main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's a Dredd riff.

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    ^ Bingo, whatever you say hotshot

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't get lippy, perp!

4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    What you say rookie ? We let it go ?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, you ever get around to reading The Apocalypse War? It has one of the all-time great Dredd lines at the finale.

6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I'll PM ya bout it you being the Dredd guru,

back to Luke :)

ok even more reason to dislike her writing, she writes her villains in a shining light and any jedi hero as a bad guy...that pulls me out of stories pretty easily when one book decides to portray the ever good hero as the bad guy once the author gets to write them. They should have her only work on non-force sensitives but it seems her working relationship with LFL and Del-Rey had its share of issues.

enough with Annie :p

Cause as Ben has mention Han and anyone around Byss was subtly influenced to their darker emotions, of rage, aggression, fear, etc. So Han being OOC distrustful of his brother in-law actually works due to the DS nexus.

that's another issue NJO didn't handle well with Luke. His reasoning for not acting earlier on in the war, Invasion does seem to fix this problem but sadly with the halt of the series it seems we won't get more opportunities to explore his aid during the war effort.

=D= couldn't say it better myself, when all is said and done isn't this all moot point ? Strictly from the films and GL's quote we know Luke is Anakin 2.0, if people don't want to believe it despite the sources, etc, then that's their problem not ours. I have a feeling EU will become perhaps the new infinity line.

exactly, that's a pretty good majority of the Force sensitive population. And as Iron Lord said she portrays both Dooku and Ventress as sympathetic...what does that tell her about her writing ? Portraying the bad guys in a different light o_O

bingo

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Might be that she took Mace Windu's "Dooku is a political idealist" comment way too seriously. Still, few villains see themselves as villains- and if you're showing their own thoughts- of course they'll be in a better light.

8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Unless they're Cronal, Vader, Palpatine etc. I can understand her demonstrating the villain in a somewhat understandable light, especially since both Ventress and Dooku felt scorn by the OJO but the fact she doesn't give the same opportunity to the hero jedi bugs me. Mara a character known for preparation, tactics, decides to NOT let Luke know about Jacen ????!?! And Luke becomes a vengeance killer !?!?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's a fine line between rendering a villain understandable and making that rendering justify said villain. For me Traviss, though not the only perpetrator, crosses that line badly. Then again, from what's on record for her, it's clear she can't accept the notion of clearly defined good and evil, even in a fantastic setting - everything's merely a point of view to her.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Except possibly for "slavery and collaborating with slavers".

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ehhh, they're just free-market entrepreneurs getting around burdensome government regulations don't you know?

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Except when they're Jedi like Sifo-Dyas ;)

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    But it was all to protect the Republic kiddies from the evil confederacy! You don't want those kiddies to be threatened do you? You do? What sort of deranged lunatic are you? ;)

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Hmmm... reminds me of someone Sithy...

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    "From her point of view the jedi are evil....":rolleyes:

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A neat little Easter story:

My wife and I are at the church for an Easter service and the opening part of the sermon has the question: Who was your hero as a kid?

Any guesses as to who got the first mention?

No?

Sure?

Luke Skywalker.

Nuff said.

17. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
  18. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
  19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  20. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I find the connotations behind that to be a bit...scary. Interesting. But scary.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    !?

Oh come on, there's no sinister agenda here - other names that got thrown in were Fireman Sam, Superman, Dan Dare and Indy.

Just kind of cool that Star Wars and Luke got first dibs.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ironically not James Bond ? ;)

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    and the connotations are he like Luke as a child ? I'm sorry I don't quite follow. :confused:

24. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    No, that kids view fictional people as heros--I'm not sure what that says as us as a culture.

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well as long they know they're fictional, I see no harm in it. real live heroes are harder to find and discern now a days and it's easier to admire or aspire to certain fictional heroic traits when they're put on movies. Honestly though this is more a discussion on society and ethics then it is on Luke's characterization...changing topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.