main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi—The Prisoner of Bogan #4

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    [​IMG]

Even as the Je’daii close in on the mysterious Xesh and his mad ally Daegen Lok, a third party has entered the chase—a powerful woman from Xesh’s past.
    Meanwhile, Lok has sought the help of old enemies to help him attain a common goal—the downfall of the Je’daii!
    Creators

Writer:John Ostrander
    Penciller:Jan Duursema
    Inker:Dan Parsons
    Colorist: Wes Dzioba
    Cover Artist: David Michael Beck

Unless my search skills are really bad, there isn't a thread for this. I picked it up this evening.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It came out today??? I had no idea. Legacy messed up my internal comic book clock :p

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can see that cover being sort of befuddling to the average comicshop layperson. I mean, they're gonna take one look at it and what a "Je'daii"...

...Twi'lek is doing with a goatee. People just aren't familiar with Twi'leks' with facial hair. That's gonna be mighty confusing.

Cronal and Zorrixor like this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well he has blue skin and redish eyes... so Chiss... äh Duros :D

Zorrixor likes this.
  5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Now this was more like it, much better than last issue in terms of background detail, especially regarding the kwa and rakata.

So Lok goes to recruit the former army of the Despot Queen (conveniently all of her inner circle survived the war and they still have some followers), clashes with his pursuers again and gets away again. Also Lok still sees himself as gathering an army to fight the dark army in his vision, but not sure if he's right, lying or still delusional. Its not like Shado with facial hair, er, Hawk Ryo comes off as entirely stable himself (being able to use a Forcesaber is not a good sign).

More interestingly, the kwa holocron finally gives some more details when the Temple masters gather. Continuing on from last issue, the kwa found and helped teach the rakata when they found their homeworld of Lehon... and the rakata then set out on taking over the galaxy. The kwa shut down their Infniity Gates and most retreated to Dathomir with a few staying on Tython, including the holocron keeper. No mention of the celestials, but assuming I'm reading the issue correctly, doesn't sound like the kwa had anything to do with the tho yors either, so that part is still mysterious. After making such a huge mistake with the rakata, sounds like the kwa didn't try anything else and died out. Not entirely sure I like hearing the rakata had help, they usually seem really advanced in most other works, with their tech being the most advanced short of celestials.

Nice to get more history, although seems like a bit of a rehash of the Sith species background (very strong darkside specie that gets some outside help and then rises to take over the galaxy). Anyway, after hearing this then the Temple masters finally acknowledge that Lok's vision is coming true so time to start preparing. Well, at least they're not as bad as the Mass Effect Council was then.

Most of the plots look like they're near concluding since next issue is the last one. With the warnings in this issue and with Trill already in-system (SEk'nos did call to say he was alive), wonder how things will escalate by the end of this arc.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Holy Sith, shaved Daegen Lok is one good looking dude. [face_love]

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Holy Bantha.... that Kwa/Rakata backstory was pure gold! I wonder where the Gree fit into all this then...

don't care about Lok or the other story yet though. too random jumps and cuts to rush the story forward. I like Shae and Xesh parts though

Cronal likes this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    And don't forget the guy in black robes doesn't have a red lightsaber. I mean, wtk?

How are they meant to know who the bad guy is!?

Gorefiend and Cronal like this.
  9. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Indeed, I quite enjoyed that myself. Makes some changes though to our speculations on Kwa history though [face_thinking]

Maybe... people might think... both are the bad guys?!.... DUN DUN DUN! [face_hypnotized] Mind you, I vote for the guy in the dark clothes if I didn't know the story... but I wouldn't trust the shifty goaty wearing Twi'lek either :p

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Cool issue. The Hadiya's-inner-circle bit and the Kwa-Rakata backstory were both treats that helped the issue stand above the last one. I was a little worried that it would just be another issue where the good guys chase Lok and Xesh but oh no they get away again --- kinda like two or three issues of Force Storm full of the three young heroes fighting Xesh in the pit all blended together --- but we got great world-building and backstory to balance out the issue and leave us with a great cliffhanger. Can't wait to see how this is going to play out.

11. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    Issue read and it was astonishing! The enhanced background of the Rakata and the Kwas is pure gold. We also see that the Rakata used forcesabers for themselves once the Kwas helped them to togain access technology. I wonder if the Rakata will discover Tython and battle the Jedaii after all. And if Infinity gates are related to Hypergate, making Gree and Kwas linked in some ways.
    Anyway, the more we learn about old species such as the Rakata and the Kwas, even the Gree, the better!

12. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    So far, the big difference between the Kwa and Gree is that it seems the former seem to use the Force whilst the latter... just don't. At least, thats the impression given so far. Not seen any mention of Gree or Gree tech using the Force, in fact the opposite seem to be the case as they look like they use just advanced tech whilst the Kwa and Rakata do that whole melding of technology and Force mysticism. Will have to wait and see but really this is the best era for having some encounters with the GFFA's ancient races as they can make a difference but not impact more modern times. So, if DotJ lasts long enough, I would love to see encounters with the Gree, Sharu and Columni.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm really glad this story is utilizing so much of the world-building they did before DotJ started--I felt like the first arc didn't quite live up to the promise of #0, and finally getting to see Nox, Krev Coeur, etc. and learn more about the Despot War is making things much more interesting.

14. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Cronal.. time to rework our older ideas ;)
    I like the vibe I get from this issue:

-Kwa are THE current prime celestial servant species till they discovered the Rakata and teached them, stretching far across the galaxy and NOT (yet) angering the celestials with unnatural gateactivity. so their gates worked fine before something changed with them!
    -The Rakata learned quickly and rose as fast.. not much time to be a servant race for them at all it seems. They fought their Kwa on many worlds till reaching Dathomir itself but the Kwa pushed them back to destroy the hypergates forcing them to find other means of travel giving the galaxy a break and many stranded Rakata colonies that later would reconnect when they invented the Forcehyperdrives.
    -So maybe the Celestials punished the Kwa for not realizing what they had unleashed with the Rakata.. and not the Kwa hypergates were what was the trouble, but rather the unnatural corruption of some of them the Rakata obtained/abused, maybe even turning some Kwa evil.. or a splintergroup of Kwa corrupted the Rakata without the main Kwa noticing until too late?
    -Also Tython is mainly a Kwa safe haven for those they could save from the Infinite Empire before it expanded, probably in the short break that the Rakata needed to invent the Forcehyperdrives after the gates were shut down.
    -Makes me wonder if the Gree too got hypergate tech from the Kwa originally and only rose to assist the Kwa against the Rakata.. yet later ending up to fight the Kwa too.
    -With Gree reaching till Coruscant/Notron, and Kwa till Lehon their territories must have overlapped giving more credence to the idea of Gree being using Kwa tech and being allies with them... OR.. the territorial conflict started there with Kwa expanding into Gree territory as well as unleashing the Rakata on the Gree.
    -given astrography in the Unknown Regions.. we got the Gree homeworld closer to Lehon than Dathomir and in between the Utegetu Nebula with the Killiks.. they were relocated there already I guess, which would have them be a nice nasty surprise for exploring Rakata ships heading Gree- or Kwa-wards.
    -also adding the new notions of TOR that Gree, who did not like droids in old sources have droidtechnology back then, I do wonder if the Gree geared up and went to arm themselves against the Rakata.. or if they obtained Rakatan droid tech.
    -both Gree and Kwa are known to help developing cultures.. maybe the Gree helped the Rakata too.. with technology, while the Kwa teached the Force and other stuff

so much to ponder!

Cronal likes this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    None of which helps us guess when/why the Gree and Kwa went to war and released Abeloth.

16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    well, not yet. But it must have been after the Kwa were disgraced I think. so probably in the break before the rise of the Rakata, or during their rise. Kwa are harmonic, kind. I could see them, who hardly know darkness fall to it easily in trying to defend against the Rakata. War's do not make one great, so the Kwa like the Jedi later darkened through war first as defenders, then using offense as a means of defense. With the Kwa becoming supersoldiers instead of gentle teachers, they lost their way and ripped unnatural trouble into spacetime with their hypergates. That had the Celestials then send in their other servant species, the Gree to stop them. thus Gree/Kwa war so violent that the Celestials at first even allowed the Rakata to rise, hoping the Gree could contain them after the Kwa are dealt with, who'd become worse than the Rakata when the darkened species managed to push the Rakata back even. So Rakata and Gree converged on the Kwa.. but the Gree by that point no longer were able to stop the Rakata and were overrun themselves. the Celestial plan failed and they could only watch as the Gree/Kwa war turned into a Kwa/Gree/Rakata threesome which one way or another had Abeloth released (by Celestials to stop them all and reset the stage? or by one of them by accident or on purpose).. what followed was ugly till Killiks could contain Abeloth in the Maw, with Gree and Kwa devolved, Sharu too. Rakata remained but Tython was a last hope to the Celestials. one the Rakata now are about to find ;)

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And somewhere in that the Killiks met the Sith and went stir-fry crazy.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Good issue!

Wasn't expecting all of that background info on the Rakata :D Though it does make the Kwa seem foolish. Still need confirmation on the creation and nature of Tython, though.

Xesh is really on the path to redemption, despite being with Lok now. Very interesting now that Shae Koda is with them.

Now that the Council believes Lok's vision is coming true, how will the inevitable reunion go?

Hadiya's advisers definitely looked familiar ;) Though I thought it would make more sense for Lok to find the Je'Daii and others who served under him in the war.

I've got to say, that ship at the temple has a very cool design, retro and futuristic in one :p

o_O

19. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    Indeed :) I am actually wondering if a possible solution on why the 'Spirits' got angry with the Kwa is perhaps they only began abusing the Infinity Gates BECAUSE of the Rakata. The Kwa in DotJ seem quite peaceful so far so I do wonder if they were just unprepared for the savagery of the Rakata and thus they broke their own balance in the Power of the Cosmos by using the Gates as weapons instead of peaceful tools. And that the weapons were dangerous in such a manner... might explain why the Kwa were punished yet the dark side Rakata were allowed to pillage and conquer. Maybe... maybe the Kwa crossed a line with their technology whilst the Rakata may had been dark but they were not tearing holes in reality in their conquests. Its something I do wonder about and put in the Ancient Races thread [face_thinking]

My impression on the Killik mural was that it seemed Abeloth inspired madness during that time. Isn't it said that she basically emerges to prop down civilizations at certain points in history? Seems to me that might be the reason why they went to war. All speculation here mind you. I mean from the background, we know the Gree and Kwa were servants of the Celestials so it seems odd that they would be fighting one another unless something shook everything up which is certainly possible with Abeloth.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Must admit I keep looking at the Gree and wondering if they're so karking ugly in the tentacle department because Abeloth messed with them long, long ago.

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree that the Kwa Rakata backstory is pure gold!
    I was under the impression that "Rakata were a servant race" actually means "Rakata seemed to be a servant race before showing their true colors".

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Good issue. Looks like Jan took the opposite approach of Darth Maladi with Shri-lan. ;)

And hm, is it me or did Master Ketu have a very Roan Fell look at the end there? [face_thinking]

Shae is Xesh's prisoner, eh? Wonder if she'll get the Dathomiri concept of "prisoner" from him, lol. Y'know, it's interesting that Shae's ancestors came from Dathomir, much as the Kwa were from there. Yet there doesn't seem to be any overlap between the humans of Dathomir and the Kwa. Interesting indeed.

23. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    On the Rakata being servants, perhaps they were indirectly servants... by proxy through the Kwa. Kwa were servants, they met the Rakata, Rakata served the Kwa who served the Celestials maybe?

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Exactly what I was thinking. My above post elaborates upon this theory.

Anyway, A'nang's Rakata history lesson is my favorite thing in DOTJ so far.

25. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Loved all the stuff on the Rakata, would like to see them make a come back in the post Endor EU. A race of pure evil. Sounds awesome.

Xesh "You are my Prisoner. You will not resist."

The fan fic writes it self[face_beatup]

I wonder how this arc will end, and how long until this is turned into an awesome cartoon series.

Gorefiend likes this.