main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Peter Jackson and Ep VIII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, Apr 1, 2013.

1. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

This is pretty much how I feel about this. I'm still not convinced that it isn't a very clever, subtle April Fool's Day hoax, but ... we'll see.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  2. Gilrod

Gilrod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 26, 2003
    Both shots are clearly "inserts" added later. In the full, 45 minute version of the behind the scenes footage, neither the close-up of the mug or the close-up of under the coffee table is there. He is handed the Colbert mug in a wide-shot at 26:45 at www.thehobbit.com/sneak and picks up the artwork at 32:10. This is from a livestream from last Sunday for everyone who purchased the DVD or Blu-Ray.

Throughout the whole scene, no camera is recording those two angles. We would have seen the camera and operator for at least the shot with the mug. Very clever editing and a good prank!

TreborSabreon and lbr789 like this.
  3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Mystery solved. Nothing to see here...

4. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    PJ is pretty good at hoaxes. Anyone seen one of his works Forgotten Silver? For anyone outside of New Zealand it probably won't mean much, but when it aired on TV here back in the day, it fooled a lot of people....

This one very subtle, very clever....

5. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    If so? Then he would've had to have got the nod from Disney to use the logo. I'm so confused!!!

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It's true I spoke to Peter Jackson the other day & He will be the director for Episode VIII , regarless of how EP VII does JJ Abrams won't be on board ....Ep VIII will be filmed in N.Z with all the crew back from The Hobbit , it will also be filmed in 48 FPS & Mark Hamill has already brought a house in Wellington N.Z & Harrison Ford was also interested in getting some realstate there too ............

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I agree 100%

8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Eh? Why would he?
    You can get a logo off the web in like 5 seconds if you want to pull a prank on someone.

9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Nothing to get excited about. It's simply a nice little easter egg/joke, and one that's pretty amusing I must say.

As someone mentioned a few posts above, The Silmarillion rights are completely off limits to Jackson, as well as every single Tolkien work that is not LOTR or The Hobbit. I always get flustered when people talk about The Hobbit and how cool it is that there are 3 movies, because it was going to include material from The Silmarillion and other Tolkien works, and that is not the case. In fact, an actual legal scholar representing the Tolkien Estate is involved on the production of The Hobbit trilogy to ensure that no Tolkien material outside LOTR and The Hobbit books appear in the new films. Additional material in The Hobbit films comes from the LOTR Appendices.

Tolkien sold media/film rights to The Hobbit and LOTR to United Artists in the 60s, who then sold it to the Saul Zaentz Company. Zaentz's Middle-earth Enterprises continues to hold the film/media/merchandising rights to these two Tolkien properties, and licensed them out to Warner Bros, New Line, and MGM for the creation of Jackson's Middle-Earth films (as well as the older animated Tolkien films).

The Tolkien Estate holds all rights to everything else by Tolkien, including The Silmarillion, and considering they despise Jackson's film series, I don't foresee them selling or licensing the rights to any of Tolkien's works for film/TV development.

So like the Episode VIII "script" in the Live Event Video, the "script" of The Silmarillion is nothing more than a clever, innocent joke.

JainaSoloYJK and TreborSabreon like this.
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yuck. No thanks [face_waiting]

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Oh yeah, certainly a joke. There's no way Chris Tolkien is letting PJ anywhere near the Silmarillion. I think it's just an inside joke.

12. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
  13. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    Definitely April Fools, we have the 'Disney buying Middle Earth Enterprises' and then we have the compliment going back 'Peter Jackson doing ep VIII'. Its funny though, and who knows if it may happen but Id say it is off limits to be making a decision on this right now, I think there is a greater probability of him doing ep IX, however is PJ a next generation director? I still think Colin Trevorrow will be VIII dependent on how he handles JP IV. One does not go from an indie black comedy to a tent pole release unless someone is bigging you up.

14. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I wish Peter Jackson would have been choosen to direct from the begining! This would be EPIC!

Sadly this is for sure an April Fools Joke.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    My dream: Peter Jackson directs Episode 8, Chris Nolan does Episode 9.

Jcuk likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I can't stand the Tolkien estate. Incredibly selfish.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They should get J.R.R Tolkien to direct Episode IX...

18. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I love PJ and his visuals are amazing, but I dont know if I want a 3 hour movie of C3PO and R2 wondering around the desert of Tatooine..

-C

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Still beggars belief why the Hobbit had to be turned into a trilogy? A 2 parter at best. (Shrug)

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If PJ did it, they would have to have a stipulation in his contract that the film has a 150 minute max running time.

21. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Maybe also testing the waters...a p jax star wars would be sweeeeeet!

22. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    As much as I like Nolan, I can't see him doing Star Wars.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Haha, I missed this one. Clever PJ, very clever. I wouldn't mind seeing what he did with Episode VIII.

24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    My dream trio to direct (would've been), Jackson EVII, Ridley Scott EVIII, Christopher Nolan IX. But I'm cool with JJ.

25. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I thought this thread was an April Fools joke? No?

SW could do worse than PJ - I enjoy the LotR trilogy (Hobbit not so much, good but too slow), he uses CGI well (Gollum), battles are epic, thought his King Kong remake was enjoyable enough, District 9 was good, he's worked with puppets on Meet The Feebles, even Braindead was fun, and last but not least he's a Star Wars fan.

And agreed, Chris Nolan for EPIX