main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was bringing back Maul a good idea?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CaptainRex115, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Was brining back Maul a good idea

1. Yes!

40.7%
  2. Nah

38.4%
  3. Not sure

20.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Those bastards!

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Someone a while back compared Maul in TPM to essentially filling the role of a "dragon." And I feel that is an apt comparison. Sidious is the mastermind villain - the evil sorcerer. And Maul is his evil dragon sent to capture the queen. He said a handful of lines and pretty much just served as the beast for the heroic knights to fight. Hiss whole purpose was to pretty much just look cool and pose a challenge for the heroes to overcome. He need not have any further development than that. In TCW Lucas gets the idea to bring him back and develop him into something more. But I am going to assume that only a fraction of the millions of people around the world that have seen the films have seen TCW - in my personal life I don't know a single person that watches TCW other than myself, though the majority have at least seen some of the films, even if they didn't like them.

I don't think it can be assumed that everyone is going to know what happened in TCW and how Maul got brought back and how he had been developed. So if Episode VII were going to build upon TCW, they would have to recap all of this which would just be awkward to bring the audience up to speed on why Maul is still alive (Spider-Maul held together by Force and garbage [face_sick])

I think the prevailing perspective is that you would see Maul alive in Episode 1, he will never be mentioned again from episodes 2-6, many people are going to have no knowledge of TCW, and then he just shows up again in Episode 7?

I highly, highly, highly doubt that will ever happen.

Death T and eht13 like this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Durge could fit the role of Maul very well, with less retcon and inconsistency.

4. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Maul is "the dragon" who wants to be the "Dragon Master", which is appropriate for the Sith. The Master holds power and the Apprentice seeks it. If the Apprentice becomes good enough to take the Master's place, he kills the Master and does so. This is implicit and understood by all who walk the path of the Sith.

As Darth Talon once put it to an apprentice who asked what happened if he became more powerful than she, she replied "Then you kill me, and I die happy knowing I taught you well."

5. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    The recent "New Force Powers & Other Force Feats in The Clone Wars" thread got me thinking that Sidious's plans for Maul were tied to his foiled plans in the episode Children of the Force:

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I definitely don't want Darth Sidious or Darth Maul in the ST.

7. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I voted No.

Maul coming back - not massively believable, but I guess it can fit with the greater Star Wars universe (heck, Maul wasn't even the first). And obviously there was potential for stories (as the Mauldalorians arc demonstrated).

But the big thing that makes it a no go for me?

Obi-Wan doesn't learn.

Obi-Wan chops Maul in half. Maul then falls down a really long shaft. And yet, Maul is able to return from almost certain death, now half-machine. Obi-Wan encounters him. Knows he isn't dead. The lesson here is: Sith are really, really difficult to kill. Decapitation is probably the only safe bet.

And yet Obi-Wan leaves Vader limbless but alive on Mustafar.

Now Obi-Wan looks like a massive idiot for letting Anakin live. Some may say he already was, but at least you could read into that moment that Obi-Wan still cared too much about Anakin to actually kill him, and yet was so angry he wanted him to suffer (quite a deep emotional vibe, I think). Post-TCW, Obi-Wan is a tool, and the mechno-Vader we all know and love should come as no surprise to him.

I mean, compounded on this, TCW doesn't use Maul to his full potential. Here's a guy who was in on all Sidious's dealings, completely aware of his secret identity. He should be able to cause major havoc on the political scene. Plus, there's the barely-touched aspect of Obi-Wan's feelings about the guy who killed his master, who he should have killed, thought he had killed. He should have (a) a misplaced sense of guilt, now that Maul is committing new atrocities, and (b) an overwhelming need to take him out once and for all, bordering on the dark side.

Perhaps an alternative would have been to have a Maul copy - a clone, Nightsister doppelgänger, whatever. I mean, this would be kept from the audience. Savage finds Maul, they team up, Obi-Wan gets word and has various feelings. We get the "Maul forms his own faction" story, and all the while Palpatine is nervous that Maul could reveal everything. Then when Palpy actually confronts Maul, he discovers it isn't his old apprentice, and takes him for his own purposes.

The reason for the plot - I guess it could be one of Mother Talzin's schemes, preferably tying in to some brilliant season-spanning arc that everyone loves.

Yeah, OK, this is starting to sound a bit crazy. But it's late here, and I just lost an hour. Sue me. :p

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I liked the idea at first. I just hoped he and his brother would be around longer, because they could have done so much more with them.

Ah, well.

9. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Yes you do...

10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You think this is Roger Rabbit or something? No he doesn't and I don't either. =/

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Palpatine's prophets did make a doppelgänger of Maul.

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I also say no to Maul doppelgangers in the ST.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    This would be the perfect villain for ST.

[​IMG]

14. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Was bringing back Maul a good idea?

At the time, yes. In hindsight, no.

15. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Lol you will see if he comes back he will be BOSS as usual...can't go wrong with maul

16. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011

Maul was brought up on mustafar

in wrath of darth maul or darth plageuis maul is handed to palpatine by a nightsister who wants maul hidden from mother talzin and is bought up on mustafar by a spider type droid who tortures and trains the infant maul.
    both books are tied into each other and you need to read both.

17. Nickster79

Nickster79 Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2013
    Getting forced into the sun is a hard thing to come back from :b

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's just one comic and it already got retconned by TCW a lot, we could just push the time to 19BBY.
    And he did come back in SWG I remember, not fully recovered though.

19. Nickster79

Nickster79 Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2013
    I'd be fine with it--one of the few things that really disappointed me about TCW was the lack of Durge.

20. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Durge is too much of a proto-Greivous to be a good fit in TCW

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Isn't telling people what to think fun?

No Maul, no Sidious, and for ****'s sake, no Thrawn in the ST.

If they're not going to have an original villain, then adapt the NJO and bring in Nom Anor.

22. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I swear to God, if Sidious comes back...

I mean, you may as well retroactively destroy the goal of the six film saga, amiright?

23. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    yeah, it is fun

[​IMG]

Death T likes this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think ST should have Maul or Sidious, their stories are over, but why did you dislike Thrawn? :eek:

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I got tired of Zahn telling me how awesome he is and I got tired of the other characters drooling over him like he's the Force's gift to the galaxy or something.

Want me to think a character is awesome? Don't tell me about it and don't show me that the other characters think he's awesome. Show me.

I'm having a similar issue with Mara Jade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.