main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Does Shmi Skywalker represent... The Virgin Mary?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    I always wondered, who was Anakin Skywalker's father? And I realize from Shmi Skywalker's quote, "There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth, I raised him. I can't explain what happened. " that there as no father, but... When George Lucas was creating the character Shmi... was he representing The Virgin Mary? I was just wondering because of some of the similarities: No father but there was a pregnancy, "the chosen one". Not at ALL saying that Jesus Christ relates whatsoever with Darth Vader, don't get me wrong. I was just wondering, has anyone else recognized these similarities, and do you think they were put there on purpose?

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    NO

NO NO NO

may i say it again:

NO

3. Twi'lekPrince

Mar 24, 2013
    [face_worried] I was just wondering...

4. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    sorry, I just know what's coming that's all,

I better give this topic a wide birth,

as someone involved in Christian Theology

i know this debate won't end well.

But my (educated) opinion on this

is a no.

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  5. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Well, there is only one other notable figure that I am aware of who got pregnant in that manner. It would symbolically suggest Anakin was reminiscent of a certain messiah-like figure ....... On second thought, I agree with Sistros NO, NO, NO I will cease this line of thought. :p

Twi'lekPrince likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In my "head canon," Shmi had a one-night stand and just didn't want to tell anyone about it. There was no bull**** prophecy and no "Chosen One."

7. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    what Anakinfan said,

that's how I watch The Phantom Menace,

I know Qui-Gon was well intentioned asking who is father was, but quite frankly wasn't any of his business

so in my own canon (yup i like to form my own opinions when watching a film, I managed quite well before DVD commentaries to do this) she told him this to basically shut him up for asking her a personal question

it works for me

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    If anyone was the 'messiah' in TPM, it was Qui-Gon. He sacrificed himself, and returned from the dead after three episodes (days). Plus, he was played by Liam Neeson, the Hollywood equivalent of Jesus.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It certainly had an influence. That, and her role as Mary on a film where Christian Bale plays Jesus. Lucas liked her motherly nature.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In Rolling Stone he claimed it wasn't just about Biblical myth, but also the prior tradition in Greek/Roman mythology of heroes fathered by the gods.

"It is possible he was conceived by the midi-chlorians."

Unfortunately she's not present for the above scene and thus it can't be explained by retconning her into a schutta.

minnishe likes this.
  11. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    If by represent, you mean ham-handedly refer to, then yes.

12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    It is entirely possible that either Plagueis or Palpatine were indirectly Anakin's 'father'. Plagueis did, after all, possess the ability to manipulate midi-chlorians in unique ways, and it is unclear just how he taught Palpatine before he was murdered in his sleep.

It makes sense that the Sith created the most powerful Force user in the form of Anakin Skywalker with the intention of using him as a tool to assist in destroying the Republic from the inside. What they didn't expect, however, was that their creation would fulfill the Prophecy of the Chosen One and ultimately lead to the annihilation of the Sith.

13. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I like this very much

14. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, she must not have been as good a mother as the virgin Mary or else Anakin wouldn't have killed so many kids. 8-}

15. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    If you want to interpret her as the Virgin Mary, then you can (I guess...) but it seems rather illogical to me given how many savior myths include being born of a virgin.

My personal theory (excluding EU) on this is that Shmi was kidnapped (or bought) by Plagueis and Palpatine at some point when they were experimenting with creating life with the Force. Shmi was a slave, so it's not like she would have been missed by anyone, and she'd be a good candidate since she seems healthy and level headed. In all likelihood, I think that the Sith might have eventually lost interest in the "project" or not realized it worked and thus sold Shmi (maybe wiping her memory as well, though even without that, I doubt she would have recognized that the experiments could be connected to her pregnancy).

I like the dramatic irony of the Sith creating the very person that would destroy them by trying to bend the Force to their will. For Anakin, I also like that it means he's essentially the devil's son and the Chosen One at the same time. Father-son relationships are at the heart of the Saga and so it really reinforces that theme, for me.

16. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That's who she always reminded me of.

17. Twi'lekPrince

Mar 24, 2013
    MEE2!! ERMAGHERDDD [face_party]

18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003