main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The role of the Muppets in the ST (seriously)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barth, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    At this point I would rather see less CGI overall but I dont think puppets/muppets would cut it. More actors in costume though is something I hope that is seriously considered. Especially now with the level costume/makeup has come. There should be no real reason to CGI an alien in my opinion.

Think about this. I think one of the reasons why Jar Jar was so hated was because he was done with horrible CGI. IF he was costumed with an actor. He might not have been so horrible.

2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed.

Plus, CGI has really improved since the PT was made, so they should really be able to make some great creatures/environments/space battles. The PT did some groundbreaking work on CGI; I think the new series will take it a few steps further in realism and visual spectacle.

The Dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are a great example. I don't think the movies in general are great (in fact, beyond the first one, mediocre to really lame), but the dinosaurs were fantastic.

I think the use of CGI in the new SW movies will be amazing, the makers will see to it. I think the expectations are huge from every direction: fans, Disney, Lucas, and the makers themselves- guys like JJ and Arndt
    are going to come in with a big vision for a project like this.

I honestly don't think puppets will see the light of day in this.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I want CGI muppets! Miss Piggy, Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Ernie & Burt rendered in lovely CGI!

4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    CGI is fine, a long as its background stuff.

5. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    Yarael Poof could easily have been a practical effect.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Yes! The overuse of CGI is why I dislike RotS as much as I do and I'd be just fine with a muppet or three as aliens in upcoming SW movies.

Jcuk likes this.
  7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The first time I saw the Yoda puppet for Ep I was in a sketch on Conan Obrien. I thought it was made by the show for the skit, and was hilariously horrible looking. I was FLOORED when I learned that it was actually footage fro the film, and thus the real Ep I Yoda. Terrible.

CGI Ep II and III Yoda looked good, and obviously if he's gonna move around, CGI is needed, but still Empire/Jedi Yoda was the best!

kubricklynch and Jcuk like this.
  8. BountyHunter76

BountyHunter76 Jedi Master

Nov 2, 2012
    Muppets or Puppets in the ST... I think as someone referenced above, it may depend on the nature of the set design. If we get a lot of green screen sets, I'd say muppets/puppets are doomed.

However, if they do build out larger sets with real mud, lighting, dirt, wind etc (which would be awesome) I'd say a puppet or two has a chance to be seen. Even for background characters, I feel you can avoid the Uncanny Valley effect if real stuff is used.

LunarMoth likes this.
  9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Jeez. Non-traditional effects in the Classic Trilogy wasn't limited to "background stuff" whatever that means, and there is more CGI used in modern movies than some people think.
    That actually could have taken more work than was required just to put that swaying neck in the council room.
    Jar Jar would have been even more ridiculous as a costumed human, and still just as disliked.
    Why am I here?

10. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Muppets/puppets can be great when well used, as can completely CGI, but I would love to see puppets/costumes enhanced with CGI. As great as RotJ Jabba was, his eyes could be so much better. Same for ESB/RotJ Yoda. Absolutely fantastic work, but the mouth movements, eye movements, facial expressions could be so much better with some decent CGI work. (Both characters work tho, were both very believable thanks to the puppeteers and the actors interacting with them)

I want them to harken back to the puppet days of the past, but utilise the technology of today to bring the puppets into the modern era.

This is what my preference for the ST is.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Am I the only one who loves both puppets and CGI?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    No, I'd be more than happy with some entirely CGI characters, along with some puppets enhanced with CGI, along with some prosthetics enhanced with CGI. Nemoidians mouth movements could have used some CGI

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If there's going to be cgi characters were asked to invest in then the Gollum method has to be used. If you've done it properly then fingers crossed. If its background cgi (crowds, city scapes, etc) then fill your boots ILM.

14. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Similar to my thread but not quite what I meant or had in mind. I would love to see more traditional puppets. It would be a nice touch to give the movie a retro feeling.

15. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
  16. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Personnally, I like the use of puppets/muppets more than the use of CGI to create aliens.
    In my opinion, it feels more real to see an actual physical thing on screen than something that is computer-created.
    When I rewatch the PT, I can't help but think 'oh, Sebulba, Watto, San Hill and Grievous are computer-created'.
    Although they are quite well done (in terms of CGI), they just are not real.
    I think a lot of people love CGI because they have grown up with it.
    I still remember the bad use of CGI in the nineties that I just cannot really enjoy it.

Jcuk likes this.
  17. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
  18. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I heard they own everything of Henson's but CTW and the Sesame Street characters, some kind of grandfathered licensing exception.

19. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    It's a little more involved than that, but basically this is correct.

20. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Dad, whats a muppet?

21. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't think you can make a Noghri out of a muppet..... but it would be funny to see that creation

22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, it's not quite a mop and it's not quite a puppet, but man... [face_laugh]

So, to answer your question: I don't know.

23. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Henson's workshop does some cool puppet CG hybrids. Computer model controlled with a puppet, then you aren't limited to a "puppet" sized anything, but you can still get that "alive" feel that really great puppeteers can give you.

24. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I think not. Jar Jar is hated because he is an excessively goofy and annoying character that tried too hard to appeal to kids all the while speaking a clichéd-ridden, border-line racist dialect.

You can change the way a bad character looks all you want, but spraying perfume on a pile of sh** doesn't change the fact that it's still sh**. It's the substance that makes us truly hate or love a character, not his presentation.

Jcuk and Vthuil like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing the Muppets in the ST, but Star Wars isn't known for it's breaking the fourth wall humor.