main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New, Powerful Force Users

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Silas Nightstalker, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    This is mostly an era-related problem that has to do with how the cast has been structured, and it goes back to the NJO's decision, which was reasonable given YJK and other marketing considerations to elevate the Solo children to major character status. The NJO and onward has directed the main novel plotline towards what is essentially a family drama of the Skywalker-Solo clan, and just about everyone in that clan, except poor Han, uses the Force. Chewie's dead, Lando's old, and characters such as Wynn Dorvan and even Jag are constrained by their political station that means they have trouble mixing it up. Even the Rogues and Wraiths have mostly aged out of the front lines by the time of FotJ.

Overall this pattern seems to be an outlier, one determined by the market-driven desire of Del Rey to move novels by placing Luke, Han, and Leia at the forefront, and by extension their Force-using offspring, romantic interests (the EU has generally take the wise stance of pairing Force User with Force user, but that does create Force-user glut), and so forth. Other eras have been much more flexible, even TCW, despite positively drowning in high-powered Jedi managed to add a whole stable of cool new bounty hunters and show them going toe-to-toe with Force-users.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I must have read a different Clone Wars EU, because I recall that during the clone wars the problem was as great as in other time periods. The only novels during Clone Wars I remember that have important non-Jedi heroes are the RC books. And the comics aren't much better, depicting pretty much anyone except the Jedi as either corrupt or utterly helpless.

This isn't just some post-ROTJ-thing. Aside from OT or Dark Times eras it is jedi heroes every time everywhere. People like Atton Rand, who is himself force-sensitive, are btw. not very good counter-examples.

Edit:
    One of the few shining exceptions are the KotoR comics. One more reason to love 'em.

3. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Also he was kind of a force-user

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assume Krayt is at his best in FotJ. In the aftermath he's dying. Until he comes back, then he is back up there.

He was side-by-side with Luke against Abeloth. Sidious lost to Luke... Luke needed Krayt to stop Abeloth. There is the potential for Krayt to be stronger than Sidious, but we haven't seen Luke and Krayt face off yet. Notably, Lumiya survived more encounters with Luke than Sidious, but she didn't win most of them.

Vialco likes this.
  5. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    did he?
    I haven't seen Dark Empire so maybe it happens then, but if so that wasn't the real Sidious IMO

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Luke beats him in a lightsaber duel (with Leia and baby Anakin's Force-related support), in Dark Empire.

So one could argue Luke had an assist, which he didn't have against Abeloth, lowering Krayt's position in relation to Sidious, who needed three Skywalkers working together to beat.

I wouldn't argue that wasn't the real Sidious, myself, as it really was, as far as the plot argues.

Vialco likes this.
  7. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Wasn't he sort of a crazy clone or something?

If that's considered the real Darth Sidious then it kind of cheapens the whole Star Wars saga

8. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Actually Leia and baby Anakin's Force aid comes to play after the duel when they combine their powers to turn the Force storm against Palpatine. Leia only makes the Force aid remark once Sidious has lost and announce his endgame threat. It's shown in the comic and the audio drama although This is more clear in the audio drama. So Luke won the duel on his own

As for Krayt and Luke, people seem to forget that Luke was taking the brunt of the battle while Krayt drains both Luke and Abeloth from a distance. IIRC Luke even gets in a fight with Krayt once he senses his power being drained.

JediMatteus likes this.
  9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

It was the real Sidious, he used Force transfer to send his spirit into clone bodies he prepared. All Sith seem to have a way to prolong their life through unnatural means see Krayt, Nihilus, etc. Though Sidious didn't fare as well with the clones he was capable of unleashing Force storms which rival Nihilus's power rather easily as the power was capable of wiping off planets

10. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    In that case I can see why the authors and most fans choose to ignore Dark Empire lol.
    Kind of completely ruins the whole point of the Anakin Skywalker Star wars saga.

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Yeah it's been a controversial thing since the pt, The ironic thing is this was one of the first major EU stories alongside Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. And Lucas actually enjoy the series, quoting it to be close as sequel trilogy as it could have been

Then again before the Prequels the center focus wasn't on Anakin's as the savior but his son Luke.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Not at all. Palpatine's death over Endor brought balance to the Force and, for all his remaining power, left him broken. Had Anakin not cast him down, when he cast him down, his eternal reign would have been assured.

Dark Empire is a story detailing the death throes of the Emperor.

And, actually, in the wake of Revenge of the Sith and Vader/Sidious' quest for immortality, it's ended up being one of the more prescient pieces of EU there is. Thematically, at least.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    As for Krayt and Luke, people seem to forget that Luke was taking the brunt of the battle while Krayt drains both Luke and Abeloth from a distance

thank you !!!!this is what i have been saying all along. Luke took the brunt of the attack. He was the focal point of Abeloth's attention in that fight.

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    You could make a statement that Palpatine was physically weaker because of transferring his essence into a un- muscled clone body. I mean at the very least he has no muscle memory. Of course Luke beat him in a physical contest.

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The comic and the audio drama states that the clone body of Palps was younger and stronger, possessing physical strength. Even so if Palps was weak from the Force transfer he didnt show it. the first duel between the two Luke lost. Although by that time Luke was already being subtly influenced by Sidious, so Luke couldn't concentrate during the first duel.

16. Scars Unseen

Scars Unseen Jedi Padawan

Feb 28, 2013
    Unless maximum difficulty removes the Star Destroyer sequence, I think it is safe to say that Starkiller is still ridiculous. I've never seen a game remind me that less is more better than TFU did.

17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    it was never meant to be a canon character. they just wanted to make a fun game

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    That makes more sense

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ^although the instance where he does transfers to his new body he defeats Luke, the clone bodies were also youthful forms of his original body.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Size matters not...

rumsmuggler likes this.
  21. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    If a girl tells you that she is lying

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  22. Scars Unseen

Feb 28, 2013
    And at what point do we stop taking that at face value? Can we move planets? How about shifting star systems? Hell, why not just collapse the entire galaxy in upon itself if size truly isn't relevant? The person who said that had to visibly exert himself to lift a single starfighter out of the muck, and he was one of the most powerful force users of his time. In Episode II, Dooku managed to escape by dropping a small cluster of large stones and forcing Yoda to focus completely on diverting their path. Star Wars isn't Dragonball Z, and every time some author or game designer tries to one-up everyone who came before him and show off their pet Super Saiyan Force Conduit, it makes me cringe.

23. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    It's not supposed to be taken 100% literally

24. Scars Unseen

Feb 28, 2013
    Yup. That's my point.

FatSmel likes this.
  25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yoda ain't no girl.

No, he managed to escape by dropping a pillar on Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Apparently you've decided that point is "Star Destroyer". But does that make it the official cutoff?

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.