main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Jedi_Lover: I was the one sticking up for H/L, L/M, etc. and those devoted to reading and writing for them. So, I'm not sure what the problem is?

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Of course it is equally valid! There are no invalid peeves.

I like the discussion we sometimes get going as regards peeves, but I also think it's counterproductive to forget they are peeves - this should be a safe place to air them. And some peeves are outright silly and childish (I'm talking mine) but you know, if certain things peeve me, they peeve me. Even if silly. Or childish.

A sort of example: I like a well done time travel, resurrection, etc. type of story. I like stories that have Qui-Gon survive, train Anakin, or whatever. But when these stories send Obi-Wan back into the past, or add a brother/sister for Anakin, Qui-Gon trains Anakin I'm not terribly impressed when after all this is set up, the events follow canon events except certain activities/dialogue is given to another character. I don't see the point in following canon with these kind of changes. A resurrected Obi-Wan with all his memories should avoid some of those events, change others, prevent yet others.

Qui-Gon is not going to train Anakin the same, have Geonosis the same, the Tusken massacre the same, the betrayal of the Jedi the same.

What's the point?

But if folks want to write them and others want to read them, who am I to say they should not?

Or stories that take canon characters and set them in a totally different setting - high school, medieval times - yet I sometimes have a guilty pleasure in reading them when they're well done. Some are. Some are not. Why have a Jedi "Chosen One" suddenly the prince somewhere looking for love - why not make that an original story?

Eh, one of my peeves.

FARK2005 likes this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    The problem is I am too lazy to edit out your comment. I was referring to the comment that we shouldn't comment on other people's pet peeves.

If only one person blamed the 'shippers for their poor fanfic readership I probably wouldn't have noticed, but it seems like a whole lot of people blame 'shipper cliques for not having the stories they want to read or people not reviewing their stories or for writing too many stories or monopolizing the boards. If the romance shippers all disappeared I doubt many people would see an increase in readership or reviews. As it was said above...people read what they want to read.

It just seems to me that an underlying theme to the thread is blaming or complaining about a certain group of people. That is fine, but I (as a member of that group) should feel free to say my pet peeve is people blaming that group for the lack of Mace Windu stories or action packed snuff stories.

I think this thread is a safe place to air their pet peeves. It's not like I am name calling.

Another of my pet peeves are stories where Wookiee is spelled Wookie and Anakin is spelled Anikin. What I think would be wrong is saying, "Those Wookie and Anikin writers monopolize the boards and they are the reason I am not getting reviews for my Palpatine/Padme story".

At that point I would expect a Wookie Anikin writer to say, "Don't blame me!"

4. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Okay, I must ask - what is this theory and where can I read about it?? [face_hypnotized]

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    It was in the Literature's Sex in the EU thread that is probably locked now. That thread went on for years. I wouldn't know where it was buried in the hundreds of pages. McEwok went from book to book and teased out weird sentences in the profics that did sound really, really odd. Odd enough that I wondered, "Why the hell did the author word it that way." There were sentences where Mara is admiring Anakin's looks or thinking weird stuff. I don't remember exactly what was said, but he scrutinized every page and put up some compelling arguments that Anakin knocked up Mara. And now he's a published SW co-author. o_O Who knew.

Admiral Volshe and pronker like this.
  6. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    bwahahahah this made my day

7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Don't forget the "Mara Jade is Obi-Wan and Siri's love child" part of that thread as well. Good times.

pronker likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I wouldn't mind finding out that is true. It would be just as believable as finding out the Princess you saved is really your sister and the Sith Lord trying to kill you is your father.

I would like to think that Obi-Wan had a child. Of course it would be sad to think that child was raised by Palpatine. But it would be nice to think Darth Vader purposely saved baby Mara because he knew it was the daughter of his old Master...and despite his rage at Obi-Wan over the whole 'cutting his legs off and leaving him to die in lava' fiasco...he still had some brotherly feelings for the man who practically raised him since he was ten years old. And this lingering brotherly love stayed his hand when it came to killing Mara and he instead brought the baby to Palpatine and convinced him to raise the child as a hand.

Although with Mara now officially one or two years younger than Luke I don't know if the timeline works.

pronker likes this.
  9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    The timeline doesn't work - Siri died too many years early for that. But I love the bunny and though I'm a bit "anal" about not tweaking known timelines...I've been toying with a Mara son of Obi-Wan story for years without quite getting it from bunny to story.

I've also toyed with the idea of a Obi-Wan/Asajj child, though not a "love child" as some might now currently think. It would be either a discarded sub-sub-plot of one of my earlier stories based very loosely on the Obsession comic or something newer. The trickiest part is setting up Asajj correctly - I don't think she particularly likes men sexually so it would have to be a domination conception or I'd have to tweak her characterization, and the first one is a bit out there for this board.

Nor do I think she'd like being pregnant so unless she had a surrogate mother - but then at least in our world that's not a pregnancy transfer from one woman to another. On the other hand...if Dooku had some genetic material and had her impregnated against her will - ideas, ideas, ideas but yet no story and I wouldn't want to get slimy. Or explicit.

(BTW feel free to chime in or PM if you've ideas and would like to see me pursue this.)

pronker likes this.
  10. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I have a group of fics where Satine was Mara's mother. But seeing that Satine is dead ( or not ) I guess if I wanted to continue that path I could say that Palpatine created Mara or she's Bo-Katan's daughter.

I did the age gap by having Obi-Wan temporarily leave Tatooine a year into his exile to avoid being found and stay just long enough for the searchers to leave. Obi-Wan and Satine enjoyed each other's company a little too much. Obi-Wan never knew that he had a child because Satine didn't know when he left that she was expecting and he didn't leave a number or address so she could reach him.

It bothers me as well when people misspell character names like Anakin, Obi-Wan and a few others.

pronker likes this.
  11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Just like in RL, paternity issues are fascinating. I heartily encourage any and all bunnies of this variety, being a fond follower of General Hospital in its day.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Well RL issues that plague us have to plague the GFFA. ;)

On a random note: does anyone know when the coding error will be resolved?

13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Nope - Grimby and LAJFett are noncompliant with various questions about 'state of the move' things - I am assuming it's a giant effort on both IGN and Xenforo's parts. Must be a big headache. I'm pretty happy with the look of the site, after playing around with the various functions, but yeah, I miss the stories. Looking them up on Wayback is an iffy proposition.

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    While hitting the Random Page link and looking for things to edit, I came across a bit of a peeve of mine:

Chapter One: The Peeve
    A "chapter" that is three sentences long.

Chapter Two: The Explanation
    Granted, we've had a discussion on the length of chapters, but there does come a time when a chapter is too short. A paragraph or three lines of dialogue that when taken completely out of context do not have a definitive beginning, middle, or end does not, in my opinion, qualify as a chapter. It's as if the author wrote a story and just arbitrarily dropped "chapter" headings in random places

Chapter Three: Continuing that Thought
    with no actual thought on how a chapter should be constructed.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Probably never since it really is only a big problem for fanfic and roleplaying people and when I was over at the communications forum there actually appeared to be a dislike for our kind. But that is just my impression from the snarky comments that were made about fanfic writers.

16. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007

I bet they lurk here every so often.

But if they are doing it on purpose it isn't fair to everyone. Writers as well as readers.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Lady_Misty I dont think it is on purpose...it's just not a priority.

18. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    New signature! Let the folks know; they aren't mindreaders.

TrakNar, J_Girl and Lady_Misty like this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    pronker what are you talking about?

20. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I'm thinking about putting something in signatures - just to get attention. It's a small step.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Unless you are posting over at the JCC, Communications or other forums they won't see it. If you look at the communications forum you will see that fanfic writers have been on them continuously. I was told the guy that is tasked to fix the problem is a volunteer with a real life outside TFN...so don't hold your breath. It just isn't a priority when we have a site that had been crashing over the huge influx of people that showed up after the EP7 announcement.

My signature has the solution to the problem. I also post my stories over at FFN and people can read non-truncated versions of the story there. Despite the trolls I would highly recommend posting your stories in both sites. If one goes down you have your stories at another site. You may want to use Google documents also when writing your stories. It syncs automatically with your other computers. So you can be working on your laptop and then go home and get on your desktop and the story you wrote earlier is there. I also have carbonite on all my computers and it has helped since my laptop likes to crash every few months.

22. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I keep everything on two different flash drives. I learned a long time ago that it is safer to have multiple backups for these things. Posting on FFN is also a good idea, as it allows you to both get more opinions on your work, and have a place where they can be used as a backup for here.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Flash drives are great if you don't have teenagers in the house that lose their flash drive for school and decide your flash drive will do in a pinch and then they lose it. o_O

24. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Ouch :p

I keep mine very secure. Though one of them needs replacing soon since it is being held together by tape :p

25. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I would be careful trusting Google docs and Carbonite with anything. While they are certainly convenient, they are not as safe as they would have you believe.For fanfic, it's fine, but with identity theft and hackers making it the new frontier, I'm more of the buy a separate hard drive and back up there kind of person. I have two and I rotate in case one gets infected files on it. You can schedule it and tell it to keep several copies at once which is awesome. I am good friends with a couple of computer nerds that deal with internet security for a living and they were the ones that warned me. Obviously, everyone makes their own choices, but after AOL single-handedly took down and destroyed one my favorite high-end laptop 8 years ago and now all you hear about is how they new hackers lie in wait watching you on your computer and stealing your passwords... well, I'm believing the guys who spend their days guarding against the nightmare.