main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Why did Maul send his holo to the Jedi Council?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He didn't fear the Jedi, but shouldn't he worry about his master would discover he was alive and come for him? From later plot, we see he was still in great fear of his master and didn't settle any useful defense against him.

Cynicalx likes this.
  2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    And this is why we need a LACWAC random question thread...

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He wanted them to know how hard he had been working on his pecs:

[​IMG]

eukaryote, K'Kruhk, eht13 and 4 others like this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's not like he controlled Mandalore later, even that didn't help a bit, at that time he had no help beside Talzin(she might not come to face Sidious) and his brother, and he sent his location.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    All he cared about was getting revenge on Obi-Wan at the time, so he showed what he was capable of doing so that Obi-Wan would have to come and face him. And what Anakinfan said, because the Jedi Council did look impressed by those pecs :p

Darth kRud likes this.
  6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    He also wanted to demonstrate all the vocabulary he had learned from Morley, the snake.

7. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    He wanted to have revenge against Kenobi, he wanted him to come to Raydonia and face him. Simple as. I thought it was quite a cool scene, to be honest - very dark.

As far as Sidious, Maul didn't stop and think that Sidious might have control over things like Jedi transmissions, after all how could he? He wasn't aware of how deep his Master might have already gone to control the Jedi. Remember the Jedi and the Republic are separate identities, though the Jedi Order might serve them, the Republic shouldn't be able to gain access to every transmission being made to the Jedi Order. Maul's survival was considered an "internal matter" without a concern to the Republic in any case.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He is the chancellor, the Jedi would discuss with him for sure. And they indeed did.

I remember Anakin told Palpatine about it first, in the comic or something like that.

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    If he just wanted to lure Obi Wan out, he totally could just let Savage show up in the holo and threaten Obi Wan, since Savage also has the reason to hate Obi Wan.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think Maul figured Palpatine would know anyway.

Cynicalx likes this.
  11. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    At first maul just wanted kenobi, he didnt have this master plan. that came afterwards

Cynicalx likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think so, otherwise he would kill Obi Wan right there after he captured him and he would not let Obi Wan and Ventress go in the end of S4. He had something in his mind when he regained his sanity back, even mentioned "the war had started without me" and calling his master "the most powerful being in the galaxy".

13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Because the writers didn't have the foresight to take that little detail into account, making Maul look like an idiot. Also seemed risky to trust that Obi-Wan would come alone. Mace was ready to send the cavalry and expend all force necessary to capture Maul. Maul's just lucky that

A. Obi-Wan wanted to clean up his own mess.
    B. Yoda is a moron
    C. Mace didn't say "**** you guys, I'm sending a fleet in to blockade the planet and all necessary force to secure the planet and capture Maul."

eukaryote, K'Kruhk, eht13 and 3 others like this.
  14. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    I like to think Yoda's little look to Mace in that scene was him silently saying "Remember the last time you took in a full strike force on a whim? Yeah, that's what I thought, cool your jets Mace."

cwustudent and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well, Sidious is the real problem, especially Maul might spoil his secret out.

16. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    I have mixed feelings because the stronger you make Maul the weaker you make Sidious, possibly. You want Sidious to be so powerful, but in doing, does that make Maul a weaker sith? Maul doesn't know sith lighting? There seems to be a bunch of things Maul should have learned during his last 10 years in exile. Kenobi learned the disappearing act during his exile between ROTS and ANH. Maul should have found some dark sith holocron or crystal or sith spirit or something to help him rival Sidious. I guess Sidious is the better man and that is why he got his dog Maul back.

I don't want to see Sidious kill Maul, but maybe Sidious should because Sidious is suppose to be the most powerful being around. But killing Maul makes Maul a wimp maybe. Maybe we don't have to worry if the show is cancelled.

17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Sidious needs to remain more powerful than Maul, but I don't think that the gap in power between Sidious/Mace/Yoda and everyone else needs to be HUGE. The only real on screen evidence for that even is simply the awkwardly shot scene in which Sidious takes out 3 Jedi Masters.

Mace got the upper hand over Sidious, Sidious had a harder time with Yoda, Dooku fought respectably against Yoda, Dooku is increasingly struggling against Anakin, Obi-Wan defeated Anakin, Obi-Wan fought Savage and Maul, Maul fought respectably against Sidious, etc. etc. etc.

Sidious, Yoda and Mace seem to be the best, but they need not be gods among mortals. I actually like to see each of them a bit vulnerable. I do think that Sidious is most interesting when he's in a vulnerable position, like when he has to manipulate Anakin to save him. He's not as interesting when he is portrayed as invulnerable.

18. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013

Well, he didnt let them escape... They left with the cockpit. they couldnt control the ship. I think when Kenobi escaped thats where he came up with his master plan. He wanted to torture obiwan, and didnt wanna kill him fast. so it made sense that he didnt kill kenobi in S4

19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    To answer your questions:

Maul probably doesn't know Force lightning because Sidious did not intend for him to be anymore than a Sith assassin. In the novel Darth Plagueis, Plagueis and Sidious are the only two true Sith Lords; Plagueis allowed Sidious to train an assassin so long as he did not train Maul as a Sith Lord apprentice.

I doubt Maul could have learned much of anything while he was hiding on Lotho Minor. Keeping himself alive through the Dark Side had made him little more than a rambling, insane, rabid animal and he did not seem to have his wits about him until his mind was restored by Mother Talzin. No chance of him finding a Sith holocron during that time period, as he was stuck in the trash planet. He seemed to have lost more than a decade of his life on Lotho Minor, making his seemingly improved skills after restoration all the more impressive considering that he hadn't seem real action in 11 years.

I don't see how Sidious killing Maul would make the latter a wimp, as you said, Sidious is the most powerful Sith around, as he proved to his erstwhile apprentice in The Lawless.

Seerow likes this.
  20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    This is the Clone Wars, Sidious is the mastermind behind the whole war and controlling each side, of course he should be the most powerful villain both in raw power and in intelligent. Maul is just a minor part compare to the Republic VS CIS war, he doesn't even connect with later stories beside the non canon Old Wounds.

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    C. would've been a great episode.
    [face_sigh]

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Probably the best explanation. He may well have assumed he'd been sensed through the Force.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    And he would be right to assume that.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know why he would assume that. Nobody sensed him for the previous 10 years that he had been alive.

Yoda's ability to sense him abruptly seemed stupid and redundant if the story involved Maul sending a message to Obi-Wan anyway. None of the Jedi can sense Ahsoka's guilt/innocence because the Dark Side surrounds everything and clouds their vision? They don't sense Dooku's 10 years of evil and dividing the Republic presumably because of the Dark Side clouding their vision? But Yoda can pinpoint Maul clearly, the guy that should be surrounded by the Dark Side?

:-B

K'Kruhk likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    How do we know Palpatine didn't?

Cynicalx likes this.