main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Batman Begins. It was great!

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The Paperboy

Basically...not all Zefron movies are good [face_plain]

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Olympus Has Fallen: It's the one where a time-traveling Leonidas must save President Harvey Dent while Lucius Fox takes over. I guess Batman and Commissioner Gordon had the flu.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Killing Them Softly
    Criminals kill each other against the backdrop of the 2008 recession. Brad Pitt is a hitman. Slow and lingering with not a lot to say. Nice cinematography. 3.5 out of 5.

The Grey
    Liam Neeson and company must survive in the Alaskan wilderness among a pack of wolves. Effective and gripping. Nicely shot. Good performances as well. A full 5 out of 5 from me.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I prefer lasagna westerns myself.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Classic adventure film.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Marine

Not a bad movie

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Gastro Intestinal Joe 2: Retitleization: A huge step up from the original in every way possible, but it's still clichéd and incredibly (sometimes bafflingly) stupid. The cliff sword fight is indeed as fantastically choreographed as the trailers make it out to be.

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'The Gold Rush'(The silent 1925 version) I watched Chaplin's sound re-edit a few weeks ago and wanted to compare them. It's a brilliant film either way and there really aren't any differences. Chaplin is of course charming as the Tramp but what I think sticks out for me about the film is how dark the actual undertones of it are. It parodies cannibalism and growing insanity under claustrophobia in a kind of seemingly innocent way.

'Les Miserables'. Gosh I expected to hate it but it fell somewhere in the middle for me. Horrible performances from it's main cast and yet I kind of was drawn into the world despite the failings. The film looks beautiful and is wonderfully staged when there are crowd rousing numbers. The problem is when there are solo songs Hooper brings the camera so far into the faces of his singers that you get nothing from the performance and just feel you are being acted at.

10. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Let's Go to Prison. It's stupid, but still funny as hell.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Tom Hooper's Les Mis. It soars.=D=

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Zero Dark Thirty. Extremely impressive as a portrait of obsession, and interesting, if not the most reliable source, as a window behind the scenes of the effort to get Bin Laden. Not the best movie of the year, but one of many that were better than Argo.

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Wreck-it Ralph - What could've been nothing more than a shallow nostalgia trip is instead an imaginative and occasionally powerful tale about friendship, overcoming lables and what it really means to be a hero. - 8.5/10

14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    A Girl Walks Into a Bar

Carla Gugino was as bland as ever despite being in a role that could've been interesting. Danny DeVito and Robert Forster had bit parts that made it worth watching.

15. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    G.I Joe : Rise of the Cobra

Awesome film.

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Red Cliff (Netflix streaming) - very "Dynasty Warriors" esque, but there is a lot of heart at the core of this film. The chorography of the battle sequences was very well done.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Is that by John Woo? So lots of slow motion?

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Clash of the Titans

Not bad, would have been better if a couple of deaths weren't anti-climatic

19. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Still Walking (Aruitemo, Aruitemo)
    Japanese 'slice of life' drama about a three-generational family get-together to commemorate the death of the family's eldest son. Each of the family's generational constellations, so to speak, have their own issues and the film takes you through the 24 hours of their lives that they are gathered. There are no cathartic admissions, epiphanies or pivotal character moments or growth taking place here. It's just a day in their lives and their issues. It's sort of a cinematic reminder that we all have our own things we're dealing with. Its done in a quite natural and endearing way, and conflicts between family members play out in an understated subtle fashion. But it takes its sweet time, so it requires patience. I liked it overall, but I must confess I was getting a bit impatient toward the very end.

I remember also watching Tokyo Sonata a while back, which was also a family drama and that I also liked. If that was the more dramatic portrait of a tragically dysfunctional family, this is its subtler, more relaxed sibling about an average family.

I give it 4 out of 5.

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yes, it is by John Woo, and I only remember two parts with slow motion and neither were action scenes. But if there was more, it wasn't something that distracted me from the movie.

21. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Oz the Great and Powerful

I enjoyed it. It didn't feel like it was 2 hours long and the colors were rapturing. It was fun to watch.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Green Street Hooligans

Good movie, i enjoyed it

heels1785 likes this.
  23. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Double Indemnity.

Really good. Wish he had bled to death and died in the chair though. Been more poetic IMO.

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I rented Room 237, in which random unseen narrators campaign for their bogus theories about symbolism in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. It's a phenomenon of the internet age, that conspiracy theories have been elevated to the level of art form, made clear when they're aimed directly at another work of art. The movie is such a fun reminder of how the bogusness of an idea is completely independent from the eloquence of the person who is advocating for it. Room 237 was like a remake of the museum scene from Tim Burton's Batman, when the Joker and his henchmen playfully deface priceless works of art. Interpreting art can be a form of vandalism.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Signs

Loved this movie when i was younger, but now, it's very cheesy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.