main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Very well said sir.

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah, you really can't just say, "Oh, Chewie wasn't there." He got hit by a frickin moon.

3. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Ill be extremely surprised if Chewy isn't in E7. I remember someone posted (in a different thread) that Lucas is staunchly adverse to a main characters death being 'off screen'.

4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    There isn't EU in the comics because they decided to seperate the continuities right off the bat. With Star Wars it would involve changing the status quo and making the continuities seperate, but Marvel has shown you can have multi. continuities going at once and it works just fine.

There isn't any reason they can't have the movies be 1 thing, continue the novel series (Aimed at older, more mature readers) continue on as they are now, AND introduce a cartoon series with tie in books and comics that cover the same time period but tell different stories aimed at a younger audience.

5. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Reading this thread is a bit like watching Groundhog Day. I think it repeats itself once every 34.76 pages.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah this is getting very repetitive.

7. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I can think of a reason. People read EU because it relates to the SW films. Once its stops doing that, sales will decline. This is inherently different than Marvel comics.

Disney will only want to publish a certain amount of novels and comics, it would make much more financial sense to make them related to the ST, not the old EU. Disney wouldn't even continue TCW, why would they keep up the old EU, which I'm assuming reaches a smaller audience than TCW?

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Really, I think it repeats itself more quickly then that, worse some people reply the exact same thing to everyone who disagrees with them. I swear I lol every time I hear "you missed the point" or "you just dont understand _______"... its like listening to pundents in a political debate making a huge bloody point that their one sacred idea was simply disagreed with and therefore the other person is a fool. [face_laugh]

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  9. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    So wait, what'd we decide... is EU canon?

[face_mischief]

run_luke_run and Ryus like this.
  10. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Maybe, maybe not. Clearly with Marvel people didn't avoid the movies because they didn't tie in with the books. People don't avoid the TV show because it doesn't tie in with the movies or comics. People don't avoid the Ultimate books because they don't tie in with the 616 books etc...

From what I've seen, heard, read, TCW was cancelled for two reasons. First, it was very expensive to produce, most so then most cartoon series, which mad eit less profitable. When Lucas was running things that didn't matter as much because it made enough money for him to keep doing it. But Disney has its own business models and numbers that shows have to hit to continue to exist. TCW simply wasn't profitable enough for Disney to continue it, thats also why Lucas animation was largely taken apart, the way they did business just didn't fit the Disney model/culture. Second, the wanted the Star Wars fans and franchise focused on the ST era and Luke< han and Leia to be the face of the franchise, not Anakin, Obi-wan and Padme as it really has been the last 10 years or so. I don't think it matters to them that the Luke people are focusing on has a son name Ben or not, so long as they are focused on Luke (just like it doens't matter if the Iron man in the comics is with Pepper or not, as long as its Iron man that kids like and is out there). Having a "movie" Luke, a "cartoon" Luke and a "novel" Luke doesn't matter as long as Luke is front and center.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Your placement of the decimal point is quite erroneous.

Ryus and run_luke_run like this.
  12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Yes but Lucas gave the ok for Chewie to die in the EU so he should take responsibility for his stupid descision & leave Chewie out of EP7.......

13. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    The grizzled forum vet speaks again. The Tom Highway of the the JCF

run_luke_run likes this.
  14. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I bite my tongue at you sir.

15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah this thread gets derailed with the same boring conversation of will it be cannon or not too quickly. I'd like there to be a "How would you adapt the EU or pay homage to it" thread as well. That thread being reserved for comments that arent really meant to be debated, just people sharing their thoughts on what they'd like to see cause there was something in the EU they liked and wouldnt mind seeing adapted. While keeping this thread reserved for debating where the EU will actually fit in realtion to the ST and beyond.

Not that those clearly cant be said here as well, but we all know as soon as someone does then on this thread someone will say thats stupid an derail it into a lets dump the EU all together debate again. The mentality here can be quite intimadating even to forum vets who feel this thread would just shoot down anything they said then derail the convo to what they want to discuss again...

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yep. That's why the guy I quoted "liked" my post. If you're going to bait the hell out of everyone on here, at least do it in the proper context.

17. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Lucas has made a lot of stupid decisions he hasn't taken responsibility for so I don't think he will start with something he gave the nod for in the EU, do you?

18. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Jokes.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Same here. Sorry if the tone was offputting. While I have been here long enough to sorta "promote responsible posting", I am not nearly as self-important as my deceptive screenname gives off. I rather like you. Not in the Biblical sense.

20. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Not quite sure to what to make of the 'Biblical sense' comment' but, I must admit to being a silent fan of your observations. Probably because I could see myself being the same if Id had the stamina to persevere with the forum that long.

run_luke_run likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    My encounter with the forums has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger.

22. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    So I was right to begin with. You are INDEED the Tom Highway of the JCF.

23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    E7 Forums - the New Galactic Empire... but who's our Jar Jar?

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Is that a new thread?

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Expense would make sense if almost all of Series 6 wasn't finished prior to the takeover. It would cost Disney nothing to produce and would make good money on DVD sales, so why not do it? Surely leaving a show hanging is worse than letting it be resolved with material that already exists.

I agree with focus on the ST stuff, but given there would be only one year max left on TCW and there seems to be no other TV spin-off stuff related to the ST happening I don't see why cancelling it was right.

Same with 1313, any Star Wars will make Disney money and again this would cost them next to nothing since it is largely complete from what I've heard.

kubricklynch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.