main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"This deal is getting worse all the time!"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by IG_2000, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I thought Kennedy, after being installed as LFL head, was pushing George to let "LFL" make the ST? I mean, what good is a CEO that doesn't want to expand the business? George and Kathleen brought in Michael Arndt like late 2011 or early 2012 to starting writing the treatments. This is information now starting to come to light publicly. Whether or not George was already planning to sell before that point is up to conjecture. Disney comes in later in the timeline. I disagree with the idea there would not be anymore movies without the Disney purchase. It's becoming clear that Lucasfilm, as a company, was indeed moving forward. Yes, George wouldn't have directed them, someone else selected by them would have. Still, I think it was more a matter of George's psychological health to sell the company. When the new movies were made, he knew he would not be able to stay away. The realization that his last good years in this world would be filled with stressing over creating, "Star Wars". Lucas would have wound up producing, writing and still been heavily involved the next ten years. He sold out to get a respectable distance away, yet still available for a consult when necessary. I can totally understand and appreciate his decision.

As far as the new flicks are concerned...?

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    And now LucasArts is being shut down.

:_|

3. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    All good things must come to an end. I also interpret this as Disney/Lflm. re-grouping & re-evaluating the SW franchise, and not wanting to barrage the general public with too much SW before the new ST comes out in 2015.

This is fine with me, since IMHO there was too much new stuff to keep track of anyway. Even though it's too bad TCW got cancelled (I never watched it, though I know there were a lot of fans of the show), it lasted five seasons, which is a very respectable amount of time for any TV show.

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Just to address:

1. All hands on deck for the new trilogy. Kennedy and Abrams are not committed to a 2015 release of Episode VII. However, I think since Iger officially announced 2015 he probably wants to reassure investors, fans and other stakeholders, that it's sooner than later.

2. Remember, Season 5 of SW: The CW just ended anyway. They'll probably continue on Disney XD and/or begin something new soon. It's probably a little up in the air, but Cartoon Network is a rival and can not keep Clone Wars on that network.

5. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
  6. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    Disney is focusing in this new era. They want to create a hype for the new trilogy. Everything must be centered around them. Disney is a big company and they care about mass market trends. Lucas was focusing more on the fan base.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    And that sucks.
    1. I feel that Star Wars ends when Palpatine dies
    2. Star Wars covers multiple eras for a reason

8. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Does cancelling the TCW signal an intention to look to do a similar show spanning the Ep III-EpIV or EpVI-EpVII gaps? If it's animated then there would be no issue in recasting characters.

9. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Keeping in mind that not only do Disney want to retain the current fans that consist of various generations, but they also want to attract a whole new bunch too. By having the existing spinoffs running alongside the franchise, it would confuse and perhaps deter new fans from joining. This is standard practice. Just look at Doctor Who in 2005 where it was never explained how or why the Eighth Doctor regenerated into the Ninth Doctor, whether the series of 8th Doctor Novels were canon and we never got to see the Time War, how it was caused and see precisely what the Doctor singlehandedly did to resolve it. Annoying? Most definitely, but it is the neat, practical way of doing it.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    And the Disney deal was already in the works in 2011. What I said is true, these movies do not get made without this sale.

There is no conspiracy here, all the information is out there. Lucas went into the real work of putting these treatments together after the sale talks began. Everyone has been very upfront.

This doesn't happen without the sale

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Absolutely. We don't know what was ever really developed regarding the ST & the spinoffs - although the spin will always say it was part of some sort of grand vision from the 1970s - but there's nearly a decade of GL quotes denying that there would ever be any more films in the SW Saga, ever. While I'm sure that whatever he gave to Disney had some sort of miniscule foundation in his ancient plan of a 9-episode SW Saga, plus several tangential films, it's a safe bet that he only really hammered out something presentable in the last year or so.
    One or two pages of 20-30 year-old illegible scribbles in pencil on fading yellow note paper wouldn't really cut it in negotiations for a $4 billion sale, even if they were written by William Shakespeare with storyboards from Leonardo Da Vinci.

All that really happened was that LFL & the SW franchise were sold to Disney, and there was enough floating around the ether about Star Wars films that never came to pass that could lend some serious credibility to the first few that Disney makes - just as long as The Man Responsible For Everything put his name to something.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  12. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    I feel the same way. The end of the Emperor was the end of the story.
    But I take some consolation to the fact that Lucas was involved while developing the treatments for the new trilogy so I guess Lucas came up with something that makes sense.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Lucas did apparently put some hard work into getting a treatment ready for Disney once the deal was going to go through.

14. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Pretty much every decision Disney made so far has been the right call. I liked much of TCW, but it was beginning to get stale and so it's time to end it. Detours looked stupid. I've no desire to see 3D converted movies, especially the PT. 1313 looked like it had potential, but the changes I hear Lucas made to the game's concept caused me to lose interest.

So, yeah. Good for Disney.

15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The statement that they're phasing out of the Clone Wars era doesn't seem too far off. But I hate how it was done rather forcefully: they cancelled an enormously popular series just because they wanted us to shift our interest to something else. That being said, I remember Lucas talking about arguments against the sequel trilogy, and how absolutely nothing could happen after that because of the conclusion reached at the end of Return of the Jedi. Now doesn't that get you excited? Now, I still have faith in Episode IX, but there's still many doubts associated with having a movie after the intended conclusion of the series.

And the "postponing" of the re-releases is just shameless. We were baited in with Episode I, only to have the door shut in our faces. With all the work that's been done on the films, I hope it doesn't go to waste. Episode II and III weren't far away before they pulled the plug.
    To elaborate, it's not the 3D experience that's important (though I did enjoy it). It's simply seeing Star Wars again in the theaters, which no fan can refuse. I hope they can get them released, even if they half-ass it and show the rest in 2D.

Valairy Scot and Billy_Dee_Binks like this.
  16. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    How long before the Mouse axes Old Republic?

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    As long as EA's license lasts, from what I hear.

18. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Any idea how long that is?

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    no

20. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, that was my point - he had to sit down & put something together (still supposedly based on The Grand Plan) to maintain some fanboy credibility with the franchise once it was handed over. Otherwise there's the risk of losing a sizeable proportion of the fanbase who won't see Disney SW films as the real deal.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think people here know me well enough to know by now, that I am far from a Lucas apologist.

That said, I think his choice was motivated by two things

One being, that Star Wars is simply worth more from a business standpoint with his name attached to it, and that it is worth more to Disney if he has a treatment to hand over.

And two, that he really does care about the story, and he was conflicted about giving up control and he wanted to have his input

I criticize the guy sometimes, but I also respect him.

Sean Sinclair and Jcuk like this.
  22. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Oh, definitely - apart from the obvious value of his name, he wanted some sort of way of making it a proper handover, and a fond farewell. I've no doubt he has a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Saga, due to the way it completely & utterly transformed his life, but he definitely didn't want to just be rid of it.

Most of my own theories regarding the new films (totally new Saga, maybe not even bearing ep numbers, set many decades, even centuries after ROTJ) have been somewhat blown out of the water by the involvement of the Big Three, so the new trilogy might yet have some sort of link to the Episodes VII-IX first mentioned back in 1979. I honestly don't think there was much developed then anyway, the material GL came up with for the Disney deal would be largely new, but it's nice to think that they'll still have some of his influence.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think Star Wars is at it's best when it comes from his vision, but then gets distilled down through others views into a cohesive story,

I am optimistic about this future.

24. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    ^Star Wars in that way shares a lot with Star Trek. GR was very much like you describe Lucas.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  25. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Point #1 cannot be stated enough. Frankly I don't see the need to tell stories beyond the OT except through books/comics and videogames. It just lends itself to cheapening the storyline of Anakin's fall and redemption by his son. However, I suspect we will wind up with Dark Side baddy who was lurking somewhere off screen during all these events who we had no clue about. Evil Sith Lord will reveal himself as the TRUE bad guy and Palpatine was simply his pawn (maybe Darth Plagueis isn't dead after all). The idea at the end of Episode VI was, the Emperor is dead and the Empire has fallen, good prevails and "they all lived happily ever after."

I'd much rather see a story set in a distant time in the past of the Star Wars universe, maybe the backstory of the Jedi. Maybe another Dark Time during the history of the Galactic Republic with a new set of heroes and their adventures fighting the forces of evil. I'd much rather see that and the spin off films than the geriatric trio and the sons/daughters of Han and Leia fighting the next Dark Sider, or remnants of the Empire, or next clone of Palpatine. I have serious concerns.

Yancy

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.