main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Adaptations?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Sable_Hart, Mar 30, 2013.

?

Should TCW have adapted extant material?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    They are better because simply they are better. Maul comming back, savage, ahsoka.... i mean come on the EU doesnt even come close.... its like comparing a baby picture book to the greatest novel of all time.

And to be fair, anyone in the galaxy, including sidious or whoever you think is the strongest, would have lost being surrounded by 100's of gungan warriors. Also, dont underestimate the gungans. They are big, athletic, and good warriors. Jar jar was a cluts, the other gungans are nothing like that. theyre a warrior race.

2. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Grievous losing to Gungans was never really an issue for me; people imagine all Gungans to be as Jar Jar, but Filoni rightly pointed out that these guys are two-meter tall, powerfully muscular amphibians. Take away blaster rifles and they'd eat clones and droids alive.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    That is HIGHLY debatable. [face_plain]

JackG, Mia Mesharad, K'Kruhk and 3 others like this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah the problem wasn't getting beaten by Gungans. It was getting beaten by like three of them. I actually likes R2 and 3PO going shopping, its like an TCW done Rocko's Modern Life style where you have something really mundane which turned into a big deal. There's some great social commentary there. Poisoned Tea is only redeemable by getting dragged into importance by the Maul arc.

5. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I agree, except I think you got the descriptions the wrong way round. The visual stuff is clearly aimed to satisfy both children and childish adults (that would be all of us!), whereas the novels and stuff are usually written with adults in mind.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I expected Grievous to own the gungans. He gets beaten by Jedi time and time again, fans were disappointed in him losing all the time, I thought Gungans would be a means of throwing a bone to the fans and showing Grievous own a bunch of warriors, albeit not Jedi. Imagine my surprise when he gets owned by a handful. He was surrounded by gungans, but only a few actually attacked him and Tarpals was pretty much able to neutralize him single handed. Yeah, he sacrificed himself, but Grievous was not represented to be the brilliant tactician he was supposed to be. He was being out thought and out fought constantly.

Mia Mesharad, K'Kruhk and 07jonesj like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Aw, come on...you can't defeat an argument like "they are better because they are better."

8. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Bringing back a 2-dimensional character that had been dead after 10 years both in and out of universe? GENIUS! The EU did that with Palpatine, but pfffft, c'mon it's Maul! Alien Resurrection must be the pinnacle of cinema history. Bringing back Ripley just blew my mind.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Lets debate then...I'm all ears

10. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Tarpals lasted less than 10 seconds against Grievous in combat. Grievous's defeat owes far more to his own hubris and sadism than Tarpals' prowess.

11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  12. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011

No. Lucas and Filoni aren't deities, no need to treat everything they do as masterpieces. As you've said you've only read around five novels, you haven't read enough to judge them against each other. I think you're a bit too obsessed with this show.

The pre-2008 Clone Wars era was perfect, nearly piece of work had a link to prior ones, whereas in TCW the majority of arcs aren't brought up again, or the actions of them don't have an effect on future events.

Sidious would have wiped the floor with 100 Gungans. And that's even beside the point, Greivous wasn't attacked by 100 Gungans, he was attacked by around five/six. Pathetic from someone who has previously managed to fend off several Jedi at once.

13. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh c'mon, this again?

[​IMG]

No!

Contessa, 07jonesj, JackG and 3 others like this.
  14. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    • Maul was a 2D "dragon" in TPM. He simply said yes master a couple times and pursued the heroes. His claim to fame is that he was the first character on screen to have a double bladed lightsaber and was in arguably the best duel - choreography wise - in all of the films. He killed Qui-Gon and then was killed by Obi-Wan. This shallow character did not need to come back. The fact that he came back at all pretty much just opens the gates for anyone (like TRENCH ?! [face_frustrated]) to rise from the dead.
    • Savage served no purpose in the end. He was meant to stand in for Maul because Maul was dead. He was starting to become interesting but then Lucas just said "**** it" and brought Maul back from the dead as a... spider... Rendering Savage pointless as a lackey that says "brother" one hundred too many times.
    • Ahsoka was a monkey wrench thrown into the continuity of the films where there was zero indication that Anakin ever had an apprentice and it's just conspicuous that she is never mentioned. In ROTS Palpatine tries to drive a wedge between Anakin and the Jedi Council, you would think that bringing up Ahsoka's treatment at the hands of the Council would have been something that Palpatine would mention, yet he doesn't. She was shoehorned into the series for the sake of having a female character filling a role that should never have existed and then becomes way too important to events such that it's extremely hard to rationalize why she never got brought up - hell, even Shmi and Qui-Gon got mentioned.

15. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    As the Dark Lord's personal representative/cabana boy, I'm grievously offended that you would compare Sidious to the general.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  16. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    Enlighten me on where I compared the two? No? Ok.

17. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Easy there; it was a joke. Your angernerd!rage clouds your judgment, my young Padawan.

18. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    Actually, I'm a rank above you, Padawan ;)

19. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Maul's shallow character was precisely why Lucas brought him back in the first place. He was virtually a blank slate without any kind of character development but was also a fan favorite, so they figured "hey let's kill two birds with one stone" here. Yes, it was unnecessary and at the end of the day little more than fanservice, but it was decent fanservice in the end.

Savage...yeah, gotta agree with you on that one. With regards to his catchphrase, Savage was brought up in a culture that refers to other clan members as "brother" and "sister", so it makes sense for him to use the term. Though I can see how it might get old after a while. :p

I also agree with you about the gaping plot hole introduced by Ahsoka's introduction, but at the same time I thought they did a good enough job with her in the role they chose. She underwent huge character development, going from annoying to heroic, helped to flesh out Anakin's character and relationship with the Council, and her leaving the Jedi Order went a long way to make Anakin's descent to the Dark Side more believable. And her not being mentioned in Episode III really isn't something that can be helped at this point since she was brought in after the fact; you might as well ask why Maul, Ventress and Rex weren't mentioned either.

Seerow and Circular_Logic like this.
  20. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    I staged a coup about an hour ago. You've been Order 66'd, sonny!

21. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    K'Kruhk survived Order 66, sorry ;)

JackG and Mia Mesharad like this.
  22. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    By the Power of GreyskullFiloni, I'm in ur continuityz retconning ur fatez.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  23. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I think that something like Shatterpoint or the Republic comics would be better adapted as live-action. I can't see them working out well in an animated form. But I know that this would probably never happen.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Dark Empire sucks too IMO because of that reason. This isn't The Walking Dead, the dead should stay dead!

K'Kruhk likes this.
  25. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Atleast Maul's return was handled well. He was like the villain change up that happens in alot of kiddy shows around seasons 4 or 5. Something sorely needed since honestly because most of the villains had gotten boring, repetitive, and were limited in capacity thanks to being movie characters. A full flown OC big bad was what was really called for and not like Savage was.

07jonesj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.