main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Showdown!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 31, 2013.

?

Best Episode of the Series?

1. Rookies

8.0%
  2. Grievous Intrigue

10.0%
  3. Overlords

6.0%
  4. Revenge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Lawless

42.0%
  6. Lair of Grievous

2.0%
  7. Landing at Point Rain

6.0%
  8. ARC Troopers

2.0%
  9. Carnage of Krell

12.0%
  10. The Wrong Jedi

12.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    From all Season polls, here are the LACWAC votes Top 10 episodes of the series, take your pick for favorite!

Episodes are the winners and runners-up from each of the season polls.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Can't believe I actually got to vote for my real favorite because it's on the list. That never happens. Also, got the first vote! Overlords all the way.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I voted for Landing at Point Rain

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Good selection. I picked ARC Troopers. It's just all sorts of win.

Runners up would be Overlords and The Lawless (from this list at least).

5. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    YESSSS SOO MUCH WIN.... i've been waiting for this thread! I'm gona hold off and think about this overnight and vote tomorrow. As of now it seems like for me it's Revenge vs The Wrong Jedi... although I shall wait on this.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Carnage of Krell. Great episode. My 2nd favorite in the series behind "The Deserter". Deep episode is so raw with the near execution of Fives and Jesse and then the heart-wrenching friendly fire scene. R.I.P. Waxer. The capture of Krell was epic. Then the cryptic scenes of Krell's imprisonment and execution. Voted.

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I went for Grievous Intrigue. LaPR and CoK are the next two best, in my books.

8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Since I did not write any explanation for my choice of Best Episode in Season 5, which so happens to be my choice for Best Episode of the Series, I will do so here.

I chose The Lawless. This episode had practically everything that appealed to me as a Star Wars fan; lots of action, great character moments, multiple emotional scenes, even a little bit of humor and plenty of fanservice. The Lawless was an intense and fast-paced conclusion to the excellent Shadow Conspiracy/Mauldalore arc with some of my favorite TCW characters going head to head, culminating in an epic final showdown in front of Sundari's palace.

First off, I thought the small doses of humor like Obi-Wan's reaction to the rapidly degrading Twilight, the small OT references like Obi-Wan stealing the Mandalorian commando's armor were quite welcome in an otherwise progressively darker and darker episode. The character moments were great as well. I have always been a fan of Satine Kryze's character, if not her overly pacifistic principles, and quite enjoyed the scene where she reunited with Obi-Wan. Bo-Katan, one of the best OCs in the series, IMO, also shows up with her Death Watch loyalists in the role of the "good guys", which was awesome. We get to see clearly that she truly has Mandalore's best interests in mind, and this potentially sets her character up to be one of those like Spar and the Mandalorian Protectors, who ended up restoring Mandalore's warrior past.Darth Maul and Darth Sidious were both delectably devious and menacing in this episode. In fact, this was the first and only time Sidious has ever appeared in the flesh in TCW (not counting his onscreen time as Chancellor Palpatine). That alone was probably enough to make this one of the best episodes in the series. The voice acting for these two particular characters was top notch. Absolute props to Sam Witwer and Ian Abercrombie.

The emotional aspects of the episode were top notch. In fact, this was for me, one of the most, if not the most, emotional episodes in the series. The death of the Satine was extremely well done and one of the best deaths in the series; a very tragic moment. Obi-Wan's silent expression was all that I needed to be truly sold on the scene. The emotional turmoil he must be experiencing is truly heart-rending. However, this particular scene is all the more powerful in the fact that it contrasts so well to how you knew Anakin would likely have responded. One only needs to recall the scene in AotC where Shmi Skywalker died at the Tusken Raider camp, and compare Anakin's response to his mother's death to Obi-Wan's response to the death of his beloved Duchess. This is why Obi-Wan is truly the quintessential Jedi, one who could never be "destroyed" by Darth Maul no matter how much the latter wanted to make him suffer.

To top off the emotional roller coaster, we bore witness to the death of Savage Opress, who went down in a truly epic lightsaber duel with Darth Sidious himself. He really could not have gone out in better fashion. His final words to Maul, "Brother, I am an unworthy apprentice. I'm not like you. I never was..." was very haunting and I absolutely felt sorry for all that he had gone through, despite the fact that he was a brutal and dangerous villain following his transformation by the Nightsisters. I got the impression that Savage's will was never truly his own after the Nightsisters got their hands on him, and death could finally give peace to the Savage who so cared for his brothers, Feral and even Maul himself. Furthermore, this scene even made me feel sorry for Maul, an impressive feat considering how just minutes earlier he had dealt Obi-Wan one of the cruelest and vilest blows a villain can deal to a hero; killing someone close to the hero. The facial animations in all of these emotional scenes were perfect.

But what ultimately brought this episode over the top was the awe-inspiring action sequences. The duel between Maul, Savage, and Sidious was probably the best choreographed duel in TCW ever, and one of the few I would ever refer to as "epic." The way Sidious was animated in his duel was faithful to his style in RotS, and it was impressive seeing his Force feats against the Zabrak brothers, as well as his toying with them. You never got the impression that Sidious was ever really threatened by the two powerful Zabraks, which goes to show just how powerful the Dark Lord truly was. The late Ian Abercrombie's voice acting was brilliant, and his words, "Remember, there first and only reality of the Sith. There can only be two, and you are no longer my apprentice. You have been REPLACED!" was truly chilling. You know Sidious means business when he considers you a rival. It was such a treat to witness arguably the best duelist in Star Wars in action, Kicking Ass and Taking Names.

This episode managed to conclude a number of major story arcs in the series, namely the whole pacifistic New Mandalorians and the fate of Savage Opress. In the former's case, the episode ends with a civil war between Maul and Almec's commandos versus Bo-Katan's loyalists, and I can definitely imagine that this situation can transition to the rise of the Protectors in the EU, avoiding potential contradictions with the story of Mandalore the Resurrector during the Clone Wars. The fate of Savage Opress was also wrapped up very neatly and in a satisfying manner. That said, the cliffhanger ending ensured that Maul's fate might go unresolved unless the final episodes in the bonus content contain it. Here's hoping we can see the end of Maul's story onscreen before the series is truly over.

All in all, this was a virtually flawless episode. The execution of the storyline and the animation were some of the best the series has ever offered to date. While not perfect, as the pacing could have been slower, it was as close to perfect as I've ever seen a TCW episode. The Lawless highlights the full potential of TCW; this is the series at its best, and it truly felt like Star Wars.

9. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The showdown between Grievous and Kenobi in Grievous Intrigue was great!
    Although I still think Grievous should have killed Koth. His survival was quite pointless.

10. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    So many great episodes there! Actually my four favourite episodes from the entire series are there, so I had a tough time choosing out of 'Grievous Intrigue', 'The Lawless', 'Lair of Grievous' and 'ARC Troopers'. All four of these episode are amazing, and they have some of the best fight scenes in the entire series.

I chose 'Grievous Intrigue', because if was such an action packed episode, and we got to see Grievous duel three different Jedi Masters! I felt that this episode really showed that Grievous was the strong warrior we're supposed to think he is, because not many characters could go up against three Jedi Masters, within a short period of time, and not lose to any of them. Sure he's not nearly as strong as he was in the micro series, but I reckon this is the best he's done in The Clone Wars.

I thought the storyline was great, and it lead on to another great episode. The fight scenes were awesome, and it was an overall exciting episode to watch, and it will definitely be an episode that I will continue to re-watch. 11/10, no questions asked.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Considering Duchess of Mandalore isn't on the list, I'll go with Rookies. Because I'm one of those people who thinks season 1 was the best overall.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rookies was my second choice.

13. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I can't vote on this poll, as I don't have an overall favourite episode of the show.

Different episodes achieve different things, some have fantastic action, others are emotionally wrenching, others still push character development in regards to the whole series. Some of the episodes are comparing apples to oranges IMO. Comparing Overlords to Landing at Point Rain is pretty futile.

Also miffed that neither Darkness on Umbara nor The General is on this list, as I felt they were far superior in terms of all-out action to LaPR.

14. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    I voted for The Wrong Jedi.

15. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Voted The Wrong Jedi for obvious reasons.

07jonesj likes this.
  16. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Some good episodes up there, but since the true magnum opus of TCW is not listed ("Massacre"), I will have to vote "The Lawless" for reasons provided by Circular_Logic.

17. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I voted for The Lawless.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm surprised people are picking The Lawless. Yes, it's a great episode, easily the best of Mauldalore, and yes it wraps up the stories of several key characters, but is this really TCW's best? I think in the long run the only memorable parts will be Satine's death and the final duel; but otherwise the episode is not 100% perfection, or as close to perfection as TCW can come.

Mr. Atom Bomb likes this.
  19. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I believe that TCW is "objectively" (a term I use very loosely) a superb episode. It's one of the few episodes with quality humor and appropriate homages. It displays the impotence and latent corruption of the Jedi Council while introducing a roguish side to Obi-Wan alluded to in the OT but rarely seen otherwise. Excellent dialogue (which is very rare for Star Wars as of late) and emotional interactions between all the characters, who are explored in new ways (Obi-Wan and Maul especially).

It ain't perfect: Bo-Katan's relationship with Satine was hamfisted and unnecessary; Satine's casual escape (she's not running like she should be) in the beginning and Bo-Katan's departing words to Obi-Wan are all clunky.

Probably the single greatest problem I have with the episode is that the moment Palpatine is shown on Coruscant, I (and I'd venture to say a lot of viewers) cease to care about anything else and want the episode to hurry up so we can see the Dark Lord kick ass. That's the reason I give "Massacre" the nod over "The Lawless" because its awesomeness was equally distributed. Sidious tends to lopside things horribly in his favor.

20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The Lawless.[face_coffee]

Sable_Hart likes this.
  21. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Ehh... my top two all time favorites are "Bounty" and "Duchess of Mandalore". :confused:=((

I'm actually pretty indifferent towards many of the episodes listed, so I'll go with "The Wrong Jedi." It was close between it and "Rookies", but the final scene in TWJ is just so beautifully lit/acted/scored that it gives it an unfair advantage.
    Other than those two, Overlords is pretty good on its own (I can't stand the rest of Mortis though), as are Landing at Point Rain and Carnage, but I certainly wouldn't call them the "best" the series has to offer.

Revenge and The Lawless on the other hand are two of my least favorite episodes, but that's a whole separate [horned] issue :p

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  22. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Okay well I guess it's time for me to make my decision, this wasnt easy...

I confidently vote for The Wrong Jedi as the best episode of The Clone Wars... Although the jedi who knew too much was my #1, this was my #2... Revenge, LOPR, and ARC troopers are all on my top 10 favorite episode lists... This episode was simply the best, it was good and extremely sad at the same time. Amazing dialog, VA work, and overall story. The saber duel was great as well. We get the conclusion on ahsoka, and a great one at that. seeing this character grow and change was a true joy.... on top of that Anakin was a true hero this episode, and a tragic character. This episode not only enhanced the clone wars, but it enhanced anakin as a whole, and all subsequent movies. going by just the movies, we see anakin whining because he didnt get master but he got on the jedi council... so he hates windu and the council. i thought that was a pretty weak reason for him to want to betray them. now i can 100% see why he did what he did in ROTS when he cut off windus hand. i can sympathize with him now and because of this show, and this episode in particular. anakin has risen into being one of my favorite SW characters of all time. Only character I like more is Kenobi. Anyways, this episode was extremely sad. I cried when i saw it live, and cried both times i rewatched it. i wonder if i will always cry from it. its just so sad :/ and im not one who usually cries at movies/tv shows. hardly ever. this is an exception. The only negative about this episode was palpatines voice.... like who the hell heard this guys VA job and was like "HELL YEAH THAT WAS AWESOME".... anyways, this was still an amazing episode. cheers to 5 great seasons of the clone wars, and to ahsoka, and to anakin the jedi hero. forever will this show and characters have an impact on who i am and how i live my life. i will carry them for the rest of my days :)

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  23. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, I was disappointed not to see "Revival" make the list, as I thoroughly enjoyed Obi-Wan in that adventure. That said, as "Overlords" is the only episode I ever rated a 10/10 in five seasons of The Clone Wars, I probably would have had to follow my conscience and give the opening act of the Mortis trilogy the nod over my Kenobi-love.

"Overlords" get it's points for having the guts to dive head-first into the Force, offering us a beautiful illustration of it's balancing act and providing at least a serviceable take on the Chosen One prophesy (and how Anakin viewed his place in it). This was a story which would have worked as a perfect stand-alone episode. Yes, if only our trip to Mortis could have been kept to those first 22 minutes. Oh, well, I'll certainly not hold what I see as the shortcomings of the following two episodes against this, the single best episode TCW ever produced during its run.

24. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Finally, the ultimate episode showdown has come. This isn't such an easy choice to make since there's so many solid episodes left; at first I thought of picking 'The Wrong Jedi' which I found to be a great, memorable and quite poignant episode, but I'll have to go with 'Grievous Intrigue' which has great action scenes, a solid rescue plot and a really nice TCW feel; on top of that the rewatchability value is pretty high (I could have went with either of those two, but I'm picking the one I did because I feel more familiar and at home with it).

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Carnage of Krell wins for me, but it was hard to choose between that and Rookies. I guess Rookies is a very close #2 for me. I also really enjoyed The Lawless and The Wrong Jedi, even though I disliked Maul's return and Ahsoka's presence in TCW in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.