main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Performance in Jabba's Palace: Was it needed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 27, 2013.

?

Do you think that the performance in Jabba's Palace was necessary, or unecessary?

1. Necessary

38.9%
  2. Unecessary

61.1%
  1. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    Recently I was watching ROTJ, and I got to the part in Jabba's palace where there is the band and dancers, all performing for Jabba. I don't know, I just personally feel that this performance wasn't needed. I think that it even looked stupid :eek: . Does anyone else think this was necessary or unecessary?

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    A more pertinent question is did they really have to mess with the original scene itself? The tune was so much better, and the digital character singing was just dumb. It was the same with all the added stuff. Some good, some unnecessary. And that was unnecessary. It was just GL saying, 'hey look what my computers can do now'

3. Twi'lekPrince

Mar 24, 2013
    I definitely don't think they should have added that performance, and I agree with you on both points.

Grand_Moff_Jawa and Darth kRud like this.
  4. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, they needed to show a price of failure scene so that we knew the kind of immediate danger Luke was in later on when he is standing where the Twi'lek was when she refused Jabba's sexual advances. It was more believable that Jabba would become aroused enough to demand whatever when she was doing her dance, so music. Plus it was an opportunity to showcase a den of characters, (good or bad,) plus green boobies. I'm not saying it was necessary to have nudity in Star Wars, but there is no way that it hurt the box office. ...at least my dad appreciated it, even If I didn't until a few years later.

maerj2000 and Ordo N-11 like this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Establishing the existence of the rancor was necessary. A protracted musical number with silly-looking aliens? Not quite so much. I honestly think it was the worst change of the SE (it was in the OOT too, but the "Lapti Nek" sequence gets to the point much faster then the "Jedi Rocks" version does).

Darth kRud likes this.
  6. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I thought the original ROTJ scene from 1983 was fantastic, for all the reasons already mentioned. I also thought the extended scene with Oola (using the same actress from 1983) from the 1997 SE was also nice.

I did not like the furthur extended 1997 SE version with the additional dancers (Rodian, Twi-lek, etc.), Boba Fett hitting on the dancers, the Yuzzem?! singing replacing the original Sy Snootles band song, the CGI Sy Snootles, etc. - this looked terrible, and was very out of place within the film.

IMHO they should just used the extended sequence with Oola, and kept everything else the same. That would have been perfect.

Going along with the above, the other thing that bugs me about the added music is that, being a huge fan of the SW soundtrack music, it's tough for me to find the original 1983 ROTJ Sy Snootles song now that it's been "replaced". I used to have the original ROTJ 1983 soundtrack, but don't anymore. I did get the ROTJ 1997 soundtrack, but that only has the inferior Yuzzum song. The only version of the original Sy Snootles song I have is from the Meco Star Wars compilation (which also has a version of the Ewok celebration song) - this is great, but it's not what was originally in the film. Sure, I could probably hunt down the 1983 Sy Snootles song, but it would have been nice to have had that as an "alternate take" (or somthing like that) on the 1997 soundtrack...

7. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    I cringe every time I see it.

8. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    It may not be necessary, but Oola's dance makes it worth watching.

Andy Wylde and DarthRelaxus like this.
  9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It was unnecessary. But I think Lucas once said that that's the point of it; the movie takes a break and spontaneously turns into a musical sequence. It's one of those odd quirks that makes Star Wars so memorable (the aliens, the otherworldly music, the atmosphere, etc). That being said, Jedi Rocks took it a little bit too far in my opinion.

Ordo N-11, kainee and oierem like this.
  10. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    Wait a minute. I thought this topic was about the addition of Jedi Rocks. That's what I was referring to when I said I cringe at it. [face_laugh]

The original is fine.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I liked the original better

12. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah, the SE change makes me want to punch myself in the brain. So out of place and ridiculous.

13. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I think so, the original Snooties puppet was very bad. It barely moved, and even on VHS you could clearly see the string moving her trunk, even though her mouth at the end of her trunk didn't work. It was just awlful, no wonder Lucas wanted to fix that scene.

14. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    It's been so long since I've seen the original 1983 version of ROTJ (I haven't had my VHS tapes since '96) that I don't remember those details. However, Lflm. could easily have fixed the string & the movement via some digital magic, and kept the rest of the scene the same. That being said, even if this weren't possible (apparently fixing some things in the OOT films can be problematic, i.e. the Ben/Vader lightsaber fight in ANH) they could have left this the same, and it would still have looked 100% better than the extremely fake-looking & sub-par 1997 CGI Sy Snootles & the Yuzzum. Also, I'm sure I'm not alone in my opinon that the original "Lapti Nek" song is far superior to the 1997 SE replacement.

15. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Agreed. And it's only a minute and a half long!

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  16. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    While your mileage may very, the original scene wasn't perfect like many claim.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed with others... the original was fine (weird, but not out of place in Jabba's palace). The Jedi Rocks changes are terrible.

18. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I dont think I like the way this question is really framed. Because it seems like from the comments it assumes that if something is not needed then it should not be there. I dont think anybody could really argue it was needed, a lot of things in the films are not needed. But I also think theres a lot of things that are unneeded that help give the movie character even if they weren't there it wouldn't really hurt the film.

Personally I dont really care either way if the performance is there or not however I guess I more reject the framing of it to begin with

19. facebook

facebook Jedi Knight

Oct 16, 2012
    I love Jedi Rocks! Better get used to random musical numbers in the movies anyway. ;)

20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I don't mind either one, actually.

And you should be able to find Huttese "Lapti Nek" on the STAR WARS Anthology CD box set; the one released before the SE changes. As for the English version, it's probably on YouTube, I guess.

21. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think my biggest problem with the new version is that it's just too in your face. They should have just left it alone, or if they had to change it they should have been more subtle about it.

22. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Probably my favourite scene in ROTJ. Star Wars in its full vaudevillian/Barbarellalian/Jabborwockian glory. Lapti Nek comes across as quite meek by comparison.

Highlights include Joe Cocker's/Joh Yowza's pre-Rancor down the throat shot, Rystall at her synchronistic best, and Boba bobbing along like the pop music victim he is. Zai ya la, bra.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    it was terrible originally , and then George made it even worse .

24. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    I don't even remember the original, though I'm sure I saw it a handful of times. Never could stand the SE version of that scene, it was obnoxious and cartoonish. The concept is fine, Jabba likes his entertainment and it gives us a glimpse of his ruthless nature. Why did it have to be done with terrible CGI, goofy looking Muppet rejects and a plain bad song? The musical interlude in Mos Eisley in ANH is lovely and fits right in to the universe. This just breaks the fourth wall and screams at us "now Lucas is going to indulge himself for a minute!"

25. Twi'lekPrince

Mar 24, 2013
    I think the performance didn't need to be so "in your face". They could of had it be a lot more low key.