main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not very. They're extremely self-contained. And good reads on top of that.

2. JevanShevu

JevanShevu Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2009
    You wouldn't be lost. Those books are very stand alone.

3. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Cool. I'll pick them up next! I just started reading Choices of One kinda on impulse. I figured Allegiance wasn't terrible, so maybe...Anyone have any input on this one? Is it worth the read?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked it- but I've seen a lot of complaints about Thrawn being portrayed as too smart, Mara being portrayed as too skilled, Vader being portrayed as too stupid, and Luke being portrayed as too passive.
    The same complaints were all levelled at Allegiance. If you liked Allegiance, you'll probably like Choices of One.

5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    And personally, I have to disagree with all the above complaints...

JevanShevu likes this.
  6. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Quick (stupid) question: Where does Tales from the New Republic fit into the novel timeline, particularly the Interlude at Darknell novella? I'm rereading some of the early EU and have never read this collection - figured I would slot it into my reading chronologically, but the timelines I am finding through Bing/google are not coming up with a list that includes this collection... Thanks.

7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    TftNR takes place all over the timeline, due to it being a collection of multiple stories. This is the current official placement for each story:

Interlude at Darkknell - 0 BBY, between Death Troopers and Shadow Games, shortly before ANH
    Jade Solitaire - 18 ABY, right before the Corellian Trilogy
    Gathering Shadows - 4 ABY, after ROTJ
    Hutt and Seek - 8 ABY, between TCoPL and Tatooine Ghost
    The Longest Fall - 3 ABY, after ESB
    Conflict of Interest - 7 ABY, between The Bacta War and Wraith Squadron
    No Disintegrations, Please - 10 ABY, after Dark Empire, with a prolonged flashback to 1 ABY
    Day of the Sepulchral Night - 4 ABY, right before "Gathering Shadows"
    Uhl Eharl Khoehng - 0 ABY, near the end of the year
    The Last Hand - 2 ABY, after SotME
    Simple Tricks - 12 ABY, between CotJ and Darksaber

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm finally reading the X Wing novels. Read RS, WG, and KT so far, working through BW. I know WS, IF, and SC continue the Zsinj arc from Stackpole's books, but I'm seriously considering skipping ahead to IR after finishing BW to complete the Isard arc, then going back to read WS, IF, and SC, with SOA last. Is that plausible, or should I read in chrono order?

9. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Isard's revenge, I thought was very weak.

Reading them in Chrono (or, really, Publication) order tends to be better (for all books, I mean), but you could probably get away with it for those. Just know that time has past a bit.

10. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    How much of Luke-Leia-Han is it in the post NJO-books? It's stupid but growing up with the Bantam-books, I don't really care for any other characters and I realize NJO was kinda the passing of the torch.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ha ha lol. Passing of the torch? Ha ha lol. Han, Luke and Leia are still in the spotlight and kicking butt.

12. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Really? To me the last half of NJO felt like Young Jedi Knights. Also where was Lando? Is he also still kicking? (Please, say it's so.)

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hah. Han Luke and Leia are still running around. The YJK generation is running around the Big 3 are still going strong. Lando is LOTF and FOTJ but not as much the Big 3. The Big 3 are in all of the DNT, LOTF and FOTJ books. Lando is in about half of them I think.

14. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    I've seen it referenced here as well as a few other places, but what the hell is Star Wood?

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Star Wars written by Brian Wood

16. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    I'm not as up to date on some of my SW authors. What did he write?

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  18. RedMadFalcon

RedMadFalcon Jedi Youngling

Apr 1, 2013
    Hello there, i'm in the mood for some Star Wars novels. But which one ?

I first read the Thrawn Trilogy about three years ago, when I was 14, but it was in French and the traduction was really awful. I barely remember the story.
    A year later i bought Allegiance and i liked it way much ! But the trad was still mediocre.

So I decided to make the jump to English and SotE was the first English novel I ever read ! It was great and then I wanted more.
    I read :
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Han Solo at Star's End ( not my kind of adventure)
    Knight Errant
    The four Rogue Squadron
    Cloak of Deception
    Darth Plageuis
    And I just finished Vector Prime. (I also have the Essential Reader and Warfare guide, and the Swtor encyclopedia as well.)
    I do not feel like diging too mutch in the post-ROTJ era since the sequel trilogy is coming, but i still want some galactic scale event...
    Any ideas ?

19. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    If you're interested in galactic-scale events, I would suggest finishing the New Jedi Order series, of which Vector Prime is the first book. That series takes place 25 years after the movies, but it's pretty good so I wouldn't skip it just because of what the sequel trilogy might do.

The conclusion of the war between the Empire and the New Republic takes place a few years before that series, in Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future, written by the same author of the Thrawn Trilogy and Allegiance. They're highly recommended books and very important to the timeline.

I would also recommend you read the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, written by Matthew Stover. It tells the same story as the movie but basically in a much better and more in-depth way. It's so well written that you would think you're reading an original story instead of someone else's adaptation.

Other good books I would recommend, despite not being really huge galactic-scale crises as such:
    Rogue Planet by Greg Bear - novel about how Obi-Wan comes to accept Anakin as his apprentice after Episode I
    Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover - novel about Mace Windu hunting down a renegade Jedi during the Clone Wars.
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous by Sean Stewart - Clone Wars novel about Yoda and Dooku's relationship
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor by Matthew Stover - Luke Skywalker fights an Imperial warlord about a year after ROTJ
    The rest of the Rogue Squadron books (assuming you read the first four): Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo Command, Isard's Revenge, Starfighters of Adumar, and Mercy Kill

20. JevanShevu

Aug 20, 2009
    Finish New Jedi Order, Then read The Dark Nest tril, then continue onto Legacy of the Force, and Fate of the Jedi. That should keep you busy for a loooooooooong time :DDD

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Why don't read Thrawn Trilogy and Allegiance in English?

Random Comments likes this.
  22. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Well, coming from me, an experienced SW fan, this question is hard to ask. But I want to introduce my girlfriend to the post-RotJ novels. However, I am having trouble picking which novels are essential for her to read, and which aren't. Can you guys give me any help here?

23. JevanShevu

Aug 20, 2009
    I'm trying to do the same thing. My girlfriend is starting Legacy of the Force. It is a good entry to Modern EU and it has enough backstory blurbs to inform of what happened in that 40 year gap.

24. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Yes!

I would suggest starting with Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor and the Thrawn Trilogy. I would consider those the most "standalone" of Luke, Han, and Leia's post-ROTJ adventures. TTT because it was written before all the other Bantam era books, and Mindor because it was written after them. If she likes those four and is interested in exploring more of that era's continuity, I would suggest following up with these:

X-Wing 1-7
    Rogue Squadron​
    Wedge's Gamble​
    The Krytos Trap​
    The Bacta War​
    Wraith Squadron​
    Iron Fist​
    Solo Command​
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    X-Wing: Isard's Revenge
    I, Jedi
    X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar
    The Hand of Thrawn Duology
    Specter of the Past​
    Vision of the Future​

Assuming she makes it that far, then you can see how she feels about starting the New Jedi Order series.

25. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    wrong thread