main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Warp Power's Chicago Pile Moment May Be Upon Us

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Still got more hair than Shatner.

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Is it even feasable for a terrestrial based sociaty to go straight to interstellar? You can practice life at sea in a local lake or bay, and the real ocean can still kick your backside.

Would not interstellar travel eventually natural develop after centuries if not millenia inter planetary civilization, it is kinda crazy to plan for interstellar craft when even build a base, let alone settle the moon, let alone all the other planets and moons.

One would expect the solutions to micro meteriods and steller radiation will develop after we have to regularly start dealing with micrometeriods and stellar radiation. Also the all important job of building an industrial base in space.

Someone once said the problem with nasa is that it is a organization for engineers by engineers, I can start seeing why that is a problem.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Deflector tech? In fact such a thing has been successfully tested on tanks but has yet to be placed on the battelfield to my knowledge. It was just a very powerful charged field done over a decade ago.

The only reason I mentioned a magnetic field comes from older ideas concerning magentic ramscoops that could project a magnetic cone ahead of them many thousands of miles long and wide. The problem (among many) was that matetr tended to collect within and it would make a great break and shiled at high speeds.

The onyl thing that got "out there" with Rama was that Clarke threw in a space drive for propulson. Otherwise a gigantic rotating cyclinder is nothing new or impossible just very expensive.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Warp speed always has that annoying tendency to randomly send a crew's ship to hell and back.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the senate?

[​IMG]

pictured: a senate moderator

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That's not a "principle." Just a fact that becomes an increasingly asinine assertion the more broadly it is applied. No individual component of immortality is "physically impossible" either. Do you mean to tell me that one day humans will never die?

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    so brave

9. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    Where have you been? People have been predicting negligible senescence within the century.

Frankly your skepticism would seem more compelling if it wasn't so constant and monotone about basically everything.

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I only regret that neither of s will be alive to laugh at the ridiculousness of that remark.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    really, cause by brain opperates on what? 20watts and has never overheated. Not so with the, endless computers i have gone through. I don't put much stock in the singularity, especially our longest lasting recording devices have been for the past 10,000 years to today a chisle and a flat rock.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    WE WON'T NEED GIFS WHERE WE'RE GOING

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Boyish dreams lifted from B sci-fi movies=Everything

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Liberate te ex senātus"!

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    From the people who think warp power is about to be discovered:

[​IMG]

17. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    so hang on, do we have warp drive yet or not?

Healer_Leona likes this.
  18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Has anyone mentioned the idea that if we really do manage to get a real warp drive going (which I think will happen), we'll be sending out a signature to any intelligent life out there more advanced than us? This is something that happens in Trek, of course, but I think it's a pretty reasonable concept.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    We do, if by warp you mean VLM's and EBB's views of physics.

20. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    1. I wasn't aware that I had expressed views on physics
    2. When you wrote that, did you snap your fingers and triangulate your head, then go "Mhhhhmmmmm" like a sassy black woman?

That would be a better comeback if it was remotely true and/or expressive of self-awareness.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  21. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    the "carefull of the attention you call down on yourself" I feel that, but its going to be a long while till anyone is able to build one. Though I would prefer if nasa would concentrate on a space elevator, which would be more inline with short term achievable goals.

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    In which today, EBB learns that the topic of FTL does indeed involve physics. See, you're learning.

23. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    I never went into FTL travel...You are strawmanning me brah.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    ....in which EBB learns that warp travel is a form of FTL.

The journey of learning continues for our young laymen! Next time, EBB tackles quantum chromodynamics. Will he succeed? Find out in our next episode.

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    ASTEROID SHIELD, PEOPLE!! HAVE WE FORGOTTEN RUSSIA ALREADY?! DO YOU HAVE THE ATTENTION SPAN OF A GNAT?!

Darth_Invidious likes this.