main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Discuss/Regrade the Episode: S03E04: Sphere of Influence

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Mar 31, 2013.

?

April Fools! How do you grade Sphere of Influence?

1. 10/10

13.6%
  2. 9/10

4.5%
  3. 8/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 7/10

31.8%
  5. 6/10

13.6%
  6. 5/10

9.1%
  7. 4/10

4.5%
  8. 3/10

13.6%
  9. 2/10

4.5%
  10. 1/10

4.5%
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Episode 3.4!! Sphere of Influence
    Trade Federation is in da house!

[​IMG]
    "A child stolen is a hope lost"

Chi Eekway and Che Amanwa, Chairman Papanoida's daughters, are kidnapped and held for ransom. Ahsoka Tano teams up with the Senatorfrom Pantora, Riyo Chuchi, to aid the new chairman in recovering his family before the Trade Federation can unduly influence the future of his planet. The Chairman and his son, Ion, track down the kidnapper --Greedo -- on Tatooine, and rescue Che Amanwe. Meanwhile, Ahsoka and Chuchi find Chi Eekway held captive aboard a blockading Trade Federation battleship over Pantora, and expose Trade Federation officer Sib Canay as a Separatist conspirator.

http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep304/#!/about

Now that you've rewatch the episode lets regrade it. Feel free to discuss as much as you like

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OK...

Microseries episode picture, OS link to Supply Lines, header says Sphere of Influence which we were regrading next...not fair to us old people who are easily duped. :p

Sphere of Influence was an annoying Mad Skillz Snips episode that got a 2/10 from me; I discussed it here .

3. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    I dont get it, what do we grade here?

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I give this April Fools thread a 1/10.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    0/10 for this Prank

6. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    And Darth Vader gives his first non-10!

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Awesome.

9. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Okay now I know what to review. damn april fools prank

Positives

+Pantorans and seeing Chairman Cho if only for a brief second
    +Tan Divo and the Robo Cops
    +GREEDO. He was pretty cool in this episode
    +Jabba and his son again
    +Trade Federation dudes, theyre always so epic
    +Nemodian guards
    +George Lucas' character
    +Ahsoka and the mind trick

Negatives

-Trade federation being "Neutral" yet still on the galactic senate -_-
    -Tan Divo being an idiot and finding no evidence.. he should have found something
    -Something felt off about this episode, like it was too short and not too much happened

Overall I'd give this episode a solid 8/10, however the whole neutral stuff really grinds my gears. So it gets a 7/10.... good episode, however could have used many improvements. Greedo was really good in this episode he redeemed it forsure.

10. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    6/10

+Papanoidas were a good addition
    +Padmé reminded of the Naboo crsis
    +"I still can't believe they let you teach..."
    +Ahsoka learning the Mind Trick
    +Trade Federation interior was well-designed

-Ahsoka and Chuchi are now friends?
    -Blood device, a bit of deus ex machina
    -Trade Federation's neutrality is a bit stretched here
    -Greedo's inclusion felt a bit unnecessary
    -Tan Divo

Average episode, good and bad moments. Nothing too memorable.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Wait, Tan Divo's in this episode? 10/10

cwustudent and CaptainRex115 like this.
  12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I don't even remember this episode.

13. CaptainRex115

Jan 11, 2013
    Yeah he makes a short cameo... he's seen leaving the crime scene with his robo cops but he says theyres "no evidence of foul play"... then leaves.

14. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I really enjoyed this one. One of the better standalone episodes, with quite a bit of fanservice. We got George Lucas with an Orson Welles inspired voice, his kids, Greedo, a return to Jabba's Palace and Mos Eisley. I also liked seeing Jabba's Palace upgraded from when we last saw it in the series, and several OT aliens. Trespass was a favorite of mine in season 1, and I see this one as a semi-sequel, so another plus there. We also get Ahsoka and Chuchi sneaking about a Trade Federation ship, which was a nice nod to the beginning of TPM.

What I also really liked was the use of cameos. I mean, yes Greedo appearing makes it a small universe, but at the same time he really wasn't interacting with any of the main TCW characters aside from Ahsoka. Even then, Greedo's conflict was with Papanoida. I'd rather not get into that whole "Greedo the Elder" business, because I think it is nonsense to assign human aging to GFFA aliens. If GL says Greedo was always a punk hired gun based on Tatooine then so be it. Makes him all the more pathetic in ANH, which is how I've always seen him.

8.5/10 from me.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Repressed this episode successfully. Until now.

cwustudent and CaptainRex115 like this.
  16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    When I'm skimming through the thread titles, this one keeps blurring together as "degrade the episode" in my mind.

It sucked...

Actually this episode was one of the ones I re-watched - which I don't usually do - because I wanted to remember what was said regarding TF neutrality in the episode.

I didn't hate it as much as I did upon first viewing, but it was still fairly poor.

I'd give it a 4/10

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I gave it a 7.5/10, but a 7/10 for this poll.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Having the Papanoidas was a good idea, but it would've been even better if George Lucas did the voice for Baron considering he played him in ROTS. There was some good action with the shoot out in the cantina, and the Papanoidas seem really well trained in combat. Seeing SpongeBob, I mean Greedo was cool, I never really liked him that much in ANH, but he was alright in this episode.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  18. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This episode was a mess.
    First of all, I like Chuchi, and truthfully I wish they'd given her more of an overarching role in the series instead of constantly shoehorning in Padme into anything remotely involving the Senate or general politics. However, the sudden, and rather random introduction of a friendship between her and Ahsoka without even the slightest hint of foreshadow was jarring, to say the least. It would be one thing if the story of their meeting and subsequent bonding had been told in another source such as one of the series' webcomics, or even alluded to in a moment of offhand dialogue, but instead we're just given a situation of "It is what it is because we say it is, and we're moving along..." Definite minus one.

We've got more of this Trade Federation neutrality business, out-of-place Anakin humor about a starving planetary population―which given his personal experience, he should have felt much more strongly about, instead of just using it as a chance for a "smooth" one-liner―too much strange plot convenience that took me out of the story, and more Tan Divo. Is he the only detective in the Senate District? Sorry Todd, but I hate this guy. Maybe I've been spoiled by Republic Commando's portrayal of a competent CSF, but when I heard the show was bringing in CSF, I was hoping for more Jaller Obrim-level of effectiveness instead of Star Wars' own Inspector Clouseau. Altogether an additional minus two.

Separating my general dislike of Lucas from Baron Papanoida, I don't have any problem with his character or his family. At the same time, however, the plot was essentially a less interesting version of Taken and while the Baron was admittedly pretty cool, the show failed to evoke any real emotion. Unlike with Taken, I never felt the same strong desire to see the protagonist succeed other than a general "That's wrong and kinda sucks" feeling. His daughters were too bland, and even Seth Green seemed to be phoning it in. For the lack of true engagement with and entertainment value in that storyline, minus one. And then we have yet another unnecessary tangle with canon by way of Greedo. Immediate minus one for that mess.

Summarily, a meager 5 out of 10 for a boring, largely cliche and contrived, and often annoying episode.

TaradosGon and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

:p

But still, we barely got Delta. I'd have been extremely surprised to see any consistency with the CSF as portrayed by Traviss.

Mia Mesharad and TaradosGon like this.
  20. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    10/10

Really liked this episode. Having Greedo appear was a nice touch. Tan Divo's cameo was nice too. I love how incompetent he is at his job.

21. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    It's an OK episode; nothing great and nothing bad. The kidnapping plot was in itself alright; I liked Papanoida and his family as focal characters and Greedo was a nice inclusion (I'm not gonna talk about the retconning of his past). I have to admit that I liked Tan Divo's little cameo in this one (he's a pretty fun character) and Riyo & Ahsoka's little rescue story aboard the Trade federation ship wasn't all that bad. I liked the Jabba's palace stuff and the cantina gunfight was probably my favorite part; it was like a good ol' western saloon shootout. The episode is definitely not perfect by any means but it's still quite enjoyable.

6/10