main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd prefer not to wait a decade plus for it! :)

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Maybe, maybe not. I too would like invasion to get a conclusion but it doesn't seem as likely as Legacy or KotOR and their "War" arcs.

But this just seems lame for all their hype.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm wondering whether it's based on one particular draft, or if Rinzler is cherry-picking the more promising early ideas.

07jonesj likes this.
  4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Hmm, this concept still seems more like a curiousity than anything that would stand up well on it's own. I've read reference books and seen interviews on the creation of ANH, but I don't know if a product based on early ideas would actually be worth a purchase.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Screw you guys, this is awesome. The early drafts are crazy, classic-pulp fun full of interesting ideas we still haven't seen implemented. With art looking this good, this should really be something to look forward to. Right, Ulicus?

6. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Well...hm. It looks cool, I guess. For a novelty item, pretty neat. I'll definitely check them out.

Not what I was hoping for, though. At all.

I DO wonder, however, if this is going to lead to another EU set in this universe.

07jonesj likes this.
  7. Cad Bane

Cad Bane Jedi Knight

Mar 10, 2013
    So...

Unexpected series based on the proto-version of Star Wars... Hell ya, I'm sold. I just hope Rinzler goes crazy with this.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Anybody seen a date?

9. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    According to the Bleeding Cool article, September.

10. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Well now I want Del Rey to start publishing AU profiction!

11. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    AWESOME NEWS. I was just thinking about DH doing this a few weeks ago and here it is. WOW. I'm all for DH taking Star Wars and doing new things. When the comic STAR WARS was announced I was all for Brian doing his own thing and writing a new version of events. Hell I was all for a new versio nof ESB if he ever got to it. I've just been wanting something new and different. The Star Wars is about as close as I will get with that.

Not jumping for joy over Jonathan Rinzler. Seems to do the art books and making of books for Lucas Books, and seems to be more artist. Really don't know his qualifications for writing an 8 issue comic book series. Hope he turns out as a great choice.\

This has the opportunity to be this era's DARK EMPIRE.

12. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    His qualifications for writing the series is that he has actually seen, first-hand, the scripts & screenplays due to him working on the Making Of books.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Nothing like the defenders to come out and say that this is so cool. It's to be expected.

Seriously though, after taking everything into consideration, this is a safe release. Why? Well, we all know that Disney has not yet decided as to what they are going to do with their publising contracts: Del Rey, Dark Horse and what not. So there releasing something that will be interesting, be from the 1st Star Wars movie scripts which everyone liked and they get to show Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, Darth Vader, The Sith Knights in a different way. All in an effort to continue to garner interest not only for for Episode 7, but to continue to come out with interesting material in the event that Disney decides to change things once the contract is over and move the comics to Marvel. Not bad if you ask me.

It's possible since they are now doing a new star wars animated series in-house with their own Disney animators. Many of the lucas animaton employees are being laid off and the company consolodated. Who's to say they aren't going to do the same thing in the future? We don't know what Bob Igor has planned and his Disney Execs. We don't, we can wish, but thats it.

For those that wanted Dark Horse to finish the clone wars, its not going to happen. Remember, thats over. Disney cancelled it and decided to move on. At best, were only going to get maybe two additional episode release with the blue ray so that season 5 can have 22 episodes instead of 20. Then we probably will get a book that will detail all the cut material, scripts , scenes and all that stuff from the series. A coffee table book kind of thing. But thats it. Disney wants to maximize there profits and they can't do that with the clone wars because of the contracts that Lucasfilm had with Time Warner and Cartoon Network.

So all in all, not a bad announcement. A bitt over hyped, but better than a cancellation of you ask me.

So not bad at all and will buy

14. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Makes sense. Guess all he really has to do is edit down the script into 8 issues and maybe do some filler work.

Wish Archie Goodwin was still alive.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if this is Dark Horse's attempt to keep the Star Wars license.

16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    This is an unexpected announcement for sure, and while I'm not crazy about it, the idea does intrigue me. There's all kinds of crazy and neat ideas in the early Star Wars scripts, so this series could provide some entertaining out-of-continuity stories. That being said, I'll probably sit tight and wait for the trade.

I wonder when we'll get official word concerning the licenses with Dark Horse and Del Rey.

17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    This. This. This. A thousand times, this.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Wasn't Luke a cyborg in the original draft?

19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    This looks fun. I'm down.

20. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I've been waiting for this since 1987 when Starlog Magazine published an excerpt from the upcoming "official biography" of George Lucas, "Skywalking" by Dale Pollock! And 8 issues!!! I am super-stoked to own this, as individual issues & TPB! I recognize scenes from the script in the concept drawings: great stuff!!

Anyone ever see these??

[​IMG]

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    How I currently feel:

[​IMG]

RC-1991, Dark Lord Tarkas and cdgodin like this.
  22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yes, I often feel like wearing pretty dresses.

23. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Sounds cool. :)

24. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Lets just hope this will help DH in the long run. Do you guys think Dark Times is going to wind down soon? I am basing this off earlier comments here.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes, the story arc they announced today will be the end of it. Or at least, the overall Dass Jennir arc.