops up in movie discussions - it's no biggie as long as it doesn't get out of control.

This is somewhat reminiscent of the rough draft of ROTJ:

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/revenge-of-the-jedi-revised-rough-draft/

The difference, of course, is that the three old Jedi in the rough draft don't become Force Ghosts, they come back as flesh & blood at the end.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    so, are we allowed to discuss it or not? I don't get it at all.

If I respond to that post that was made after you told us not to discuss it here, and say that Anakin wasn't evil when he killed the emperor, is that wrong? He died a redeemed man, and he tells Luke this.

Either we're discussing it or we're not. This all looks very subjective to me.

16. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Relax, that's fine. As I've already mentioned, however, there is a specific thread for the Hayden vs Shaw debate/controversy, which I don't want dominating this thread.