main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Mortis Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Mar 29, 2013.

?

So What Do You Think Of The Mortis Arc?

1. I Like/Love It

62.1%
  2. I Dislike/Hate It

15.5%
  3. I Have No Strong Feelings One Way Or The Other

22.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I'm enjoying the debates going on in this thread. The Mortis trilogy has inspired a plethora of questions about the nature of the Force itself that was only rarely explored in the movies. However polarizing it may be, this arc has succeeded in making us think about the very concept of balance between the Light and the Dark Side that seemingly tied the six movies together, i.e. the prophecy that the Chosen One would bring balance to the Force. I applaud Lucas and the TCW crew for tackling these esoteric concepts of the Force, even if the execution was very questionable at times.

As folks like 07jonesj and Jedi Master Chuck have noted, Qui-Gon Jinn's appearance and the need to follow the so-called "living Force" is a prime topic of debate with regard to the beliefs of the PT Jedi Order and the Sith Order. Drawing the contrast between the living Force concept versus the Jedi's own rigid belief system made me realize that the Order was definitely flawed and that it was likely the will of the Force that it be destroyed along with the Sith in order to truly bring balance to the Force, as evidenced in RotJ. The birth of Anakin Skywalker from the Force itself, as jones pointed out, seems to support this; even though all the choices he made were his own, he was ultimately a tool of fate, of the Force itself, and destined to one day bring balance.

I understand that many aren't too keen on the more philosophical aspects of Mortis, and that the arc could probably have just been a single episode (Overlords) without suffering in quality, but it was nonetheless interesting to see the series tackle these ideas about balance and fate. I agree that the ending of Ghosts of Mortis where Anakin sees his future and chooses to join the Son was a headscratcher, among other things, but ultimately these flaws don't take away from my overall enjoyment of the trilogy.

I'm definitely fond of the Ancients concept in fantasy and sci-fi, so the story of the Ones was fascinating to me, especially as they were expanded upon at the end of the Fate of the Jedi series. The environment of Mortis was certainly one of the arc's high points, with its ever-changing landscapes between Light and Dark reflecting the dichotomy of the Light and Dark Side embodied by the entities of the Daughter and the Son, respectively. My favorite scenes all occurred in Overlords, such as the appearance of Qui-Gon's ghost, Ahsoka's future self, and the scene where Anakin brings the Son and the Daughter to their proverbial knees.

If nothing else, one thing the Mortis trilogy got right was the fact that there was absolutely no mention of midichlorians. :)

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    These episodes were some of the best the series had to offer. No one can beat George's storytelling.

3. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I really liked the Mortis episodes, but, they really could've been two instead of three.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the trilogy the first time I saw it. No problems from except Anakin was brought back to the light side too quickly or in a cop out. We didn't even see him fight or maybe he did fight Obi-Wan for a second, can't remember. The Father just saved him. Lame. I wanted Ashoka and or Obi-Wan to save him like Luke did in ROTJ. I think the first one would have been fine by itself

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I watched it again this morning. Here's the aftermath.

[​IMG]

The over-the-glasses stare-down is for whichever writers drank from the Well of the Dark Side and decided this would be a good idea.

JackG, CT-867-5309 and 07jonesj like this.
  6. Hercu Dogla

Hercu Dogla Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2013
    I voted neutral on this one... It wasn't great but it certainly wasn't as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be... in my opinion anyways. My biggest complaint about it was that it was three episodes that kind of took away from the story going on at the time and came out of no where.

I did like the representation of the father, son and daughter though. The whole idea of balance has always been an interest of mine as one who has spent some time studying up on Taoism or Daoism (depending on who you talk to :p) which is a religion based largely around said idea of balance and harmony.

I also thought it was cool getting some more insight into the prophecy we've been hearing about. So little is known about it to see it brought up again was kind of nice. Wish it had, had a little more emphasis or closure but you know only so much they can do with 22 minutes.

All in all it was a mediocre arc that brought a little bit more insight into the ways of the force but seemed like it was there to fill some time. I'd say all three episodes would get somewhere between 5-7 in my score book so certainly not the worst episodes out there.

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Debatable....

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Looking at the poll results... wow, just wow. When I created this thread I honestly thought there would be more of a balance between the likers and the dislikers.

Anyway, the arc definitely generates some good discussion; I like that.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not surprised. I thought there were only a handful of us who hated it.

10. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    I thought there'd be more balance, from what I'd previously seen on the boards. Balance.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There can be no intervening in the will of the Force, Jack. Mortis must be loved by most.

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I love the bold move they took with the Force and the Prophecy of the Chosen One.

Stylistically, it might have been a bit too close to a combination of LOTR and Tron, but regardless, I immensely enjoyed the characters and how they mimicked future or past characters of their individual fraction of the Force.

And seeing adult Anakin getting to interact with Shmi and Qui-Gon was just incredibly.

minnishe likes this.
  13. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    The fact that Pernilla August and Liam Neeson reprised their roles from the PT was one of the best aspects of the arc; a big kudos to them.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Mortis would be one of my favorite arcs regardless, but having Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn is the icing on the cake. And now that we know what happens with Ahsoka her interaction with her "future self" is that much more meaningful.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Who is your favorite then?

16. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Like most things Star Wars, it was a decent idea with a fumbled execution.

17. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Agreed

Darth_Harmon likes this.
  18. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Maybe Matthew Stover, James Luceno or Jan Duusena and John Ostrander. Randy Stradley is also great.

19. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll take all of the above, add John Jackson Miller, Karen Traviss, and Sean Stewart, and that'd be my list of Star Wars writers easily comparable with Lucas' storytelling ability.

20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    And since most of those authors are able to co-exist, referencing each other's material, I think it's fair to bunch them all together and rate them against Lucas alone, who is seemingly unable to co-exist with anything that's not his own work.

21. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Rightfully so.. its his story other writers are lucky to fill in the gaps and have their work steamrolled by his

22. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    You're trolling... right?

You can't seriously believe that, can you?

23. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Sure I can, it's GL's story, he's the one who invented it. without him, those authors would be out of a job. he has the right to tell his story the way he wants to. That is reality. GL has the right to do whatever he wants and override any other book/comic/anything thats done by other people. Unless you consider George Lucas a troll and how the current canon system works trolling , then no, i am not trolling.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If he gives other writers permission to write in his universe, with his brand licensing their work and their getting paid for it, then later says "Oops, I'm changing my mind--just because I can," then yeah, he's trolling.

25. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    But it's in the contract that he has the right to override their work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.