main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Mortis Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Mar 29, 2013.

?

So What Do You Think Of The Mortis Arc?

1. I Like/Love It

62.1%
  2. I Dislike/Hate It

15.5%
  3. I Have No Strong Feelings One Way Or The Other

22.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I'm a bit curious of exactly how split the opinions on the Mortis trilogy are between the boardmembers so I thought I should create this poll to find out; go ahead and vote for your personal opinion on this to some controversial Season 3 story arc.

2. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    I loved the Mortis arc, it is one of my favorite.

KSennia likes this.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    A whole trilogy of Force-vision episodes? Previously unheard perspectives on the Force? Can't go wrong.

KSennia likes this.
  4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I really liked 'Altar of Mortis', I thought 'Overlords' was alright, but I didn't really like 'Ghosts of Mortis', so I think the whole arc was not bad, but not great either.

The stand out of the arc was the Son vs. the Daughter fight, having a fight between two force users with no lightsabers was pretty cool, because we go to see how strong the force can be when using it. I thought the Daughter was badass during that scene, and was my favourite character from the whole arc.

The Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Ahsoka fight was quite good too, but then having the Son kill her and the Father use the Daughter to bring her back to life wasn't the best idea they could've come up with, but it still worked alright.

The scenery of the arc in 'Overlords' looked amazing, and was probably one of the best setting designs in the entire series. The visions that each of the characters had of Qui-Gon, Shmi and an older Ahsoka was quite cool, and it was great to see Liam Neeson doing the voice acting for Qui-Gon.

'Ghosts of Mortis' was one of the worst episodes of the entire series for me, I didn't hate it, but it's just one episode that I wouldn't bother to watch much. Seeing Anakin turn to the dark side just didn't work for me, having Ahsoka turn to the dark side was enough. The visions Anakin saw were a good link to the following films, but it just wasn't necessary.

Overall I'd give each of the episodes the following grades:

Overlords - 7/10
    Altar of Mortis - 7.5/10 (This might go up to an 8/10 if I watch it again)
    Ghosts of Mortis - 6/10

Overall grade for the whole Mortis arc - 7/10

5. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I unashamedly enjoyed Mortis. Every episode.
    I've always had an interest in old gods, spirits, and ascended beings, ever since I was a kid. The Greek, Norse, and Hindu gods, Japanese kami, all the myriad Native American spirits from the many cultures―they were all fascinating and I suppose I never outgrew that, carrying on that interest in fictional pursuits from DC's New Gods to The Ones Who Came Before in Assassin's Creed's First Civilization. On top of that, long before Apocalypse came out and made the canonical connection, I'd already assumed the Ones were supposed to be Celestials, the race of ascended beings that have been around in Star Wars for years, long before the conception of Mortis, and I found it really cool to finally be able to see them instead of just the things they left behind and hearing about what they'd done.

Mortis itself was very interesting. Aside from the excellent work the animation team did in ensuring the beautiful or foreboding scenery, it fit very well as the realm of beings who by their very existence seem to warp their place in reality. The decision to portray the change of the world with the time of day, conveying a noticeable cycle of death and rebirth as the two exist in nature, was an excellent one in my opinion. I also liked the instances of movement by will, such as Obi-Wan appearing at the Monastery because that was where he felt he needed to be. It heightened the sense that this was a malleable world that was intrinsically, and almost intuitively, bound to the power of the Force. In short it was a fitting place for gods to dwell. Giving the Son a Barad-dur/Orthanc hybrid for his evil fortress was a bit much, though, even if they did change the eye of Sauron to a generic green ball of light. There's homage and then there's just not trying.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Absolute nonsense. And, it actually subverts the Saga, so I'm not keen on it it all.

7. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Unwatchable. It seems like the plot of a KJA book.

Darth__Syphilis likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what would have happened if Son, rather than Daughter, died.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Could. Not. Stand. It. The only episodes that might have been worse in the entire series were the droid arc, particularly Sunny Day in the Void, and Shades of Reason. And I'm not sure those were worse.

I think the Chosen One prophecy is a load of bull**** and didn't like it in the prequels either. The fact that TCW decided to make three episodes based on a load of bull****...smh.

I think "destiny" is just an excuse that people use to either avoid responsibility for their own actions or avoid facing the fact that most everything in life is accidental. But Mortis...oh noes. "He who seeks to control fate will never find peace." Bull. ****. Dry that one out and you can fertilize the entire planet. "He who takes responsibility for his actions and promises to do his best not to be an ***hole again will find peace." Or, "He who owns being an ***hole after the fact and doesn't try to blame some deity for it will find peace." Much better.

The characters all behaved stupidly, particularly Anakin, who was so horrified at a vision of himself turning to the Dark Side that he accepts the Son's offer to turn to the Dark Side so he could avoid turning to the Dark Side. Wait...what? More on that later as I'm planning to MST the hell out of this series in the Discussion of Old TCW Episodes thread sometime this weekend.

I suppose if you're into existentialism and prophecy and fate and divine intervention and all that sort of thing, you can find something to like, but most all of that goes against everything I believe .

10. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    Absolutely loved it. The mythology of the Star Wars saga is finally seen a a unique and creative way. Everytime I watch the episodes, I figure out or discover something new. And I don'y know how you can't get goosebumps during Ghosts of Mortis when Anakin is shown his future.

KSennia, Darth_Harmon and cwustudent like this.
  11. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    I didn't dislike it nor did I particularly like it either. It mostly seemed like a "filler" issue of a comic: they had a gap in the schedule so they pulled in an off-arc story to plug it.

About the only useful thing I took from it was the warning to Ahsoka about her potential fate should she remain Anakin's padawan.

12. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    The downside to that is that if he had any brains at all, he'd change his attitude and learn from it and thus not fall at all.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Anakin misinterpreted the vision to mean that Padme and Obi-Wan turn to the Dark Side.

14. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    Ok, not seeing how you are getting that at all... ???

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Why else would Anakin turn to the Dark Side in response to the vision?

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Bad writing. Or because he was a moron. Which fits in with what happened in ROTS, only on Mortis he wasn't desperate to save Padme's life.

17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I used to love it, now I am indifferent to it.

I felt like it introduced concepts that should have been followed up on and was expecting it to do so.

Qui-Gon appears to Obi-Wan and Anakin, that should be incredibly significant, yet it never comes up again - Obi-Wan and Anakin never discuss it again in TCW. The Father is the first character to disappear into the Force. Why? That's pretty significant as he is the first chronologically to do this that Obi-Wan and Yoda are able to do later. Qui-Gon doesn't even do it, though he still retains his identity after death. Qui-Gon apparently teaches the power to Obi-Wan and Yoda. Qui-Gon (via the novelization) apparently learned it from the shaman of the Whills. Was Father the "shaman of the Whills?" Did he himself learn it from the Whills? Was there any interaction between Father and Qui-Gon? Father mentions hearing whispers of the Chosen One, were those whispers from Qui-Gon? With three people in isolation outside of the temporal realm, who was he hearing these whispers from?

Few know of the existence of the "Force Wielders," including Plagueis (Plagueis novel), who else knows? Does Yoda know? Who were these individuals before they withdrew from the temporal world? They had a Jedi transmitter from 2,000 years earlier, are they from the era of Darth Ruin? Are they ancient Jedi?

How is too much light side a bad thing?

The Son is never represented as anything remotely good and is ultimately a character that needs to be destroyed to stop him... how does that conform to the idea of balance? If Son had died and Daughter had lived, would she have needed to die too? Why? What harm would she have done? Was she going to get the "crazy" idea to steal the ship, escape into the temporal world, destroy the Sith and make the galaxy a better place? CRAZY, I say!

Basically I felt like Mortis was a really interesting arc, but I felt like I came out of it with way more questions. I thought it needed a follow up which was implied but we never got.

18. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    anakinfansince1983 makes some good points about fate. I completely agree that it's always someone's choice and while, in my opinion, there is a higher power moving the pieces around ultimately the decision is your's and yours alone.... I guess i never really thought of it like that. However that doesn't ruin the arc for me...

Anyways, I would say im in the Love/Like crew. The episodes were great, the return of QGJ sealed the deal for me. It was soo great seeing him again. I liked the trio on mortis. The Daughter was cool, and like Jordan1Kenobi said the force fight was epic. Ahsoka vs Obi and Anakin was cool too. The Son was an EPIC villain. Sam did a great job as always with his voice, and I couldn't help from thinking that the Son is still alive, since he was only stabbed by the lightsaber. as another user made a thread on before, the son could have possibly been re-incarnated through Maul which is what I believe.

I think I gave this saga all 10's. Or maybe 1 9 for overlords. Not the best arc, there is a lot more that are better. But sill an amazing arc. I would have LOVED to see a follow up arc to this sometime in future seasons, but looks like we will never get to see.

19. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    All three of them die in the end...

Simple. The Son promised Anakin that together, they could end the Clone Wars and bring peace to the galaxy.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree with those who disliked Mortis, but I personally liked the chosen one prophecy as presented in the movies.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm agnostic. It might be interesting to see how belief in a higher power affects one's opinion of this arc; that's a bit too personal so I wouldn't ask, but I'm guessing there might be a connection there.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant what if ONLY Son died.

23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm atheist and I still (at one time) loved the arc. I don't think that's a personal question, though maybe a powder keg should it bring out religious intolerance.

Things like Sith, Jedi, Force, Father, Son, Daughter, destiny, etc. interest me as fictional and incredible concepts. In the same way that any myth potentially could. Though there is no parallel to my spirituality (I am not spiritual) nor do I think that they even work as morality plays - Star Wars does not teach me any life lessons outside of the lesson "don't take authority for granted, challenge it if you think it is wrong."

I don't believe there is any kind of eternally damning power out there nor that fear, anger, hate, etc. are intrinsically bad.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Cool. Thanks for the insight. :)

25. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Also, I must say that the concept of "balance" was one that interests me somewhat in the fictional world of Star Wars but that has no bearing on the real world IMO (i.e. taoism is not something I believe in on any level).

I get the idea that you cannot know dark without light or that you cannot know hot without cold, male without female, hard without soft, big without small, etc. and that a lot of things are partially defined by their opposite. That part of it I can accept and just seems like common sense. But when the PT threw in the idea of balance, I think that's an interesting concept as a fictional concept, but balance implies equality and while you might not know good without evil, I don't understand how anyone should say that they should be balanced. Evil should be suppressed as much as possible not merely "balanced."

Which is something that I thought Mortis should have addressed. Why is an imbalance in favor of light bad? What beneficial counter-effect does dark have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.