main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Ah ok. Well I hope you arent comparing my liking Golden to my stance on Hitler :p

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I don't even know what your stance on Hitler is

3. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I was kidding...nm.

Anyway, I guess I feel there is always room for improvement. I'm not writing her off just yet.

4. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I hope you're right. If this series is decent I will be very pleasantly surprised.

5. S1thari

S1thari Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 13, 2008
    Exactly. I don't need to recall that she's only written 3 books to know that her prose and style just aren't... well, legible. And this is BEFORE all the typos and errors that litter her books, not to mention the fanfic-quality sentence structure and severe lack of flow. It's downright embarrassing, and it worries me. Is this where the future of the SW EU is headed? I didn't even read her 3rd FOTJ book, and I got a full refund for OMEN and whatever the second book was called. I won't read this one, either. I'd rather read a summary of the book on this forum, or on some random website than have to endure that wince-inducing prose one more time.

Harsh, I know. I don't say this to bash her personally, I just want DelRey to grasp the extent of their failure in regards to FOTJ.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  6. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I agree that there's a lot of Jaina's life that could be explored. I think my vote would actually go to a Jaina & Zekk buddy cop story set before DNT, a straight-up adventure story where Jaina gets to display some real, blunt, heroism. Not galaxy-saving but...world-saving level stuff. An investigation that starts out small and escalates.

That said, what's exciting about this series is that it's the flagpole trilogy going forward. I honestly expected them to come out and announce Ben Skywalker's Big Protagonist Debut. That's why I'm so attached to it. Opinion on Golden may differ but I don't think she's a franchise-killer or a character-killer. Cancelling this series will do Jaina's character more harm than having her star in the next big series even if it gets less than stellar reviews. The next author can always take a different approach, but by then she'll be more solidified as a go-to protagonist. At least, based on the way things have worked out so far under Del Rey. They seem to change tone rather than protagonist when faced with audience dissatisfaction.

Oh, sweetheart, no.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Godwinning it up.

Grey1 likes this.
  8. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Man, Golden would have to be one historically bad author for me to compare her to Hitler. Like, Hitler bad.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The only author I can think of that would even remotely compare (and of course, no matter how bad you are, you don't exactly get up there with genocide) is Robert Stanek. Very fun google if you've never heard of him. Horrible author and superfraud.

10. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I go against the trend, then, and announce that I like Golden. She wrote a good Luke and that's all I care for, thank you very much. ;) And I think she deserves a chance with a SW story on her own - not only as part of a collaboration team as FOTJ was.

As for typos - good greif, that's what editors are for! Also, they should be the ones to check if a character's eyes are black or blue or something third.

11. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Instant classic.

12. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Lol at people thinking I was comparing Golden to Hitler . . .

completely missing the point

13. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I see your point....though the way it came out didn't sound good lol

14. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm looking forward to SOTJ on story alone. I'm all the more curious as to what'll happen now.

Do I think Golden sucks? I don't care all that much. Maybe part of the difficulty in FOTJ was trying to balance her stories with the likes of Denning and Allston. Maybe having a series all to herself can do good.

Because she has written good stuff in the past. I like her Starcraft Dark Templar trilogy novels.

kataja likes this.
  15. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Lol i know, maybe should have used a different example.
    People tend not to actually read things fully, or lack reading comprehension skills in general, and they see the word "Hitler" in the same sentence as "Golden" come out with the most ridiculous conclusions.

For those who don't get it point was:
    - There are always people with differing opinions
    - There are a lot people who think/thought that Hitler was fantastic leader, great person, even though I, personally don't think so.
    - Similarly, there are probably people who think Golden is good author, even though I, personally don't think so.
    - I am not trying to insinuate that Golden is evil or murders jews . . . obviously

16. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I agree with this. I liked Golden's entries, and Allies and Ascension were two of my favorite Fate of the Jedi entries, though the latter mainly because I was a huge Ben/Vestara shipper, and they finally got together. But I didn't think she was too bad, and Allies I felt was really solid a novel.

kataja likes this.
  17. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I agree that there's a lot of Jaina's life that could be explored. I think my vote would actually go to a Jaina & Zekk buddy cop story set before DNT, a straight-up adventure story where Jaina gets to display some real, blunt, heroism. Not galaxy-saving but...world-saving level stuff. An investigation that starts out small and escalates.
    .[/quote]

Yeah, I'd actually like a Jaina trilogy that focuses on Jaina. My only fear about the series (besides that I'm honestly not a fan of Golden) is that it will be Jaina but against a massive galaxy-wide backdrop where the star of the story is almost incidental. I want the series to be about Jaina in the way...I guess I, JEDI might be a good example? IIRC, that was pretty much focuses on Corran (to the point of being 1st person), but really, just the idea of staying focused on Jaina and maybe exploring what being the Sword of the Jedi means would be awesome.

18. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I loved Allies, the end of the book was just amazing. Omen is pretty good also. Still have yet to read Ascension.

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Me too. You will enjoy Ascension.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I liked Jaina a lot in Allies, good mix of her skills as a Jedi. I think Golden will do well with a book devoted almost entirely to Jaina.

JediMatteus likes this.
  21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    If nothing else, Golden seems to do pretty well with female characters. So i think it will be a solid series

kataja likes this.
  22. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Until the end, when the purposeful dis-mantleing of Vestara's foray to the light side is forcibly begun and telegraphed.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah i did hate that. That Vestara went back on the light side so easily. Yeah i understand that she could have gone both ways, but it upset me.

24. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    you mean back to the dark side?

25. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    FatSmel, buddy, we understood you fine.

We didn't think you were literally saying Golden's writing was equivalent to murdering Jews. We just thought you were using a ridiculously overblown analogy involving Hitler to make the very simple point that popular opinion can be in favour of bad stuff.

Thus, we mocked you.

Next time, maybe, try comparing the situation to the commercial success of canned pop music.

Chewbacca89, JackG, Zorrixor and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.