main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Barriss be redeemed?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ouch man. Ouch.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  2. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    I have another picture but Seerow will get pissed if I post it again.
    But I love Barriss.But that picture makes me laugh.

3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    When a Dooku voodoo doll has appeared in this series, a statue inhabited by a malevolent spirit is not grasping at straws. I wasted my time and bothered to search through this thread to see if you had any alternative explanations, but I find the lack of your ideas disturbing.

4. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    That's because there is no explanation other than Barriss turning dark on her own volition. Evil statues have never been a part of Star Wars lore nor was any such thing ever hinted at in the show itself. I actually liked Barriss too, but if I learned that your theory was true it'd be hard to view it as anything other than an ***pull and terrible storytelling. What's done is done.

I know you liked Barriss as a good guy, but that character is gone. Just like Savage Opress is gone, something which I personally didn't like but came to accept with time. Maybe someday you'll also come to accept that writers don't always write their stories the way you want them too. And that applies to everybody.

5. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    No. Redemption is only for 1 person. Unless it's strictly EU written material.

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Well considering TCW is (was) EU, then we're in luck!

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I hate what they did to Barriss.

Why they skipped using Vergere is beyond me.

rumblewagon likes this.
  8. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    But she wasn't active during the Clone Wars.

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Which makes not using the fresh Fosh chicken head, even harder to fathom...

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    She was with the Vong, brah....

not that I care either way.

I haven't even seen the S5 finale.

11. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Do you want a prize or something?

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Personally, Jacen and his Chicken headed master do not exist in my canon... [face_devil]

but I'd rather see her goofy story get retconned instead of this nonsense with BC.

13. lordhadrian

lordhadrian Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2013
    Folks, a few years ago, I went to a fantasy convention in Minnesota, a general fantasy convention. Very nice. In one of the convention rooms, a trial was taking place. In the center of the room was a chair, and sitting in it was a life sized stuffed Jar Jar Binks. The prosecutor in the case was a guy dressed as Ming the Merciless (I am not kidding). The crowd was made up of people from all genres of fantasy, and when "Ming" demanded a verdict, the crowd had almost unanimously cried "guilty"!!!

People lined up. The Jar Jar Binks doll, guilty of crimes against all fantasy, was strung up and beaten with a bat like a pinata by people dressed as elves, star trek characters, DC/Marvel characters, anime characters, robots, etc. We are talking the ENTIRE multiverse! They literally beat the stuffing out of this doll.

Now, what does this have to do with Barriss? Jar Jar was guilty of not only being a particularly useless character, but for his lack of contribution to science Fiction Fantasy in general. Besides giving the Chancellor supreme powers, his contributions to Star Wars were incredibly negligible.

Barriss, on the other hand, was in a Heroine's journey much like Ahsoka. Young girl, thrust into adventure, defying the odds, fighting evil, and ultimately fighting a corrupt authority. THE TRUE crime in this is that, with the cancellation of TCW, she cannot finish this journey, and being selected as the guilty culprit for this last episode, her place in Star Wars history has been so grieviously altered that her final destiny (formerly Order 66) is now in a place of uncertainty. Like Snow White who has bitten the apple, and Sleeping Beauty who has touched the poisoned flower, this character has been left in a metaphorical state of death. This character, whom many of us have followed, certainly does not deserve to be left in limbo like this. I can remember the days when she was buried in tons of snow on Ilum, almost left for dead with Ahsoka on Geonosis, and begged to be killed because of the brain worms. I remember "The Approaching Storm", the "Medstar" adventures, etc. This is an exemplary character with a rich history, and I find it obscene that Barriss will be left in this death state, while someone like Jar Jar is left to roam free and celebrate at the end of a modified "Return of the Jedi" movie. Jar Jar, whose only true value in Fantasy was to give real street cred to previously disregarded characters like Wesley Crusher, Doctor Who #6 and Minmei from Robotech.

Folks, there's a heroine's journey that is left incomplete. Now, you can disregard EU canon in favor of Clone Wars canon, you can chalk it up to "battle fatigue". fair enough. Barriss Offee, having no previous episode showing a wear down of her senses, is now a misguided Jedi who screwed up. People got killed, and she made errors in judgement. The war broke her resolve. Fair enough.

But I put it to you, Star Wars fans, that this character, by virtue of her previous record in the Jedi order, at least deserves a chance to be redeemed, or to resolve her story, preferably some kind of resolution with Ahsoka Tano

The Defense rests

Circular_Logic and rumblewagon like this.
  14. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    This is truly terrifying. I can see why GL wanted to sell off his company when there's these kind of whackos about.
    It's almost like not a single Disney executive even bothered to find out what the Clone Wars was about - or evaluate its success in bringing Star Wars to another generation. It's like they saw Pixar and Lucasfilm Animation on the company list and decided they only need one animation company. They are completely unconcerned with the resolution of character fates.

SlashMan likes this.
  15. lordhadrian

Mar 10, 2013
    I should state thatdo not particularly hate Jar Jar Binks, I was a witness to the events I stated a moment ago. I just think that if Jar Jar gets to have a free ride to Episode VI, I would think I'm not entirely out of place in hoping that Barriss Offee gets a shot at finishing her place in Star Wars, be it through a novel, graphic novel or other form

rumblewagon likes this.
  16. lordhadrian

Mar 10, 2013
    "This is truly terrifying. I can see why GL wanted to sell off his company when there's these kind of whackos about."

Yeah, they were ina rather mob frame of mind that day. This event was about 5-6 years ago, but it was incredibly vivid

rumblewagon likes this.
  17. lordhadrian

Mar 10, 2013
    Personally, all dramatics aside, I can accept that Filoni and Lucas can change canon. I can accept that the war has worn Barriss down to make terrible choices, errors in judgement (it happens to soldiers, or even Keepers of the Peace). The things that personally bother me are:

She can sneak up on Ventress
    Is Anakin's combat equal
    Actually KEEPS the most damning evidence (red sabers) because "they suit her" when she already has one
    is FULLY TRAINED(???) in dual lightsaber combat against one of the greatest Jedi
    Once again, no previous record of faltering in her friendships or her Jedi values.
    Framing the one Jedi who would understand her the most (Though I accept that it's the story element)

Wookiepedia couldn't justify this. And frankly, neither can anyone else. Filoni and Lucas just magically said it happened, and that's the only true justification for this predicament. Which is fine. I accept that.

Let's be honest. Barriss was thrown under the story bus to save Ahsoka. I can appreciate Filoni wanting to save Ahsoka, since it was the big question on everyone's mind. Using Barriss as the culprit, while probably the most logical choice to create this drama, I consider it a heavy price to pay. Both characters are, in their own way, victims. You can enjoy the episode, call it great if you want. You can accept it as final canon. And you can accept Barriss' guilt in this, and call for punishment. You have the right, though frankly I'm suprised that there aren't a whole lot more bull**** cards being thrown on the field over some of this.

To me, the whole argument of "I can see it happening" or "Just because no previous episode showed it doesn't mean it's not there" are really sort of cop
    out arguments. Dick Cheney used to use these arguments to justify invading Iraq, so as far as I'm concerned they are invalid.

And yet, here we are, fans justifying Barriss' place in this when it was....really kind of stretched logic in the writing

But, It's there now, irreversible, and cannot be undone. As far as I'm concerned, she took the fall to get Ahsoka to quit the Jedi for sake of story, Which is fine. No harm no foul. I just consider that another reason she deserves a better chance, or at least some kind of resolution. Maybe in a novel or comic book, but both Ahsoka and Barriss have more story to tell to complete this turn of events. As a Barriss fan, I should hope there is a chance for it in the future.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I have to agree with other people who have said they should explain it by saying Bariss is still suffering from the brain worms. They must save canon at all possible times!

rumblewagon likes this.
  19. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    When did Lucas ever care about "saving canon" when it comes to the EU?

Lucas has never seen the EU as anything other than a cash-in, and has never cared two rat's g-strings about anything in the EU other than that the royalty checks didn't bounce. I'm sorry, but anyone who invested any time, effort, money, or emotion in the EU thinking that Lucas respected it or took it seriously got played like a Nintendo 3DS on Christmas morning. This is in no small part because George Lucas hates his fans, and especially hates any adult Star Wars fans.

The good news is that Disney does not share this attitude, and that creating a permanent "second class citizen" category of stories simply is not how Disney does business. Continuity and canon will be respected under Disney, with the only bad news being that it will be the continuity and canon that we they will create starting with Episode 7.

20. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    The only justification is that the combination of brainworm "damage" and bota caused Barriss to go (temporarily?) insane; or to have a severely distorted sense of reality. Or perhaps an enhanced sense of what is to come in the future. At any rate, it is the only defense she has at this point.

21. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    George Lucas hates his fans?!?!? I don't think so. These fans are the same fans that made him millions and millions of dollars.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sure he hates some of his fans.

23. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    That proves that the fans love Lucas, not the other way around. That's how dysfunctional relationships work: One side provides love, affection, and sacrifice, and the other greets those with scorn and contempt.

The relationship between Lucas and his fans has, since at least 1999, been a dysfunctional, abusive, sadomasochistic one.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Can't blame GL for hating some of his fans - some of them are obnoxious, bullying, name-calling, people. (SOME!) One can disagree without being disagreeable and some fans have taken disagreeable way beyond distasteful to disgusting. But I like to think they're a very vocal minority of fans.

This idea of "GL caring only for money, not fans" strikes me as ludicrous. GL takes his money and pours it back into offerings for us fans. He's not buying fancy yachts or consultations with Donald Trump. He's taking his Disney profits and using it for the benefit of others.

So he doesn't care for the EU - so what. He could have said "no EU tie-ins" if he'd wanted but he allowed the EU with the statement they can play in his sandbox but he's not bound by the EU. Fair enough.

25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    As much as I'd like to see Barriss resume her previous path, it's just not that simple. Mind manipulation was already used in this arc, so having it used again might seem redundant. But I'm open to different ideas.

Barriss' fate in Order 66 goes a bit beyond EU to me because it was scripted and almost made it to the screen. But I guess like everything else not shown in the movies, it's still subject to change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.