main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Why did Maul send his holo to the Jedi Council?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    He sent his holo because he was placing an order for chicken wings :p

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    We don't know beyond a shadow of a doubt, but that raises the questions as to why he didn't either fetch or kill Maul sooner? If he had some use for Maul, why wait for him to "become a rival?"

And a tangential question is if Maul intended to become a rival and ultimately take out his former master, why not just expose Palpatine to the Jedi? Divide and conquer by destabilizing Republic and Jedi cooperation. Instead he acts like it's some big surprise when Palpatine makes a move against him.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps Palpatine wanted control of the criminal underworld?

4. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Palpatine could do that regardless using Dooku - just as he was able to get a foot in the slave market via Dooku. Instead he waits 10 years for Maul to take a course of action that hinged on so many independent variables falling in just the right way?

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Palpatine can easily predict Talzin, it seems.

6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Talzin's actions themselves hinged on Dooku failing to carry out Sidious' orders to kill Asajj --> Asajj fails to kill Dooku with help from Nightsisters --> Asajj fails to kill Dooku with help from Savage --> Savage goes rogue and gets help from Talzin --> Savage retrieves Maul who is restored --> Savage gets pwned by Maul --> Maul unites Underworld but then throws them under the bus to seize Mandalore --> Palpatine takes control of what Maul had built up?

That's a whole punch of variables Sidious would have to successfully predict, beginning with Dooku failing.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Sidious predicted them all, I think.

8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I remember according to some TCW comic EU, Palpatine didn't know until Anakin told him about it, he was very surprised when he heard it.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    EU and TCW don't belong in the same room.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    TCW is EU as well.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Ok then, TCW and the rest of the EU don't belong in the same room.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, it only has a high canon level, unless they contradict with each other, EU is canon as well.

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I have answers for this stuff, but at this point in the discussion we're getting into pure interpretation, so I just want to be clear that this is my interpretation and I'm not attempting to say this must be definitively what happened.

Even before TCW, I always thought of the dark side clouding the Force for the Jedi in the PT as something Palpatine was able to do intentionally because he just had that masterful of a grasp on the dark side of the Force. It's a skill. That's one part.

The other part is that for the past 10 years before his "revival," Darth Maul is effectively dead. His mind was totally destroyed by the lengths he had to go to using the dark side of the Force to keep himself alive. So he wasn't giving off the Force "aura," if you will, of his true self, or of any competent Force-user with full command of their faculties. There was nothing to sense. That's the other part.

So when Darth Maul first "returns," it creates a disturbance in the Force, partially because of the immense Force powers it took to "fix" his mind and body, and partially because after he's healed he's "feeling" the galaxy with the Force with full command of his faculties for the first time in a decade. But since he's off on his own and Darth Sidious doesn't have immediate knowledge of any of that, he's not using his dark side Force powers to hide it as he is to hide so many other things. That explains why Darth Tyranus and Yoda were able to sense him, while the Jedi Council couldn't sense Ahsoka's innocence. It fits Palpatine's plans to severe Ahsoka from the Jedi Order due to her ties with Anakin, and to hide Dooku's dark side dabbling pre-Ep. II for obvious reasons, so he has a vested interest in clouding their vision on these issues. But with Maul, I would assume he senses him for the first time at around the same time the others did.

Hercu Dogla and Circular_Logic like this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No he didn't sense it like Yoda did.

Cynicalx likes this.
  15. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think to this day Maul had no idea and did the things he did at random.

16. Cynicalx

Cynicalx Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2013

Palpatine would head over there and deal with him, so he didn't.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    He wanted to show that he is back and better than ever and won't stop till he takes over the galaxy starting with by killing Kenobi